Broadband Related > Broadband Technology

PPPoA credentials

<< < (9/9)

dee.jay:
Heh, when the chap from OR came recently to commission my second AAISP circuit he mused about my modems and wondered where my router was. It's upstairs mate... He couldn't fathom why I didn't just have some all-in-one box as the HG612's are so old.

I think my first original one was indeed done with a managed OR install way back in 2012.

tonygibbs16:
Hi all,

I haven't used an HG612, but I have some thoughts. I started broadband with a Zyxel Prestige 630-C1 ADSL device that had DSL on one-side and USB on the other, and it did PPPoA.

Looking at the Cisco figure attached from https://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=363733&seqNum=2 and thinking about the OSI-Reference Model, I think that PPPoE and PPPoA are all layer 2 or layer 2.5 protocols and so more modem like than router like. Routing happens at OSI-RM layer 3 or IP layer in TCP/IP.

The Cisco figure shows how PPPoE could be on a PC, but nowadays we have more features all bundled in the CPE as a home router/gateway, which is doing all the modem & router functions in one box with Ethernet and WiFi on it too.

So much functionality has moved into a single box CPE now that it can get hard to separate functions out.

I got involved in some ETSI technical specifications in the past, and the committee agreed that it was much easier to make the end user devices talk AT & PPP on a serial line when they needed to do data communications (so the device behaved like a modem) than to try to invent a new protocol for bringing up the communications.  As PPP had so many supported implementations even in the late 1990s :)

Cheers,
    Tony

Alex Atkin UK:

--- Quote from: RealAleMadrid on February 11, 2023, 10:31:57 AM ---most services will connect using PPPoE or PPPoA, Sky ADSL is PPPoA only.

--- End quote ---

Yeah I remember that being discussed at the time when I switched to separate devices.  I think the theory was PPPoA is slightly more efficient as its tweaked specifically to ATM packet sizes?  Although I don't think I could ever measure a notable difference, likely as the benefit of using your own router greatly outweighed any efficiency difference.

At the time it was when bittorrent came out and consumer DSL routers just weren't up to handling so many concurrent connections.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version