Broadband Related > FTTC and FTTP Issues

Vodafone FTTP Service Issue

(1/4) > >>

tiffy:
Have just migrated my FTTP BB & LL service from BT to Vodafone, went live on 26/03, 4 days ago.
Actual migration of BB & LL was faultless, retained existing LL number.
The VF THG3000 Hub is a bit "quirky" to configure, my setup is likely more complex than average due to my Home Assistant integration with quite a lot of associated devices, eventually got everything connected.

However, in the few days of operation have experienced that I'am getting frequent and seemingly random short periods where (most) web sites can't be reached, not a local internet disconnect as such, both hub and ONT LED's indicate normal status.
This condition usually lasts for about 15 to 20 min's then everything just returns to normal, appears from the local perspective to be completely random!

Just in case, have disabled PiHole and browser ad blockers although have never had any previous issues with either.
Running Win 10 Pro on desktop PC, browsers are Firefox and Google Chrome.
Have any forum Vodafone ISP users ever experienced similar issues?
Have not yet tried to contact Vodafone support but likely will have to soon, from reputation not looking forward to that experience.

spaace:
DNS server issues?

trying pinging by IP next time it goes down to check.

broadstairs:
I have not experienced anything like this since migrating last January. I do not use Vodafone DNS servers but do periodically check mine using DNS Benchmark from Gibson Research to make sure the ones I have set are still the best. the only thing both my wife and I have occasional issue with on a phone or tablet is the BBC News app which refuses to load data but I suspect that maybe the app.

Stuart

tiffy:
Did try contacting Vodafone support for guidance and can unfortunately confirm that they did indeed live up to their very poor reputation!
First experience was on the chat line where the support agent was obsessed with it being a Wi-Fi issue despite repeatedly stating that my desktop PC was directly ethernet connected to the hub, gave up eventually when he agreed that the issue should be escalated to level 2 support at my request.

VF level 2 support did actually make contact by phone within the promised 48 hour scale.
The agent had very poor english, had great difficulty understanding, sounded like a Filipino but of course could have been anywhere, I felt embarrased repeatedly asking to say again, he must have thought I was deaf.
Unfortunately, he was equally obsessed with perceived Wi-Fi issues, concluding that I would need to disconnect some of my Home Assistant Wi-Fi devices, too many on the system??
Tried to steer him towards a possible DNS issue, he stated that the hub must be left on "auto DNS server" selection in order to use the VF DNS resolver.

So, gave up on Vodafone support.
Having consulted with a number of very helpful and knowledgable patrons on the Vodafone members forum took their advice and set the hub DNS server selection to manual selecting 1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare) as primary and 8.8.8.8 (Google) as secondary, this appeared to cure the issue completely.

I run PiHole/Unbound on a RPi-3B as a recursive server, had taken this out of the system as process of elimination with the issue in hand.
The Pi was running on Debian "Buster" OS which was becoming troublesome to update, re-installed PiHole/Unbound on a fresh install of Debian "Bullseye" OS.
When happy that system was stable, reset the hub DNS server selection primary to the Pi IP address, secondary to 1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare), left Windows PC IPv4 DNS server selection at auto (default).
All stable so far :fingers:   

broadstairs:
Justifies my decision to always set my own DNS servers, I've never used any of my ISPs DNS servers.

Stuart

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version