Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Forum account deletion/closure request  (Read 7172 times)

noposter

Forum account deletion/closure request
« on: May 30, 2023, 07:07:05 AM »

Hi, I can't find anything other than in the thread about GDPR about deleting one's account. There is said that the administrators can do it for you, however I'm not sure if directly messaging a specific admin is the way to do it or not. Hopefully this post will be useful for the next person that uses the search function for deleting their account if an admin can say the correct way about it.

Anyway, could an admin delete this account please. I understand posts will still exist as this is a forum, just don't want this account anymore or it tied to my username. Thanks

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Forum account deletion/closure request
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2023, 07:56:30 PM »

This post has been seen, please bear with us at the present time. I will sort this asap. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Forum account deletion/closure request
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2023, 09:14:02 AM »

>>  the administrators can do it for you, however I'm not sure if directly messaging a specific admin is the way to do it or not.

Yes the post is meaning that you need to contact an admin either by message or site mail. web @

>>  if an admin can say the correct way about it.

TBH there's not much more that I can say.  We do our best to be accommodating, but every single request so far has had unexpected results and  resulted in many hours manually editing records.  :(
There is little information in the SMF manual about the member delete function.  I deliberately left doing this until I knew I had time to think and I wouldn't be disturbed. I really thought I had a solution this time, but no not this time either.  :(

When deleting the account it added your member name to each of your posts...  even though I had changed the display name and your posts were all showing as guest prior to the delete.   Fortunately this time I gathered all info about your posts beforehand and there was only about 20 posts, but it still took time to resolve those 'orphan' posts not linked to your username or member.   I guarantee that I checked, double checked, triple checked before hitting that delete button.  But still ended up having to go into the database and run a query to find those posts to then be able to manually change them.  There is only one method in the past that we have directly had success with and that involved using the ban function.

So basically, future requests will not be taken lightly unless it truly is personally identifying data at risk. We will try to be accommodating:

We are quite prepared to change the name appended to all the posts you have made.
We will remove any personal data such as email address.
We will place a permanent ban on the old username only (not email or IP). 
This leaves the account inaccessible and without any personal data.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything