Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Ogi Become First UK ISP to Deploy Nokia’s 25Gbps Full Fibre Tech  (Read 5193 times)

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
Re: Ogi Become First UK ISP to Deploy Nokia’s 25Gbps Full Fibre Tech
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2022, 12:30:47 PM »

Ogi is primarily a Welsh provider with their own FTTP network. They used to be called Spectrum Internet. They used to sell Openreach FTTP all over the UK but it looks like they no longer do.

You're only ever likely to get Openreach FTTP at your address and that's only because Openreach are being paid (a lot) to deploy it. While only served by them you would be on GPON.

In order for Ogi to wholesale their Nokia 25G PON to AA to sell to you they would need to roll out their network to you.

Spot on.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2022, 04:38:44 PM »

Thanks guys, I understood that, I was gently teasing our good friend dee.jay and encouraging him to go global. I would like to see the likes of AA/Cityfibre up here though. AA said their agreement was that currently they only cover England, which is fair enough as I see Cityfibre’s scottish presence is rather patchy. I don’t know what Cityfibre is like in the Central Belt, but iirc they have customers in Aberdeen and Dundee, don’t know about Perth, and as for Inverness I think it’s a ‘no’ for some reason, perhaps just a ‘not yet’.

I’d certainly prefer Nokia 25 Gbps upstream to 150 Mbps or whatever it is with Openreach FTTP. (Are any of those numbers even close to correct or have I got them all completely wrong?) And yes, I know I could get BT 10 Gbps / 10 Gbps with their ethernet services as resold by AA for about a million pounds a month. Or is that 0.25 football players?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 02:28:57 AM by Weaver »

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2022, 04:55:17 PM »

I would happily sell you our Ogi Pro 900/900 :)

Sadly not up to me where we build, but if I could I’d surely help you do something better.

If I recall you let holiday cottages or rooms - is that still the case?

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2022, 05:30:44 PM »

I’d certainly prefer Nokia 25 Gbps upstream to 150 Mbps or whatever it is with Openreach FTTP. (Are any of those numbers even close to correct or have I got them all completely wrong?)

Openreach currently offer upload speeds up to 115Mbps (220Mbps for business lines).

Openreach are trialing 1.2Gbps and 1.8Gbps download speeds ( https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2022/11/openreach-launch-pilot-of-1-2gbps-and-1-8gbps-fttp-broadband-tiers.html)

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2022, 05:39:18 PM »

OR could do higher upload, but they wont...

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2022, 05:53:43 PM »

@gt994sss2  - Thanks. I didn’t know about the 220 Mbps upstream thing - how does one qualify for that?

@dee.jay - Yes my wife Janet does B&B - overnight stays in Shepherd Huts, here in Heasta, Skye. Skye Shepherd Huts is her business.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2022, 05:54:05 PM »

If I recall you let holiday cottages or rooms - is that still the case?

Mrs Weaver runs a business that trades under the name of Skye Shepherd Huts and I am able to say, being related to someone who has stayed there, that a stay in one of the huts is highly recommended.

[Edit: Whilst my fumble-paws were typing the above, Weaver had already posted.]
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2022, 06:33:24 PM »

Openreach currently offer upload speeds up to 115Mbps (220Mbps for business lines).

Openreach are trialing 1.2Gbps and 1.8Gbps download speeds ( https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2022/11/openreach-launch-pilot-of-1-2gbps-and-1-8gbps-fttp-broadband-tiers.html)

Paying more and not getting any more upstream speed, they're having a laugh.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2022, 06:59:58 PM »

Greets Weaver,

CityFibre have announced Inverness however they aren't going to be anywhere near your good self. They build in large towns and cities where they have existing network, urban areas where they sign deals to supply local authorities and their surroundings.

https://cityfibre.com/about-us/rollout

The chances of CityFibre deploying to Skye are zero. The chances of any altnet building FTTP in your specific area are zero without taxpayer subsidy. The backhaul cost would be very high even without the cost of the access network due to no proximity to competing backhaul.

On the 220 upload to get it you pay a £500+VAT connection fee and then a ridiculous amount per month: it's 2.5 times the price of the 110 service just to get to the OLT.
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2022, 07:47:19 PM »

Thanks guys, I understood that, I was gently teasing our good friend dee.jay and encouraging him to go global. I would like to see the likes of AA/Cityfibre up here though. AA said their agreement was that currently they inky cover England, which is fair enough as I see Cityfibre’s scottish presence is rather patchy. I don’t know what Cityfibre is like in the Central Belt, but iirc they have customers in Aberdeen and Dundee, don’t know about Perth, and as for Inverness I think it’s a ‘no’ for some reason, perhaps just a ‘not yet’.

Their Scottish coverage is no more patchy than their English coverage. They selectively pick large towns and Cities and have an active rollout in all of Scotland's largest Cities, including Inverness.

A&A's reasoning for not covering Scotland is somewhat of a curiosity to me.
They say it's because Cityfibre's National Access product is England only.
CityFibre seem to think different

As I mentioned above the only reason you are getting FTTP is because it is being heavily subsidised.

As XGS puts it lightly, the chances of CityFibre coming to Sky are zero. The chances of them doing your specific property in Skye are less than that zero.

You're nearly 5 miles from the nearest town with only a couple properties in-between you and it.
The only way I can see you ever getting a fixed line alternative to Openreach would be some kind of local/community provider.
It just isn't viable for a commercial operator to cover.

Is Openreach's 115Mb/s upstream really not enough?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2022, 08:06:40 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2022, 02:35:32 AM »

If I were in an area where I had a choice of symmetric FTTP then I’d definitely go for it as backup to the cloud is a big deal for me. And at the moment it’s beyond painful, can take three hours to back up one machine. But there are limits to expenditure and I didn’t know that the 220 Mbps was soo expensive.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2022, 07:24:32 AM »

A way to look at it is 110mbps is still going to be a humongous upgrade, going from what you have now which is maybe 2-3mbps? to 110 is a 50 fold improvement.

You are also years away from R100 work been done, so things might also change by the time its available for you.  Plus 4G if you ever get round to it is capable of decent upload speeds, more than half of openreach FTTP.  That tied with FTTP could give you close to 200mbps.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2022, 01:27:26 PM »

Paying more and not getting any more upstream speed, they're having a laugh.

If they offered more upload they’d have no market for their other far more expensive products hence why they choose such a relatively low speed.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2022, 02:22:53 PM »

If they offered more upload they’d have no market for their other far more expensive products hence why they choose such a relatively low speed.

Yeah I know why, but it still sucks and guarantees I will move to Cityfibre once it arrives.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2022, 02:25:51 PM »

Yeah I know why, but it still sucks and guarantees I will move to Cityfibre once it arrives.

I will be more than happy to take OR 1000/115 when it finally shows up, but fingers crossed my company will be around at some point and of course I will migrate to that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything