Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Openreach Trial Broadband Speed Limits to Nudge Users Off Copper  (Read 4537 times)

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
Re: Openreach Trial Broadband Speed Limits to Nudge Users Off Copper
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2023, 05:34:31 PM »

Received an email from Openreach today, we all know how rare it is that Openreach contact end users directly, reminding me of the PSTN shutoff. Not really relevant to me given I literally can't get Openreach copper but interesting they're reaching out.

Hideously long link.
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2023, 03:16:17 AM »

I am incline to agree with dee jay, Openreach would be just admitting defeat in non FTTP areas and handing over customers to their competitors if this was nationwide.

If it is nationwide then it suggests many unannounced areas will actually be getting FTTP, its just for whatever reason Openreach dont want to say so.

If we are wrong then things will get interesting with angry customers been throttled with nowhere to turn when they flip the switch.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2023, 03:20:04 AM »

If we are wrong then things will get interesting with angry customers been throttled with nowhere to turn when they flip the switch.

Except this doesn't seem to be about getting people off copper, its getting people off POTS, by re-contracting to the same service you already have only without the POTS service.

This seems like putting the customer through a lot of stress when this should be something the ISP handles without your input necessary, other than to give you the option to politely ask them to not do so because you're vulnerable and/or have equipment that wont work over VoIP.

This seems rather unreasonable given if you DO want to migrate POTS to VoIP without ceasing your broadband, there is no consistently reliable way to do it.  Openreach (possibly BTW?) are directly responsible for some people not switching due to this problem, minimum contracts, re-grade fees, etc.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 03:27:48 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2023, 08:16:44 AM »

Openreach's minimum contract on FTTC and WLR is a month. I believe it's the same with BT Wholesale. Absolutely no excuse for CPs to respond positively, no excuse for them not to pass on those terms to their ISP customers intact.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2023, 09:03:28 AM »

That might explain what I was thinking would be a problem, customers in long term contracts, this could bite CP's who have been taking up 1 month wholesale contracts and forcing customers on to much longer contracts, and rightly so.

craigski

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2023, 09:05:25 AM »

Received an email from Openreach today, we all know how rare it is that Openreach contact end users directly
I received a similar email from openreach a couple of months ago, I assume because I registered interest in my property for Ultrafast several years ago.

Thank you for your interest in Ultrafast Full Fibre broadband. We wanted to touch base because we've got some important news.

We'll soon stop selling broadband that uses the copper phone line network. We're upgrading the UK's phone network from copper to digital phone lines by 2025, so we'll also be turning off our copper phone line products as that date approaches. It's a good idea to contact your service provider to discuss how this will affect you.

The best thing to do is get ahead of the change and upgrade your broadband – just enter your postcode into our fibre checker and see if Ultrafast Full Fibre broadband is available to order at your property

It was very 'timely',  FTTP was installed and PSTN already cancelled eleven months before the email was received.

I also recently received a letter from BT Retail saying I could save money by switching my broadband service to 'Superfast' Broadband, ie change my active FTTP to FTTC. When I went to website link and enter my postcode, its the 'Superfast' FTTC products that are the headline products, you have to scroll down for the FTTP products.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2023, 09:31:37 PM »

Openreach's minimum contract on FTTC and WLR is a month. I believe it's the same with BT Wholesale. Absolutely no excuse for CPs to respond positively, no excuse for them not to pass on those terms to their ISP customers intact.

So the minimum-contract thing is entirely on the CP wanting to recover their "free/discounted activation" they usually offer for new customers?

It was very 'timely',  FTTP was installed and PSTN already cancelled eleven months before the email was received.

I guess that makes mine quite prompt then, they were only a few months behind my activation as I recall.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2023, 10:10:22 PM »

Quote from: Openreach GEA FTTC Price List
4) Hold to Term Charges become due when a Service is ceased before the expiry of any minimum period of service for that Service. The minimum period of service for Fibre to the Cabinet products is 1 month from 12/10/2017. Until this point the minimum period of service was 12 months (unless the GEA-FTTC service had migrated between Communications Providers when a minimum period of service of one month following such migration applied).

Quote from: BT Wholesale WBC Price List
Basic Service   Minimum Period   Operative Date   Charge Unit

FTTC End User Charges

Standard EU Rental (FTTC 40Mbps Downstream, 2Mbps Upstream)   1 Month   14/01/2018   Month
Standard EU Rental (FTTC 40Mbps Downstream, 10Mbps Upstream)   1 Month   14/01/2018   Month
Standard EU Rental (FTTC 55Mbps Downstream, 10Mbps Upstream)   1 Month   14/01/2018   Month
Standard EU Rental (FTTC 80Mbps Downstream, 20Mbps Upstream)   1 Month   14/01/2018   Month
Standard EU Rental (FTTC 160Mbps Downstream, 30Mbps Upstream) - Managed install only   12 Months   01/09/2017   Month
Standard EU Rental (FTTC 330Mbps Downstream, 50Mbps Upstream) - Managed install only   12 Months   01/09/2017   Month

Single order GEA (SOGEA) - End User Charges

End User Rental 0.5Mbps Downstream, 0.5Mbps Upstream   1 Month   01/08/2021   Month
End User Rental 40Mbps Downstream, 10Mbps Upstream   1 Month   01/04/2020   Month
End User Rental 55Mbps Downstream, 10Mbps Upstream   1 Month   01/04/2020   Month
End User Rental 80Mbps Downstream, 20Mbps Upstream   1 Month   01/04/2020   Month
End User Rental 160Mbps Downstream, 30Mbps Upstream (SOGFAST)   1 Month   01/09/2022   Month
End User Rental 330Mbps Downstream, 50Mbps Upstream (SOGFAST)   1 Month   01/09/2022   Month
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 10:15:45 PM by XGS_Is_On »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2023, 05:38:33 AM »

What's the minimum term on OR FTTP?

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2023, 08:40:14 AM »

Quote from: Openreach GEA FTTP Price List
The minimum period of service for Fibre to the Premises products is 1 month for new circuit orders connected from 29/04/2021.  Until this point the minimum period of service was 12 months (unless the GEA-FTTP service had migrated between Communications Providers when a minimum period of service of one month following such migration applied).

Pages: 1 [2]