Broadband Related > Telephony Wiring + Equipment

help needed with a bt301c tdr unit

(1/3) > >>

m3vuv:
Hi,i have one of these units+ a download of the manual,can anyone explaine how the bal control works,or a good explanation on how its used?,i am trying to measure some 2.5mm stranded pvc covered wire on a drum to try and workout how much is left but failing to get a sensible reading,cheers Paul m3vuv.

tubaman:
Never used one of these but have just taken a look at the manual (available here) and it seems the balance control is to allow you to take near-end measurements - ie when the fault is very close to where you are testing - and allows you to cancel out the transmitted pulse. For a long length of cable where you are trying to ascertain the distance to the disconnection point - ie the open end in the centre of the drum in this case - it appears you leave balance set to off.

m3vuv:
cheers.it seems to have a bump at 18m,this is wrong,could do with a service manual so i can check it out,doubt one exists tho?.

tubaman:

--- Quote from: m3vuv on October 20, 2023, 01:57:59 PM ---cheers.it seems to have a bump at 18m,this is wrong,could do with a service manual so i can check it out,doubt one exists tho?.

--- End quote ---
Probably a daft question but are you sure there's only one piece of cable on the drum?
The manual also says that it is calibrated for solid polythene insulator and that the lay of the cable may have an effect. However I doubt differences in either would give a measurement that is totally off beam.

craigski:

--- Quote from: m3vuv on October 19, 2023, 05:54:36 PM ---Hi,i have one of these units+ a download of the manual,can anyone explaine how the bal control works,or a good explanation on how its used?,i am trying to measure some 2.5mm stranded pvc covered wire on a drum to try and workout how much is left but failing to get a sensible reading,cheers Paul m3vuv.

--- End quote ---
Cut off exactly 100mm, weigh the 100mm, then weigh the remainder. Should be able to calculate length. Then you can cross check with your TDR.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version