Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Anyone on VMO2 FTTP?  (Read 10461 times)

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
Re: Anyone on VMO2 FTTP?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2024, 12:18:11 PM »

Still waiting... lol

Lots of roadwork notices everywhere in our village though, they clearly haven't finished everything yet
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2024, 07:20:17 PM »

Still not available.

Openreach now claim to be less than 6 months away, when only 4 days ago they told me October 2025… I don’t really mind when, but wish they’d make their mind up :)

Think I might wait for OR in that case…

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2024, 03:16:17 AM »

It seems often VMO and OR are close together, given VMO use OR ducting for the most part.

Here it seemed VMO waited for OR to clear all the ducts then right before OR were due to install they swooped in fitting their cabinets and short ducts to the OR chambers.  It actually delayed my pole as they were originally going to duct it, but it seems the contractor used VMO ducting by mistake (same subcontractor?) which OR can't touch - so it ended up being a new pole to cross the road.  So there's a short run of incomplete ducting to nowhere.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2024, 07:47:22 AM »

Other way round here, VMO2 first to duct the street and put toby’s outside all the houses.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2024, 10:06:17 AM »

So the passive cabinet at the top of the street (built by VM) had black electrical tape around it for ages. Mysteriously that tape is now gone… so think someone’s been to look at it

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2024, 01:54:31 PM »

Other way round here, VMO2 first to duct the street and put toby’s outside all the houses.

Yeah it was kinda different here as its mostly pole fed, except the maisonettes across the road which perhaps VMO would need to apply for a wayleave whereas OR may already have one?  OR did those well before my side of the road and VMO installing the cabinets.  Its no doubt documented somewhere on the forum given how impatient I was.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

timmy85

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2024, 08:38:45 AM »

So the passive cabinet at the top of the street (built by VM) had black electrical tape around it for ages. Mysteriously that tape is now gone… so think someone’s been to look at it

Pics or never happend.  :P

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2024, 12:21:58 PM »

And today they announce 2Gbps, and symmetrical upgrades on all packages, very nice.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2024, 01:42:58 PM »

Only if you're on pure fibre, which is very few people.

I have fibre to the house, then a bit of coax, which means I can't even get symmetrical uploads, I'd happily pay £6 extra a month for that.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2024, 03:28:37 PM »

Nearly one million homes already, mine will be as I am in a nexfibre area

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2024, 03:40:40 PM »

Lucky you.

About 1/25 of homes passed then. Hopefully they give the option to customers served by hybrid fibre/coax, should be simple enough in most cases to replace the coax with fibre.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2024, 08:04:41 PM »

Well am I that lucky, really?

I'd have far preferred Openreach, but after a 6 figure FTTPoD quote and the fibre first checker being absolutely useless, OR unable to give me any date at all, but last week telling me 6 weeks :D Who knows?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2024, 08:12:50 PM »

Luckier than me  ;) I've been told by Blacksheep there's no plans for us to get FTTP as our estate is DIG, whilst all around our estate has FTTP available, basically OR won't spend the money all the time there is easier pickings and I wouldn't be surprised if we never get it, they could just leave the FTTC cabinet in situ for broadband along the ally lines. At least we do have VM, but I'd also prefer a OR choice.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2024, 12:07:15 PM »

Luckier than me  ;) I've been told by Blacksheep there's no plans for us to get FTTP as our estate is DIG, whilst all around our estate has FTTP available, basically OR won't spend the money all the time there is easier pickings and I wouldn't be surprised if we never get it, they could just leave the FTTC cabinet in situ for broadband along the ally lines. At least we do have VM, but I'd also prefer a OR choice.

Same for me, DIG copper yet OR claim 6 months they are doing it. Given under the stop sell they don't even have to do 100% of a town, the cynic in me says leaving my street would be really easy because there aren't many streets that aren't DIG... The vast majority of my area is fed by poles anyway. But then, I suppose the other side of that is that the FTTC cabinet would only be there for one street and why would OR want to support it for one street? I'd not thought of it that way round.

However, symmetric packages are not going to be an option even with OR, so maybe that announcement from VM means that'd actually be the best product.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2024, 01:11:09 PM »

Our whole estate is DIG, and I think is covered by one cabinet IIRC.

Symmetric packages could well persuade me to stay with Virgin as well, but I wonder how long before we can have them.

In case you are not aware, if you have an 02 contract you can get a free speed bump to the next tier withe VM.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8