Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Openreach Trial New FTTP Option for Copper Lines with Complex Faults  (Read 3801 times)

craigski

• Reg Member
Re: Openreach Trial New FTTP Option for Copper Lines with Complex Faults
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2023, 04:16:14 PM »

I read above, that customers should be encouraged to migrate to FTTP if available couldn't agree more.

However, the exact opposite has happened to me today.

I migrated to BT Openreach FTTP in Jan 2022. I cancelled my landline phone at the time, so the copper into property has not had an active service for 12 months.

Today, I get a letter from BT addressed to me at my address, saying there is a sale on and the headline offer is 'Fibre Essential' for £14.49 per month, or 'Fibre 2' for £16.99 per month. I'm assuming that a BT Marketing database has seen there is a copper line into the property that is not being used, so is a possible re-connection/sale, hence triggered the letter.

If you are looking to cut down your household costs, switching to our Superfast Fibre package and BT TV Entertainment could be an easy way to save

I don't get the marketing logic, why promote a FTTC connection as a headline offer, when FTTP has been active at property for 12 months?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 04:22:19 PM by craigski »

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2023, 05:11:02 PM »

Probably a database issue or some systems not joined up.

I doubt anyone would openly encourage a user to move to FTTC if there was FTTP present.

Though there could be some cases where let’s say an AltNet has provided FTTP - OR wouldn’t know this.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

craigski

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2023, 05:45:41 PM »

Probably a database issue or some systems not joined up.
I would agree, however the poorly worded letter suggest otherwise:

"If you are looking to cut down your household costs, switching to our Superfast Fibre package and BT TV Entertainment could be an easy way to save"

Just for kicks, I went to bt.com, enter my address, and the first three options are FTTC, I have to scroll down for FTTP options. So BT letter and website are promoting FTTC at my address, even though I have active  Openreach FTTP service.

I went to talktalk website, they do not give me any FTTC options, just FTTP.

I wonder if this is just a blip at my address? Maybe someone else with active Openreach FTTP connection goes to bt.com, enters their address and see what options are available in the sale? Are the FTTC products first on the list?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2023, 11:23:49 PM »

Or its a cost thing, might it be cheaper to provide FTTC to a property already wired than to pay the connection fee to have fresh FTTP installed.

Its kinda silly really that Openreach don't absorb the installation cost for a first FTTP connection as it will save them money long-term.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2023, 12:15:09 AM »

Apparently Ad47uk made some mildly disparaging comments about here and will not be back.
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2023, 09:38:47 AM »

Apparently Ad47uk made some mildly disparaging comments about here and will not be back.

Wonderful news.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller
Pages: 1 [2]

anything