Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Pole with old equipment and CBT  (Read 2936 times)

craigski

• Reg Member
Pole with old equipment and CBT
« on: February 10, 2023, 12:15:27 PM »

Noticed a local pole had CBT installed about a year ago, but puzzled what the old equipment on top of pole is, looks like old insulators for old GPO telephone wires?

Any ideas when these would have been used, 50+ years ago maybe? Must be an old pole.

licquorice

• Reg Member
Re: Pole with old equipment and CBT
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2023, 12:54:04 PM »

An odd place to put the insulators, but yes they would have been used for 40lb cc conductors. They would normally have been fixed to cross-arms or a circular bracket around the pole to distribute the pairs. Open copper wires were still used well into the seventies, if not later, in rural areas. I remember the first drop wire being introduced in the mid sixties.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2023, 02:34:46 PM »

Circular bracket for mounting insulators at a DP.
Cross arm DP
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 02:42:01 PM by licquorice »

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2023, 03:37:57 PM »

I have noticed that some heritage railways still have them along the sides of the tracks and still use them.  :)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2023, 04:31:34 PM »

Have noticed the modern railway had a lot of line cabling just sat on the ground.  I assume this is down to copper thefts and quick temporary replacements ending up being permanent solutions?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

anything