Broadband Related > Broadband Technology

How often do you test your connection?

<< < (6/6)

XGS_Is_On:

--- Quote from: dee.jay on May 29, 2023, 05:49:05 PM ---Try Starlink…

--- End quote ---

How's your Starlink behaving, mate?

I've noticed that XGSPON seems more vulnerable to imperfections in the optical path than GPON. 25GPON more demanding or much the same?

dee.jay:
Well currently Starlink is in the box, I've been waiting for an AV guy to get it installed up on the roof.

However, it is amazingly slick. I've had to deploy it in the garden a number of times for my wife to be able to work because I ran into a problem with my hypervisor killing my FTTC connectivity (virtual router). Plug it in, turn it on, wait 10 minutes, internet, and 200+mbps of it. My wife has used it for a week in the garden, i.e. with some tree cover, and I've had zero reports of problems with it.

Should be up on Thursday. Planning to use Starlink as primary connection, and FTTC as backup. Toying with getting a 4G antenna up at some point too as there is 150Mbps in the right spot, and I think that is worth exploring.

My long term plan is to then replace Starlink with FTTP (one day) then take Starlink to the caravan and use that on roaming as you can turn that off and on at will.

Not heard of any issues with 25GPON, will have a look..

XGS_Is_On:

--- Quote from: parkdale on May 29, 2023, 09:48:58 AM ---I try not to obsess over my connection...
--- End quote ---

Words to live by.

snadge:
Mostly randomly – but on average, every 2 weeks or so just to make sure it's working as it should, but as soon as I spot a slowdown, I do some tests on various 'reliable' testers (the OOKLA 'App' from the store on Windows 10 seems to be extremely precise!).

Once you have been on your ISP long enough to know it's fine 24/7/365, you tend to test much less.. e.g. I rarely tested on BT after 6 months, only when it started to go below the MGALS (600-700) would I check, even then I would give it a few days before I would ring up, as I've experienced it sorting itself out within 3 days (High Radial Counts due to neighbours signing up by the boat load).

As you can see, in 24 months I have done 27 tests, some were twice, to be sure.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version