Computers & Hardware > PC Hardware

Graphics cards and Windows 11

(1/6) > >>

Jaggies:
Hi all.
I'm having issues with the on-board graphics on my Windows 11 PC, probably because it is only using 2GB of my 16GB RAM. I don't know if this is configurable. AMD Radeon Vega 3 is what GPU-Z reports.
Video is stuttery (is that a word?) and also shows tearing on faster sequences.
I want to install a graphics card rather than rely on the on-board graphics, but the usual retail sites don't show if such a card is Windows 11 compliant, and that's a must here.
I'm looking for recommendations for PCI-e graphics cards that are known to work with Windows 11, and have HDMI output. I don't want to spend more than £150-£200 if possible. I don't need a high-end device as I'm not using the PC for gaming; I just need better basic video output.
Any ideas gratefully received.

Alex Atkin UK:
I got an NVIDIA GTX 1650 to solve that very problem on Linux, I probably wouldn't go older than that if you want good video decoding support.  Although I honestly would expect the Vega 3 to be fine, its strange its having issues.

I don't know about the AMD cards to judge if something is just as capable in that bracket, I don't trust AMD drivers as they may be the cause of the problem in the first place.

HPsauce:
You don't say what sort of video you're having problems with.
I don't do much video on my W11 PCs apart from playback of domestic recordings, though one of them has a Hauppauge TV tuner in it and that works fine. No 4K stuff though ....
All my W11 video cards are either onboard or actually rather old. The system I'm typing this on has two monitors, both 1920*1080, and it's an Nvidia GeForce 8600GT card. It's the system with TV.
Those 8600GT cards actually come with a variety of connectors including HDMI and I have several that I move between PCs to suit the monitor mix. I think this one is actually using two DVI connections, but access to the back of the PC is not easy!

HPsauce:

--- Quote from: Alex Atkin UK on January 14, 2023, 01:58:41 AM ---I don't trust AMD drivers as they may be the cause of the problem in the first place.
--- End quote ---
My thinking too, my video cards are some years older than the one giving you problems.

Alex Atkin UK:

--- Quote from: HPsauce on January 14, 2023, 11:27:50 AM ---My thinking too, my video cards are some years older than the one giving you problems.

--- End quote ---

I was using Intel iGPU before this, with people saying their Linux support is great, but still had to resort to NVIDIA which most people despise their closed-source drivers but its the only driver I can prevent (or reduce so I do not notice it) tearing.

Not experienced that problem on Windows mind you, but then I hardly ever watch video on Windows these days.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version