Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Anyone on VMO2 FTTP?  (Read 15206 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
Re: Anyone on VMO2 FTTP?
« Reply #90 on: April 19, 2024, 06:00:53 PM »

My install date is this mon 22 for FTTP. :)

Text says might be 3 hours work. O_o

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #91 on: April 19, 2024, 07:07:34 PM »

Awesome! Are you going with AAISP full time?

AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #92 on: April 19, 2024, 10:03:14 PM »

Thats the plan.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #93 on: April 20, 2024, 12:29:56 PM »

This forum is getting quieter and quieter as more of us gets FTTP.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #94 on: April 20, 2024, 01:31:38 PM »

The freeing up of copper as people move to FTTP could also be helping those that remain on FTTC. 

I regained a large amount of crosstalk speed when my neighbour moved from FTTC to FTTP.  My Max speed is back up to 96839 and mostly managing to mask my daily SHINE burst that has caused me so many problems when the DLM kicks in.
My neighbours moved to FTTP because of the daily errors, but with not being technical werent interested in monitoring of line stats and dumping useless ISP modems to replace with one of the BCM based modes.  They were using isp modems that just werent able to cope with the SHINE bursts and caused them a fair amount of down time that followed them between ISPs.  Typical user who wasnt interested in understanding what they could do, and who thought it was an ISP fault why their "wi-fi" wasnt working.  :( 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #95 on: April 20, 2024, 03:19:29 PM »

FTTC was for some of us a game changer, I certainly appreciated it, previously on Openreach I was on the end of a 50db loop loss line with huge noise ingress on the E side.  If you take into account the line would need a high SNRM and interleaving to be remotely stable (without SRA), then FTTC was effectively a 20x to the sync speed whilst been massively more stable at the same time.

I think though as always with UK infrastructure FTTC came too late which shortened its life, then OR made the decision to utilise G.FAST from cabinets only instead of something like vectored bonded 30mhz to replace unbonded unvectored 17mhz, which I think killed copper's use on future products.

Of course once I experienced gig1 on VM, VDSL now feels ancient.   Although a service that could hit 300mbit with vectoring and bonding, would have made it competitive against budget DOCSIS and FTTP options.  FTTC however if you only into streaming and web browsing type activities, no bulk downloads/uploads, is still very capable, its not like ADSL which has become obsolete for mainstream type usage now.

At least though as you said those who stay behind in FTTP areas, will get an improved FTTC service, probably more akin to the very early FTTC days. Sadly I never experienced what G.INP is like, it never reached my line at all lol.

A final thought as well, if it meant I could live in a nice area, I would actually tolerate going back to FTTC in exchange of that, the town I want to live in is a FTTC area with no FTTP plans, and if the chance comes up I will move there, although I wouldnt move to somewhere which only has ADSL.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2024, 03:24:29 PM by Chrysalis »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #96 on: April 20, 2024, 05:42:47 PM »

FTTC was for some of us a game changer, I certainly appreciated it, previously on Openreach I was on the end of a 50db loop loss line with huge noise ingress on the E side.  If you take into account the line would need a high SNRM and interleaving to be remotely stable (without SRA), then FTTC was effectively a 20x to the sync speed whilst been massively more stable at the same time.

It certainly was notable, I went from trying to squeeze 3dB SNRm out of an (at least partly) aluminium e-side over ADSL, to 60/20 then ultimately 99/35, until Digital Region went out of business.

I was kinda annoyed having to then move to OR 80/20, knowing it was an artificial profile lock.  Of course over time crosstalk would have taken that down anyway, which is likely why they chose those values (as the attainable was a lot lower too, which I assume is the band plan being more conservative to reduce crosstalk with ADSL customers).

It was actually kind of alarming earlier this week to be reminded what things used to be like, as YouTube kept buffering for some unknown reason.  Its nice to normally not have to think about what I'm doing, just fire off that download, its not going to cause a noticeable impact to performance.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #97 on: April 22, 2024, 09:17:42 AM »

I think I've been lucky to get the speeds I have. I remember when I first moved to where I live now with my now wife, she had ADSLMax BT Broadband that synced at 8Mbps, but did not go above 3Mbps. BT were adamant this was "just how fast it went". Naturally unhappy with this response, I moved us to Sky where ADSL2+ was available and we got the full 16Mbps that Sky did at the time. I noticed the green cabinet being dropped in early 2012, and am pretty sure I was probably one of the first people on it. 40/2 and it was a really nice boost from 16. Similarly, first to jump on Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro (I think it was called) in July that year and got moved to an 80/20 profile where I think I started out at 73/20. Now that was great, and by that point we'd had decent 802.11n routers so WiFi worked pretty well everywhere and that was that.

However, as has always been the case, I think the use cases for internet access have changed as the internet has evolved over the past 20 years. Having seen dialup->1Mbps ADSL - now that was simply mindblowing because of the "always on" ability and not having to worry about the phone bill. It's like we take these massive leaps from access speed in front of what the internet is capable of.

I think this time, moving from FTTC to FTTP however, we're entering an entirely new paradigm in access technology. Companies are selling "1Gbps services" but the reality is that Wi-Fi is now ubiquitous amongst the general population, and we get annoyed if we don't get the speed promised. Well, for 99.999% of cases with FTTP, the speed delivered to the router is exactly as promised.

1Gbps means you are probably quicker than things on the internet, I often see single threaded direct downloads in Windows only really go at 100-300Mbps. On the flip side this does mean I am no longer saturating my connection with a single download. Now, not so bad in my house as it's just two of us, and my wife isn't also downloading all the time, she's a fairly light user of the internet, so no big deal, but I'd imagine in busy households, the extra bandwidth will let everyone share with less complaint.

Get's even more interesting when you've got 10Gbps connectivity and Wi-Fi7 - Have tested both in the lab (and 25Gbps, but that's for another day) and whilst we had 3.9Gbps out of a OnePlus 11 phone, some trickery was needed to get there.

I run a steam cache at home for when I was using FTTC and Starlink as I tend to game on a few different machines - above 3Gbps and you are CPU limited - even on a 12 core Ryzen 9!

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #98 on: April 22, 2024, 01:13:23 PM »

I still need to tinker with things, disabled US shaping that was in place for VM and ran this quickly.

CityFibre were crazed out I am using pfSense and paranoid it wasnt working, they sat out outside for a while whilst I was sorting out my PPP with AAISP so went outside to tell them everything cool.

TBB same as dee.jay around 700 single and line rate multi.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 01:17:01 PM by Chrysalis »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #99 on: April 22, 2024, 01:15:47 PM »

Very nice, one day I might have other options.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 1147/105  ;D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #100 on: April 22, 2024, 01:35:36 PM »

Getting 900+ single threaded with twitch leecher, so from reputable sources thats perfect.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #101 on: April 22, 2024, 01:47:10 PM »

Very nice! Well done.

Today ironically was supposed to be my install too :D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #102 on: April 22, 2024, 10:52:13 PM »

For the curious I think my ONT is a Calix GP1000g.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #103 on: April 26, 2024, 09:06:00 AM »

Mine's a Nokia. I could tell by the serial number alone.... /sad

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #104 on: April 26, 2024, 10:22:43 AM »

I logged into my Virgin account last night to turn off marketing as they are phoning almost daily, and noticed an offer for 1 Gig for about £3.70 more than I'm currently paying, couldn't resist so order placed.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 1147/105  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10