Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The generational gap  (Read 7200 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
The generational gap
« on: February 05, 2023, 02:51:27 PM »

I've noticed when reading tech forums these days that the once outliers now seem to hold the majority.

When TV/Monitors started to become bigger and better, there was always one or two people who always wanted to buy the most cutting edge visual technology, even if they couldn't fully utilise it on there own setup. Most people back in the day would call it a waste of money because there wasn't the high quality films to use the visuals, or the games made to use all of the monitors features.

I think its a generational mind set as we used to use technology that was never fully fit for purpose. But we put up with it and squeezed the best performance out of it. The modem instruction forums testify to that!  ;)

We of that camp seem to be outnumbered these days by the ones who want the latest cutting edge technology immediately, even though there isn't the applications to deal with it.

I don't think many appreciate what they have got these days as much as us who went through the early days of technology and have seen it develope and advance.

Someone who as never exprienced even a 56K modem can't fully appreciate a FTTP connection, in my opinion.

/rant
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
Re: The generational gap
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2023, 04:07:50 PM »

How about 2800kbs modem  :lol:
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2023, 04:12:06 PM »

Someone who as never exprienced even a 56K modem . . .

How about 2800kbs modem  :lol:

The first modem I ever used was 300 bps (V21 specification).  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2023, 04:13:42 PM »

I remember those also

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2023, 04:51:44 PM »

I don't think many appreciate what they have got these days as much as us who went through the early days of technology and have seen it develope and advance.

I don't think much has changed. In the past, the hardware wasn't great and each new generation resulted in big improvements.

Now the hardware can cope easily and other things like software limit the experience.

I think modem communication has just made it easier to find people with the same views as you.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2023, 06:49:21 PM »

The first modem I had was a second hand one from the Woolworths factory offices. My Dad used to work there as a sub contractor and was friendly with all the staff.

The IT guy came around and set it up. I think that was 300 bps. A big black wide modem.. with all the lights flickering on and off.  ;D

I think the appreciation factor as changed. Things that we were amazed by and now taken for granted.

It's an interesting technology world we live in at the moment. The only technology I haven't tried yet is VR.

One of the old retro guys (Steve Benway) I watch on Youtube uses VR Chat to go in a virtual world and imitate a cat. Hmm, that might interest some on here  :)
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2023, 07:07:48 PM »

We of that camp seem to be outnumbered these days by the ones who want the latest cutting edge technology immediately, even though there isn't the applications to deal with it.

You aren't: the majority aren't enthusiasts, they use more mainstream tech and don't feel the need to talk about it online.

I suggest a look at the Steam hardware and software survey. The most commonly used 2 graphics cards are 3 generations old.
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2023, 07:09:45 PM »

The first modem I ever used was 300 bps (V21 specification).  ;)

As was mine.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2023, 07:36:48 PM »

I feel the opposite is true to some extent, they might have the most cutting-edge phone, but they will be watching TV shows and movies on it that were mastered in 4K HDR with Dolby Atmos surround sound, so are getting a vastly inferior experience to what the content is made more.

They also might have a 4K TV, but it will be bottom of the barrel which again can't properly display the content at its best.

Plus people would rather use bitrate starved streaming services for convenience and lose access to content, than the slight inconvenience of having to deal with physical media.  It will simply be impossible to view older content at some point as its not popular enough to warrant the streaming service to pay for a license, even the studios who own it will drop it from their service to save storage space and it wont be available on physical media.

On the other hand it might not be an issue if Putin starts World War 3.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2023, 07:41:07 PM »

As was mine.

In a light-straw, 62-type, equipment practice casing?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2023, 07:41:55 PM »

Indeed so  :)

g3uiss

• Kitizen
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2023, 09:18:23 PM »

People that worked for. “Mars” had an acoustic coupler for a POTS handset. I think they were 300 asymmetrical.   

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2023, 04:52:22 AM »

I used to work for a company that manufactured modems, Psion Dacom. I didn’t work in the modem bit though, but I once helped someone who did, a little bit. The first modem I ever saw was probably 9600 bps, at the end of the 1980s.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2023, 07:38:16 AM »

GPO Modem 2B was my first modem experience as a BT Apprentice. Separate cards for PSU, modulate, demodulate, and control. And yes, 300 baud with settings such as attenuation adjusted with soldered wire straps on the cards. All discrete components with not a chip in sight. About the size of a largish tower PC laid on its side.  ;D
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2023, 11:31:47 AM »

Seen at Bletchley computer museum. https://ibb.co/1JvqLKW
Pages: [1] 2