Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: mouse mystery  (Read 8069 times)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
mouse mystery
« on: September 01, 2008, 10:21:31 AM »

TD rises from his sickbed, Lazarus like but twice as ugly, to plague you all once again with drivel and nonsense.

In this instance, plague is the right word as the title of the post does not refer to a PC mouse, but to the real furry job.

A few days back i noticed tell-tale signs of meeces in my outhouse and have been diligently placing my one and only mouse trap in a suitable location.
Over the last five days, I have snared and disposed of five of the little critturs.............don't like killing, but you can't have rodents running about.

Well, and to the mystery. Last night, I baited the trap as usual but on going to check on the slaughter this am..............no mice caught.............in fact no mouse trap.

The trap had gone !  :-\

If a mouse had been caught but not killed, it may have been able to drag the trap a bit in an effort to get to safety, but in that event it is for sure a strong mouse and not one that I would want to meet on a dark night.
Having searched the outhouse, cannot find any evicence to that effect.

Could a dead or dying mouse have attracted a predator ? Dogs, cats, foxes, badgers could not get into the building...........a stoat or a weasel might but there is no sign of a feast or a struggle to get the trap plus mouse out of the building.

What are the opinions as to this mystery ?

dave.m

• Kitizen
Re: mouse mystery
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 11:43:02 AM »

TD,
Doesn't explain your missing mousetrap but thought it might cheer you up and take your mind off the plague:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPtlWjutr18

dave

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 11:48:36 AM »

:lol:

Accordion

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 11:50:29 AM »

Having just read a story by Terry Pratchett featuring intelligent rats, maybe the mice got together and carted the trap off somewhere.

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 12:11:33 PM »

TD,
This where you went wrong.
You should have used a shoebox lid upsidedown to prevent the mouse nicking the trap.
Fourth para down explains it:
http://www.essortment.com/all/mousetrapdispo_ruua.htm

So it must be somewhere in the area, possibley with a mouse tail or leg still caught in it.

dave

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 12:26:32 PM »

A good bait for mice is "Chocolate" if other baits fail that is.

PS.
I liked the video, excellent.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 12:36:23 PM »

I hadn't thought of the shoe box lid trick.............will give it a go (if I ever get my trap back  :() but if these rodents are of the Accordion super intelli variety, I'm sure they would find a way round that.
Just thought.................missing trap..intelli-mice..................must get onto ebay to see if they have posted it for sale yet.

Yup, chocolate is a good bait, and one used to great effect this week, until, that is, this mystery unfolded.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 12:48:57 PM »

I had a funny thing that used to happen some years ago.

Occasionally I would kill a large spider and intend to clear it up later, although I usually forgot about it and the next morning it was gone.
However, I set-up my video camera one night trained upon this dead spider, lo and behold, shortly after I had gone to bed a mouse came out and eat it, mystery solved.

Except I had no inclination that I had mice in the house, never a sign of them.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 03:27:37 PM »

Living in the country side we get a lot of mice, from our local council we can get free poison pellets.
In the past I have even tied the mouse trap with a piece of wire to a post.

This reminds me when I used to give my free help to a local school.
One weekend I set about making about 10 plastic box's with a hole in the side and a mouse trap inside (this was to stop the children getting there fingers trapped).
As I took my daughter to school on the Monday morning I went around picking all the box's up (each had a dead mouse in it ) .
The head mistress then shouted at me that it was cruel and it would upset the children  :'(   I then pointed out that these are rodents and had been found all over the school,  they run across the classroom floor during lessons, made a nest in one of the children's drawers, in the kitchen, gone in the children's lunch box's. the school was over run with them.
I had a word with the council and said that because it was a charity run school they should charge (not council run), But because I had known him for some time he let me have the poison pellets and some tamper proof box's and with in a few weeks all the mice had gone ;)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 06:22:00 PM »

If you come across a live one face to face I use a spray we have on our vans which is in effect wd40, but I have a faulty nozzle which sends out a jet insteand of a spray, It blinds the little buggers so they can't getyou then either a shovel in a guilotene like fashion or a hammer does the trick.

They pop up in the underground boxes through the cableing ducts  :no:

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 06:25:10 PM »

Ezzer,

Your just wicked and cruel.  :whip:

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 07:29:33 PM »

Yes, I am out in the countryside too, and mice are not an unusual occurance.

These ones are field mice which are attractive animals in a way, at least when compared to house mice. Don't like killing them, but can't let them spread to the house.

OF has spider eating mice  :silly: :swoon:............good grief ! I think it is best not to think too hard about what is creeping around even the cleanest of houses, you would never get any sleep if you did.

Well, I took everything out the outbuilding, swept and scrubbed the floor and walls, shook out everything, turned the boxes over and shook them out etc etc..........and no sign of the trap. :-\
Did find their entry hole, now suitably blocked up with cement, but no way could a trap have been dragged down it.much too small.

Mystery remains, then, and a trip tomorrow into the bright lines for more traps.  :(   

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 07:37:34 PM »

I hope you remembered to mix broken glass in with the cement.
That was their doorway, so they will just open it up again.

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 08:17:24 AM »

TD - check under your pillow before sleeping tonight ....... mouse revenge !!!
Paul

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 10:02:52 AM »

TD - check under your pillow before sleeping tonight ....... mouse revenge !!!

:silly:
Pages: [1] 2

anything