Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How to test an NTE5A socket for faults?  (Read 5134 times)

SherlockPhones

Re: How to test an NTE5A socket for faults?
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2023, 10:43:51 AM »

That’s the general terminology I’m afraid. New Pair, also called a pair swap which is a better way of expressing it. However it’s still very possible to have a faulty joint as been explained to you.

As mentioned, I was already aware of the likely HR fault due to the symptoms and my own tests, before I even called OR out to the fault.  However, I suspected an E-side HR fault whereas they only fiddled with the D-side, to no effect.

SherlockPhones

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2023, 11:10:19 AM »

Prob because they know where the issue is  :lol:.

Good luck to the OP in trying to get their line sorted. Sounds like the same sort of cowboys that mucked me about for 2 years.

Thanks, it looks like I might need it!  :)

They did seem to be thorough at the job.  The PSTN chap had 40 years experience and the ADSL chap was much younger but seemed to know his stuff.

The problem is nobody at OR seems to want to do anything with the E-side.  I had expected them to be able to flag the HR fault post D-side work, not be left having to start from scratch with the next OR chap!

Was that your experience with them also?

SherlockPhones

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2023, 11:55:11 AM »

I'm not reading it that the engineer wasn't allowed to change it ?? Just that they didn't.

He lost enthusiasm for the NTE5 when I gave him a sheet of paper with the list of symptoms and all the tests I'd done.  They subsequently proved with their tests that it wasn't the NTE5 causing the problems.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 01:29:19 PM by SherlockPhones »

SherlockPhones

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2023, 09:14:09 AM »

Come to think of it, I would've thought they had tested both pairs from the BT66 back to the PCP. I did see they had a signal generator connected this end of the D-side.  It may be that they didn't like the results of either pair and ran a thinner new cable with less pairs on, then connected 1 pair of that to the BT66 and PCP.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2023, 10:11:09 AM »

It may be that they didn't like the results of either pair and ran a thinner new cable with less pairs on, then connected 1 pair of that to the BT66 and PCP.

It doesn't work like that. If they don't like the results of a pair test they will swap the pair.
If you only have 2 pairs at your BT66 and both are knackered then they would install a new drop wire from BT66 to pole or underground chamber
They then connect that to a spare pair at the pole.

It isn't a single length of cable from the home to the PCP. Each multi pair cable only goes as far as the next junction box where they are joined to the next section, and so it goes on.
It's done in such a way that they don't need to replace the whole lot but can work around a damaged section of cable.

You probably have over a dozen sections of
cables between you and the PCP.

They can test your pair at each junction box and tell where the pair goes bad.

If there were no spare pairs and yours is faulty then that needs logged and a work order raised for another team to add more.
It wouldn't be the engineers who attended your fault who did this and it wouldn't be the same day.
They will only add more pairs for any sections that need it.

TL;DR: there's no chance they replaced your entire line from home to PCP.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2023, 12:38:45 PM »

That's an illuminating answer!
Pages: 1 [2]

anything