Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Does this look like FTTP?  (Read 803 times)

carlmagic

Does this look like FTTP?
« on: April 01, 2024, 01:27:31 PM »

Hi All,

Does this look like work to setup FTTP or maybe something else? (i'm hoping for FTTP!) It was done over the bank holiday weekend.

The only thing worrying is it says Company: VM on the cable?

Hopefully someone may know?

Thanks,
« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 01:35:44 PM by carlmagic »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Does this look like FTTP?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2024, 01:55:36 PM »

Its a bit strange it doesn't have the yellow line marking it as fibre, but I can't see Virgin Media (which seems likely given the VM) rolling out more COAX now their plan is to replace it all with fibre.

Also the shape of that pod looks like it could hold fibre splicing trays to me.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

timmy85

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2024, 05:13:15 PM »

I think the black pod in the first photo is some copper OR infrastructure....... There's a bunch of them around where I live and have been here for years but no sign of FTTP from OR even being considered here yet.

But yea, those cables defo look like they are Virgin Media or next Fibre. What does it look like on http://bidb.uk for the closest postcodes?

When Next Fibre/VM roll out, from what I've seen they tend to mount their CBT's on a bracket similar to this https://tinyurl.com/mvbb6nn2
« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 05:16:20 PM by timmy85 »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2024, 05:08:07 PM »

When Next Fibre/VM roll out, from what I've seen they tend to mount their CBT's on a bracket similar to this https://tinyurl.com/mvbb6nn2

That bracket is only necessary when a pole is congested. Openreach also frequently use them (your picture is 2 Openreach CBT's on the bracket).
For poles with little to no hardware at the top then the bracket wouldn't be needed.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

carlmagic

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2024, 07:34:03 PM »

Its a bit strange it doesn't have the yellow line marking it as fibre, but I can't see Virgin Media (which seems likely given the VM) rolling out more COAX now their plan is to replace it all with fibre.

Also the shape of that pod looks like it could hold fibre splicing trays to me.

I also thought that they would not roll out more copper. Having had a drive around the village going to work it seems some random telephone poles are the same they have the same extra cables now dangling so something is definietly going on.

I think the black pod in the first photo is some copper OR infrastructure....... There's a bunch of them around where I live and have been here for years but no sign of FTTP from OR even being considered here yet.

But yea, those cables defo look like they are Virgin Media or next Fibre. What does it look like on http://bidb.uk for the closest postcodes?

Unfortunately cant see any work planned on bidb except 1 near by which is open reach i think needing a road closed to clear a duct? Unless they are doing it for then nextfibre/virgin to do their thing.

I'm sure that extra bracket is new but maybe i'm imaging it.

That bracket is only necessary when a pole is congested. Openreach also frequently use them (your picture is 2 Openreach CBT's on the bracket).
For poles with little to no hardware at the top then the bracket wouldn't be needed.

I'm sure that extra bracket is new but maybe i'm imaging it.

i tried contacting VM support to see if they are coming to the are but I dont think customer services even knew what day it is never mind what the plan is. So for now I guess i need to just be patient.

Was reading online though that they do support 2gbit symetrical so that could be interesting!

carlmagic

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2024, 07:40:35 PM »

I've had a closer look today at the pole. Climbed a near by wall to get a closer look! Looking at this cable it has the same green line on the outside as the one in other pictures of XGS-PON. And the cable that is bundled also seems to be fibre optic with property of virgin media on it. So all things point to it being XGS.

Fingers crossed!! Any idea on that the time frame would be after seeing them put these cables on the poles to go live?

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2024, 08:35:11 PM »

Depends on how all the poles have been fed but shouldn't be too long. Be lucky you aren't fed underground like I am. They dug past my house in October! Still can't order, haha
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller