Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Can't order FTTC migration from NowTV / Sky due to full cabinet? Keeping number?  (Read 1624 times)

bogof

• Reg Member

BT don't give the option of PSTN or their Digital Voice. It's just sold as broadband with a phone line. The online ordering gives no indication which would be used.
Their Digital Voice rollout is in full flow again so almost certainly it would be via VOIP and not PSTN.
This is not the case as of yesterday at least in some corner of their order system; when I was getting through their ordering system at the bottom of the page where you were signing up for the phone line there was a checkbox to allow you to request not to be served via digital voice.  I don't know if it is an ordering system glitch or something else, but here it is (see attachment).  Initially the system said ADSL only, then when you got through to order it said ADSL not available, FTTC, and then it gave you this option.

On another computer though (I guess with some cookie or something from a previous search) the system does seem to offer me an FTTC line off the bat, and doggedly offers me digital voice with no offer to change it - so I assume the first note is some kind of glitch in the matrix.  Who knows what I'd actually get if I ordered via that link!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 10:47:41 AM by bogof »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF

Whats the ADSL estimate? if its circa 20mbit it might be bearable.

bogof

• Reg Member

Whats the ADSL estimate? if its circa 20mbit it might be bearable.
I'm not even going to go there.  Two of them streaming all day, it's not worth the earache...

j0hn

• Kitizen

This is not the case as of yesterday at least in some corner of their order system; when I was getting through their ordering system at the bottom of the page where you were signing up for the phone line there was a checkbox to allow you to request not to be served via digital voice.

Indeed that's a new option. I don't know why they didn't offer that a couple years ago when they launched Digital Voice.
Waiting till 6 months before the service is withdrawn from sale is somewhat pointless.

There's still nothing stopping them changing it to Digital Voice at any point though unfortunately.
Their contract isn't specific about how they deliver their voice.

They wrote to my mum a couple times about moving the line to Digital Voice and warning if she had an alarm or similar device that required dial tone to contact them to block the move.
They did that twice, the 3rd time she received a package with a Digital handset and a letter informing her of the move date.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

bogof

• Reg Member

Indeed that's a new option. I don't know why they didn't offer that a couple years ago when they launched Digital Voice.
Waiting till 6 months before the service is withdrawn from sale is somewhat pointless.
I think it's perhaps an old option in the system somewhere that they've not got round to updating, as opposed to a new one, as when I process an application that has FTTC shown as available at the initial stage you don't get the option not to have digital voice; it only seems to be this corner case of the full cabinet leading to it saying ADSL only, and then telling you later that ADSL isn't available but FTTC is.  It's all a bit weird.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything