Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Gov to Review UK Rural Broadband Options and 10Mbps USO  (Read 3761 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Gov to Review UK Rural Broadband Options and 10Mbps USO
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2023, 10:33:37 PM »

First of all, 10Mps now seems slow  especially now that 4k streaming is more commonplace. 10Mbps is rather insufficient for families and other demands.

Secondly. whilst there is still some areas deemed very hard to reach using fibre, there still doesn't appear to be much interest in using other technologies such as satellite or cellular networks.  Advances in satellite have got rid of a huge chunk of the latency that used to make it so unpopular.  Perhaps its the legacy thought of satellite (or any over air) technology has massive latency issues, but from some results seen on this forum by DJ it doesn't actually seem that bad.  Weaver could perhaps say more on this topic as it costs him what many would call an arm and a leg for lines that fall well short of 10Mbps each.

.. or perhaps for the average home owner*, I dont know what can be done about that, other than just accept  that if you live out in the sticks then there are going to be problems and you may have to either pay more or settle with an alternative method.   Its the same with other services such as heating/water/severage.

*not applicable to Weaver
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2023, 11:10:24 AM »

Still no news on urban not spots.

I think yes there will be a point where they will just say you need to get your own solution or accept wireless tech.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2023, 11:13:08 AM by Chrysalis »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2023, 01:44:35 PM »

The fact they also consider wireless a solution to the ending of POTS is kinda disturbing, given the limited run time of cell towers during a power cut.

Then again I'm not sure what the solution could be given most people will eventually get rid of the copper line in favour of mobile eventually anyway, so even if the equipment could have been maintained it would have cost a fortune for the few who kept it.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2023, 11:16:19 AM »

Dont know anyone personally who has a copper voice service out of choice other than my parents and thats likely due to just that they grown up with it so keep it for nostalgia.

The issue is perhaps if people are using equipment that is designed to only work with a phone line like alarms and such?

anything