Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: My initial experience of migrating to Vodafone Full Fibre  (Read 6959 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: My initial experience of migrating to Vodafone Full Fibre
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2024, 02:50:58 PM »

I have backed up the configuration after I changed my settings so if I need a factory reset I can reload them.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2024, 03:30:58 PM »

Well our house phone has now been transferred to Vodafone and is working fine, just tested it. So migration now complete including Digital Voice retaining original number. It probably took about 14-15 hours from start to finish but as has been suggested the phone takes the vast majority of that time.

Stuart

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2024, 04:24:08 PM »

Well our house phone has now been transferred to Vodafone and is working fine, just tested it. So migration now complete including Digital Voice retaining original number. It probably took about 14-15 hours from start to finish but as has been suggested the phone takes the vast majority of that time
Excellent news, great that the full migration process went so well after your earlier signing up issues.

I assume you are using a DECT base station connected to the VF Hub?
Have you found the VF Hub's user interface adequate for your configuration needs?
Quite a few VF users on their members forum have opted for 3rd party routers, permissable and very easy to do for BB service but more complex for digital phone service usually requiring additional hardware and FV VoIP configuration details which they are reluctant to disclose.
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2024, 04:36:18 PM »

Yes that earlier issue was I believe caused by human error.

There is no configuration for the phone. Yes I am using a DECT phone plugged in using my in-house original wiring from previous non-DV phone allowing router upstairs and DECT base station in kitchen. This is what I did with the BT Hub as I did not like their DV adapter which I felt created a poor signal and some interference.

As for the main router configuration so far I've found it quite easy to use and had no issues - yet. Although I've enabled Wi-Fi on it we don't use it as I have the BT mesh system which handles that.

Time will tell but so far it seems straight forward. My only issue right now is that when I used their Android Broadband app to modify the device names to meaningful ones these changes do not seem to have migrated to the router so when I use the browser interface the names are still the mac address  >:(

Stuart

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2024, 05:31:46 PM »

There is no configuration for the phone. Yes I am using a DECT phone plugged in using my in-house original wiring from previous non-DV phone allowing router upstairs and DECT base station in kitchen. This is what I did with the BT Hub as I did not like their DV adapter which I felt created a poor signal and some interference.
Regarding the VoIP digital phone, I currently use the BT DV Wi-Fi analogue adapter which allowed siting the DECT base station in it's original location, hall table, works very well for me, could have just sited the DECT BS at the HUB of course!

Interesting regarding the Hub to old copper phone wiring connection, sounds like a very good idea.
Can remember a post quite a few months ago I believe by "NewtronStar" regarding the logistics of such a setup but can't for the life of me find the post now!
Wonder would you have any details of the wiring involved, RJ11 plugs, adapters, cables etc?

PS. Don't forget to change your profile :)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 05:35:58 PM by tiffy »

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2024, 05:57:54 PM »

Profile done. Plugs are different between BT and Vodafone. I'll update again later.

Stuart

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2024, 10:40:26 PM »

The wiring was straight forward for the BT Hub which uses a BS6312 plug to connect the phone and I have a couple of RJ11 to BS6312 adapters, so I connected an RJ11 to RJ11 cable using these adapters to the BT Hub and the old ADSL box in my loft which still has the cabling connected to the faceplate and on to my kitchen socket (BS6312) downstairs. When I got the Vodafone hub it uses RJ11 sockets for the two phone connections so all I had to do was remove the adapter on the end of the cable and plugged in the RJ11 plug. Works fine. Obviously I cold do this because I had not removed the cabling when I converted to DV.

It was a bit subjective about the BT DV adapter but my wife who has hearing issues kept on complaining about the home phone being not clear and didn't like using it, where her mobile was fine. Once I changed to utilise the old wiring direct to the hub she stopped complaining and was happy to use the home phone. So obviously that's the way it stays  ;)

Stuart

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2024, 11:10:04 AM »

Many thanks Stuart for providing the wiring details and the detailed saga of your BT to VF BB & digital phone migration process, much appreciated, I'am sure this will be of interest to many forum patrons.
I still have extensive phone distribution wiring in place so will certainly keep this method in mind when I change ISP's from BT in March with VF being the most likely contender at present.

I signed my daughter up for VF BB last night from her current BT 150/30 FTTP service, had already dropped her LL service with FTTP.
Quite a big saving for 100/20 FTTP service which is sufficient to her needs at present over BT whose contract renewal best offer was the same price as per the first 2 year contract ie, no end of contract increase.
VF also give a free (not calls) new digital phone number as well with the contract which may or may not be used.
Migration booked for 1st Feb, confirmation e-mail notification regarding service termination already received from BT so looking good.

