Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: My initial experience of migrating to Vodafone Full Fibre  (Read 6981 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: My initial experience of migrating to Vodafone Full Fibre
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2024, 03:43:34 PM »

Its good to see Vodafone doing so well as I believe they had a pretty poor reputation when they were rolling out VDSL.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2024, 04:59:04 PM »

Its good to see Vodafone doing so well as I believe they had a pretty poor reputation when they were rolling out VDSL.
Yes their "first line" customer support was foreign based, not sure if that's still the case and reviews were very bad, hopefully better now :fingers:
However, with retail outlets in most towns there's always the option to directly interact with a human, I think Stuart (broadstairs) used this option when his initial order went wrong with some success.

I like the idea that they will permit 3rd party hardware supplying ID & PW to accomodate, issue a static public IP FOC and give VOIP phone configuration details on request.
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2024, 08:40:44 PM »

Final update on my daughters BT to Vodafone FTTP migration today, 1st Feb.
Did not get time to visit the residence until this afternoon, found the BT SH-2 had already disconnected, installed the VF HUB which connected without any issues, completely plug-n-play.
Plugged in an old Gigaset DECT base station (with new handset nimh batteries fitted) directly to the router via a RG11 to BT631A adapter (not supplied) and phone fully tested with the new digital phone number supplied by VF, everything working perfectly, BB DL/UL speeds fully to contract expectation.

As Stuart (broadstairs) has already reported, found that on line access to "My Fodafone" was now permitted, two factor authorisation is in place, PW + text to designated mobile.
All in all a very painless migration process carried out on time with lots of status updates along the way, most impressed.
Plan to connect the Hub phone line to the old existing phone distribution system in order to move the DECT base station to a better location, have ordered up a short RG11 to BT631A adapter cable for this and will of course disconnect the old (now dead) copper feed pair first. 

Many thanks to Stuart (broadstairs) for the very comprehensive and detailed thread which prompted this migration, I hope to follow suit with my BB & Digital Phone in March when my existing BT contract terminates. 

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2024, 09:52:37 PM »

Glad it went well. I'm sure my issue with the initial order was probably human error as the second one went fine.

Because of all the hassle with the first order they sent me a VF Hub for that first order, and then another hub with the second order so I now have a spare  ;) unless they ask for it back  :-X

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2024, 11:21:43 AM »

Because of all the hassle with the first order they sent me a VF Hub for that first order, and then another hub with the second order so I now have a spare  ;) unless they ask for it back  :-X
Yes, I had a similar scenario with my previous Zen FTTC to BT FTTP migration, first order "disappeared" after they had dispatched the SH-2 Hub and a second order had to be raised which resulted in a second Hub arriving.
BT very quickly "demanded" that the first Hub was returned which I did immediately, unopened, it was at least 2 months before they accepted that the unit had been returned and issued regular threats of charges in the interim period.

BT seem to be very pedantic with respect to equipment return, most other ISP don't seem to bother, time will tell with Vodafone, hope you get to keep your spare Hub by way of compensation for the earlier order mix up. 

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2024, 11:30:18 AM »

Yes BT are insistent now that Hubs are returned. I posted mine and it never showed up as delivered but BT emailed me to say they had received it over about 10 days after I posted it using their pre-paid label with 48hr tracking!

Stuart

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2024, 04:49:37 PM »

After my daughters very successful and painless migration BT to Vodafone yesterday as reported, she has received 2 texts today from BT stating that there is an issue with her BB and requesting that she checks the ONT/Hub connection ???

On the positive side, it's good to know that BT would proactivly check BB connection health and report to user, however, somewhat surprising that this should occur the day after a successful migration to another ISP?
Perhaps a different department ;D

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2024, 10:41:25 AM »

After my daughters very successful and painless migration BT to Vodafone yesterday as reported, she has received 2 texts today from BT stating that there is an issue with her BB and requesting that she checks the ONT/Hub connection.
On closer examination of the texts realised that they were from Openreach, apologies to BT, were obviously refering to the new Vodafone connection and requesting confirmation that it was working correctly, just required a one word answer.
I know it's unusual for Openreach to contact customers directly which probably led to the confusion on my part :-[

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2024, 12:36:22 PM »

On closer examination of the texts realised that they were from Openreach, apologies to BT, were obviously refering to the new Vodafone connection and requesting confirmation that it was working correctly, just required a one word answer.
I know it's unusual for Openreach to contact customers directly which probably led to the confusion on my part :-[

It does seem kinda flawed, as the average customer is not going to know who Openreach even is.

You'd think it would say something like:
hi, its Openreach who recently connected your broadband on behalf of Vodafone.  We just wanted to check everything is working okay.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2024, 01:24:49 PM »

It does seem kinda flawed, as the average customer is not going to know who Openreach even is.

You only get that msg on FTTP and their name is on the ONT.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2024, 02:01:19 PM »

Having had a phone call quite recently from "Openreach" I'd by default treat any such communication as attempted spam/fraud UNLESS I'd been warned in advance by the supplier I'd contracted with.  :no:
(I did contact both BT Retail and Openreach and they confirmed that neither had any reason to call me, nor had they tried)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2024, 02:28:34 PM »

You only get that msg on FTTP and their name is on the ONT.

You have an awful lot of faith in people if you think they pay attention to that sort of thing. ;)

Having had a phone call quite recently from "Openreach" I'd by default treat any such communication as attempted spam/fraud UNLESS I'd been warned in advance by the supplier I'd contracted with.  :no:
(I did contact both BT Retail and Openreach and they confirmed that neither had any reason to call me, nor had they tried)

That too.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2024, 02:33:19 PM by Alex Atkin UK »

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2024, 05:12:33 PM »

Once I had a successful contract with Vodafone I got several texts from OpenReach about the migration and one afterwards asking if all was OK. I  think this is now normal on full fibre.

Stuart

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2024, 03:20:17 PM »

@broadstairs:
Wonder if you have had any BT exit billing issues?
Checked my daughters BT account today which is still open post her BT/VF migration completion on 1st. Feb, was surprised to see that there was notification of the next bill, to be issued on 21st. Feb, this advises of an amount for the new post contract full, non-discounted monthly amount!

Her BT 2 Yr. contract ended on 20th. Jan and as stated, BB migration was completed on 1st. Feb..
My understanding is that all ISP's charge for services in advance, so what I would have expected at most was a bill (at the new rate) from 21st. Jan to 1st. Feb only.
As your circumstances were very similar other than migrating your digital phone LL number to VF, she took a new LL number, wonder if you had any similar issues?

Obviously will have to get on the phone to BT accounts, she has not had a chance to do this yet.
To expectation, the returned router & PSU, sent on 10th. Jan, is still showing outstanding, seems to take weeks if not months for this to be acknowledged and many "warnings" of impending charges are usually issued in the interim period.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2024, 03:48:02 PM »

I had a normal BT bill and then the next one refunded about 95% of what was paid and it showed as final settlement.  As for return of the kit if it is about 2 weeks or more after you posted it then phone up which is what I did and they confirmed it was received despite still showing on Royal Mail tracking as being stuck in the system. I don't think they bother to tell RM.

Stuart
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5