Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Zzoomm Install review (2023)  (Read 3317 times)

biohead

• Reg Member
Zzoomm Install review (2023)
« on: September 24, 2023, 12:59:52 PM »

Just thought I'd post a quick review of my Zzoomm XGS-PON install. I already have Openreach FTTP - and there are some sight differences how it's done.
My property is underground fed via ducts.

A pair of vans turned up - one focused immediately on the external works (CSP and ducting) and the other focused on the internal side - ONT mount and cable to the CSP.

In terms of the CSP, it's very similar in size to the Openreach one, albeit slightly thicker and brown - adorned with the Zzoomm logo. It's also the first bit where it get's slightly different from an Openreach FTTP install - the cables are not spliced together, rather just what I think is an APC connector connecting both cables together. The cable from the ONT is premade APC on both ends, so the hole drilled was slightly larger than the Openreach one. The cable from the CSP to the CBT looked like it had the fibre ferrule on either end, but the connector housings were installed after it had been pushed through the ducting.

Getting the cable from CSP to CBT was the 2nd key difference from an Openreach install - Zzoomm ran their own microducting through the existing Openreach duct first - then ran their fibre through that. This microduct ran all the way to the CBT and at the end of the install was mechanically fixed to the CBT and CSP. The fibre itself was pretty basic/simple - it had none of the protection that the Openreach one has - but is protected by the new microduct.

Overall, it took just over 90 mins from arriving to departing. About 20 mins of that was waiting for the router to set itself up (via ACS I assume), and another 20 mins at the start removing some concrete around the existing ducting.

Speedtests - I'm on the 1Gbps package - and upload is perfect at just over 1Gbps (when I use my 2.5Gb NIC) - but download is sitting at around 800Mbps. This is a brand new area for Zzoomm (WF9 - South Elmsall), so I'm not sure if there's a few issues or if this is to be expected. I was looking at going to 2Gb when I've upgraded my switch but may wait a while first.

ONT is the Innbox X22, router is the Icotera i4882 - both are plain with with no OEM branding (bar the WiFi SSID has Zzoomm in it's name once ACS did it's thing).

Overall I'm happy with the install. It became available to me one day, I placed the order the day after and got the install a week after that.
A far cry from when it took OR 7 weeks to install when we moved in (- and unable to use the copper line for VDSL as it was already past the stop-sell date.)

bogof

• Reg Member
Re: Zzoomm Install review (2023)
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2023, 04:41:24 PM »

Thanks for posting.  I asked earlier in the year if anyone was doing installs like this, interesting to see they are. 
https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,27607.0.html

marineio

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2023, 03:37:49 AM »

We're on the 150mbps package, installed in August '23, and fed from an OR pole (but interestingly, not the same one as our phone line, they chose the easier one!). The CSP is tall and white with Zzoomm branding, the ONT is an Adtran SDX622v and the same Icotera i4882 router.

I had a really great chat with someone from their sales team, seemed really knowledgeable and knew the process inside out. We booked it with 2 weeks to our VDSL ceasing, although the install happened all in one day.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2023, 06:24:39 AM »

I wonder what the reason is why OR chose splicing over connectors?

Neater for the customer due to smaller hole?
Less losses due to their fibre run likely being longer?
More prone to failure?

You'd think connectors would be cheaper and easier for the engineer.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2023, 07:58:27 AM »

I wonder what the reason is why OR chose splicing over connectors?

Neater for the customer due to smaller hole?
Less losses due to their fibre run likely being longer?
More prone to failure?

You'd think connectors would be cheaper and easier for the engineer.
They're using the same kind of caps, so it's not like it's really likely to look like a smaller hole.  But undoubtedly easier to get unterm fibre through the wall than a terminated cable (though I suppose they could ship them with some kind of robust removable cover to aid install).

Inside my CSP it all looks really fragile as so much of the fibre outer has been stripped out.  Don't know if this is standard.  I suppose luddites like me aren't supposed to be in there...

This is inside my CSP.  Note the paracord isn't standard issue - I have it pulled through as I'd requested another line from Unchained and though they requested a new 4 port ONT the OR engineers have pulled another fibre to the property, so I think that request has been ignored and on the 3rd I'm ending up with a new piece of fibre and ONT.  (apparently the 4 port is only a "suggestion" in the system).  OR fitted the CSP over the duct I put in the wall through to the cupboard so whatever is being put in will have to enter through this CSP somehow.  I can see there are splice holders for more than 1 splice, but the fibre spool already looks like a right rat's nest.

biohead

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2023, 12:33:28 PM »

Just a quick follow up on the speeds - as soon as I removed the Icotera router and used my Eeros all went upto 941/941.
I plugged into a PC directly with a 2.5gb port, and I saw over 1GB on both up and down out of interest. I think that means a kit upgrade is looming for me in the near future!

In terms of the hole drilled, the Zzoomm one looks to be 8mm. The Openreach one is 6mm but I did that myself in advance, and it is tight - so maybe there's no difference.

I'm sure OR have done their research and have their reasons for splicing even if it takes a few minutes longer.
I'm not sure it saves Zzoomm any time though when looking at the bigger picture, as both ends between the CBT and CSP had to be made off into a connector. The CBT end even more so with how the microducting is attached to the CBT, very fiddly - whereas the OR one is a nice simple click into the CBT.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2023, 11:31:48 PM »

Also drilling 8mm vs 6mm could take longer.  Splicing doesn't take much time at all however it requires more skilled installers, which is where the saving could be for Zzoomm.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

anything