Edit: Typo correction 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 11:13:14 AM by tiffy »

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2024, 11:59:26 AM »

Just one caveat, the online Vodafone account cannot be accessed OK until activation, once that happened I could login this morning OK but prior to activation it will not work! Apparently that's how it works!
Just tried this on my daughters VF account who is in the system but not due to migrate BB until 1st Feb..
Even though an e-mail was received stating that the account was now active and providing an initial logon PW, was not possible to access, unrecognised ID/PW, will wait until activation completion and try again as you have suggested.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2024, 12:17:24 PM »

Just tried this on my daughters VF account who is in the system but not due to migrate BB until 1st Feb..
Even though an e-mail was received stating that the account was now active and providing an initial logon PW, was not possible to access, unrecognised ID/PW, will wait until activation completion and try again as you have suggested.

Yes that's correct, I was puzzled until I checked on the Vodafone community where it was confirmed. Although I could login on the activation day it took 24 hours before all my details were there and accessible. I really think that email should explain this when sent to stop worry and confusion.

Stuart

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2024, 08:43:17 PM »

With apologies to Stuart "broadstairs" if I'am over subscribing to his thread, just a quick review of the VF supplied THG3000 Hub, off line which I've had a chance to play with prior to my daughters promised "go live" day on Thursday.

The GUI as reported by many is fairly basic but friendly and very easily navigated, I certainly prefer it's GUI to my current BT SH-2, will be more than adequate for my daughters needs although can't comment on Wi-Fi coverage as yet.
From my perspective as a potential VF BB & Digital Phone migrant at the end of my BT contract in March, the Hub would appear to satisfy all my requirements such as LAN/Wi-Fi MAC address filtering in order to assign static IP addresses to my LAN devices.
Wi-Fi is not a big issue for me, LAN mostly hard wired.

VF of course do permit use of (approved) 3rd party routers and will supply ID & PW details on request.
This does complicate things where VF Digital Phone service is used, however, many have managed to get around this using additional hardware and VF will supply (with a little persuasion) VOIP connection details and a static public IP address FOC on request.
The basic VF Hub should not be a VF ISP deal breaker, hopefully their support service which has previously had some very poor reviews has now improved.

With Stuart's permission, I will update my daughters BT/VF migration experience after Thursday, all appears to be in place for this :fingers:

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2024, 10:02:16 PM »

I think adding your or your daughters experiences here is quite a good idea as it will keep things together. However lets keep it to initial feedback, I think any unique issues would be best in their own threads.

As for the VF Hub and static IPs I have now set 10 devices as static, they appear as lan devices as I do not use the Hub wi-fi, and so you can do at least 10. Not sure if I will add any more to see how far I can push it. I know some routers have a limit.

One strange thing is that you can name devices on the Hub but is does not seem to allow spaces in the name, however on their Broadband app you can also name devices but that does allow spaces and does not seem to replicate that data to the Hub. Looks like you have to do it on both!

So far my connection has been stable and not had any issues. Speed tests seem to show as expected so that's good although I only hit max speeds briefly when downloading updates to my Linux desktop where there is a large file.

Stuart

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2024, 01:13:45 AM »

One strange thing is that you can name devices on the Hub but is does not seem to allow spaces in the name, however on their Broadband app you can also name devices but that does allow spaces and does not seem to replicate that data to the Hub. Looks like you have to do it on both!

I'm guessing the Hub UI is just letting you assign hostnames but the app is letting you add aliases/descriptions too?

I only hit max speeds briefly when downloading updates to my Linux desktop where there is a large file.

Seen the same on Fedora, none of the packages are really large enough to ramp up the speed but updates still end up being incredibly fast compared to FTTC.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 01:15:57 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2024, 11:39:12 AM »

As for the VF Hub and static IPs I have now set 10 devices as static, they appear as lan devices as I do not use the Hub wi-fi, and so you can do at least 10. Not sure if I will add any more to see how far I can push it. I know some routers have a limit.
From the VF Hub GUI, "Settings/MAC Filter" page narrative states "max 32" reservations, I'am assuming this refers to ethernet LAN connections.
On the "Wi-Fi/MAC Filter" page narrative again states "max 32" reservations, would appear obvious that this page refers to Wi-Fi connections.
Not sure if max 32 reservations refer to collective ethernet/Wi-Fi total or 32 in each catagory?

Either way, will be more than adequate for my requirements and a big improvement on my previous FTTC/VDSL ZyXEL VMG3925-B10B router which had a limit of 8 reservations.
My currently in use BT SH-2 has been fine with static IP reservations have never hit a limit.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2024, 02:26:08 PM »

I think adding your or your daughters experiences here is quite a good idea as it will keep things together. However lets keep it to initial feedback, I think any unique issues would be best in their own threads.
Yes indeed, I will most certainly start my own migration thread when my current ISP contract expires at the end of March, although probably not off topic here as such I likely got a bit carried away as I do due to interest in the subject.
From your migration experience and my daughters experience so far (early days) Vodafone is currently top of my ISP contender list.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

anything