Broadband Related > Mobile broadband

Remote Farm House In The Peak District.

(1/3) > >>

tickmike:
There is a good possibility that I will book this remote old farm house for a weeks holiday in February, There is No WiFi / Internet.  :(

Using this ofcom checker
https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/en-gb/mobile-coverage

There is chance that there will be some 'Data' signal inside the property (it will be thick stone walls), it's fringe area, No 5G.

My iPad has No sim slot, my phone is on PAYG and is used for emergency only and I never turn the 'Data' on and normally use our home/ others WiFi to surf with.

My wife's phone is on a basic EE contract with limited data use.

Not sure how far an iPhone 'HOT' spot signal will go ?.

What idea do you have for me to use my iPad and Laptop on WiFi for the week.

Our Car has WiFi, but would have to sit in it with the engine running, not ideal. :(

tubaman:
My first reaction would be to say to manage as we used to before we had wifi/internet but I know that is easier said than done nowadays.
I'd first inquire of the house owner what the mobile signal is like (and on which networks) as the coverage checkers are notoriously unreliable. Once you know that you then need to think about how much data you actually need as if it's only for emails it won't be a lot and you could likely use one of the phones you have.
As for a hot spot signal it'll certainly work fine in a large room but thick stone walls might not play (true for any wifi).
Failing that just pack plenty of board games!

tickmike:
Yes I remember the days before mobile phones  :)

It's owned by the National Trust and yes I have asked, they have no idea if there is any signal.

What's these mobile routers or is that going over the top ?.

I use these for our car Sim https://www.rwgmobile.wales/rates-plans-eng-per/

Might it be easier just to get a cheap data sim for my phone and use that.

tubaman:
A mobile router is a router with a sim slot but is overkill for a one-off like this as you can hotspot your phone as you have said
A cheap data sim is probably your best bet if you can work out which network is likely to work (are there no reviews of the property that refer to the mobile signal?)

Alex Atkin UK:
To be fair, isn't the point of a holiday like that to get away from technology? ;)

Sounds like one of the circles of hell to me.  ::)

But yeah, the cheap 4G routers tend to have much worse reception than phones so better off with a PAYG monthly SIM in your phone from someone like SMARTY, VOXI, etc.  But you really need to know which networks are in range.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version