Computers & Hardware > Networking

pfSense plus home user experiment comes to an end?

<< < (3/3)

Alex Atkin UK:
Sometimes when you learn a more convoluted way of doing things, trying to switch to something that tries to do more for you actually becomes counter-intuitive.  I always suspected this would be the problem if I tried to switch to OPNsense.

Same reason I moved to Manual NAT configuration quickly.  If you need to do more specific rules, it just gets more confusing having half of it automatic and the other half manual.

dee.jay:

--- Quote from: Alex Atkin UK on October 30, 2023, 11:56:00 AM ---Sometimes when you learn a more convoluted way of doing things, trying to switch to something that tries to do more for you actually becomes counter-intuitive.  I always suspected this would be the problem if I tried to switch to OPNsense.

Same reason I moved to Manual NAT configuration quickly.  If you need to do more specific rules, it just gets more confusing having half of it automatic and the other half manual.

--- End quote ---

Oh yeah I am fully manual too.

Chrysalis:

--- Quote from: dee.jay on October 30, 2023, 09:27:19 AM ---I think the last two posts are clear examples of working with what you are most comfortable with/most compatible with your requirements.

I use OPNsense as my router mostly because it just does what it says on the tin. In fact from my perspective I found the pfsense UI far more intuitive - but I moved from it due to the politics.

--- End quote ---

Indeed, I was using a fork of asuswrt-merlin prior to shifting, and I had all sorts of scripts, cron's and manual stuff I was doing to make things work, whilst now what I do is largely simplified, hence me sticking with what is working for me.

Like you and Alex I went fully manual on the NAT as well for the same reasons.

Alex Atkin UK:
Also why I much prefer OpenWRT for Access Points, I find the Zyxel interface overly complex and they decided not to export the link rates over SNMP which is extremely annoying.

It boggles my mind how unreliable SNMP implementations are these days.  For example on my Netgear switches I can't probe certain information or the query fails.  Getting traffic stats in particular takes several seconds per port which is insane.

I wonder if this is all designed to push you to their cloud services?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version