Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: HG612 / Netgear Router - Hive Heating Weird Issue  (Read 7631 times)

gingerangles

HG612 / Netgear Router - Hive Heating Weird Issue
« on: December 10, 2022, 08:25:44 AM »

Hi All

Hoping someone can help me with this weird issue... I've had an unlocked HG612 running for years after setting up with the great guides on here... however in the last few weeks my Hive heating developed a strange fault.  Now I'm not sure if it's the HG612 but I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me troubleshoot as I've spent hours on to both Hive and Netgear without resolution.

The problem is that when I am connected to my local network (on any device, app or browser, ethernet or wifi) the Hive App wont let me have access - or if it does (as I seem to temporarily get access when some router settings are changed) it doesn't last long before I start getting errors.  If i use mobile data or connect using another network from outside mine (say at work) I have access fine.  ???

I was running a Netgear R8000 router but as a result of this I have splurged out on a Orbi system in the hope it might solve the issue (I was having some wifi problems as well with this and 2 x APs so this pushed me over the edge) but it hasnt.

So current setup is HG612 Modem with Netgear Orbi 850 doing the routing.

I've run through setting changes with Hive and Netgear helplines all to no avail, setup port forwarding and port triggers for what I am told are the ports Hive uses but again no joy - although this sort of setting change does seem to allow proper access for, say, 5 to 10 minutes before it all goes back to being broken strangely.

The Hive 'dashboard' sits on the Hive server I believe which then speaks to my hub... which I assume is all fine as I have access from outside my local network no problem.

So it seems to be either outgoing or incoming traffic to and from a device, connected locally, trying to talk to the Hive server and get access to my dashboard.  ???

Is there anything setting wise on the HG612 that could be the cause of the issue? 

I've had my BT home hub connected with the Orbi in AP mode and this seemed to work fine, but obviously this doesn't narrow it down between the modem or router really.

Any help much appreciated?

stevebrass

• Reg Member
Re: HG612 / Netgear Router - Hive Heating Weird Issue
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2022, 02:26:45 PM »

If you login to your Orbi, can you see the Hive Hub connected on the attached devices table?
Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2022, 03:44:22 PM »

It's not going to be the hg612 as that's in bridge mode, and it's a local network fault.

As it's happened on two Netgear devices, it could be a NAT or ALG issue.

Are you willing to try Openwrt on the R8000?
https://openwrt.org/toh/netgear/r8000

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2022, 04:13:49 PM »

Hoping someone can help me with this weird issue... I've had an unlocked HG612 running for years after setting up with the great guides on here... however in the last few weeks my Hive heating developed a strange fault.

. . .

Is there anything setting wise on the HG612 that could be the cause of the issue? 

No, absolutely not. As meritez has mentioned, the HG12 is setup as a bridging modem. As you have no problem accessing the Hive heating remotely but experience problems when attempting access from local, LAN side, devices the problem must originate with the router(s) in use.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

stevebrass

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2022, 05:06:09 PM »

It might be worthwhile restarting the Hive Hub.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2022, 06:41:41 PM »

Sounds like it might be a NAT loopback issue.
That's like when you can't connect to an IP/domain on the same interface but you can from an external source.

A quick Google suggests the Netgear Orbi's support NAT Loopback though so I'm not sure.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/NAT-loopback-on-Orbi/td-p/2153874
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2022, 06:46:20 PM »

NAT loopback is the devil. :p  You never go back to it when you've accidentally downloaded a large file from your local web server and it hammered the router because it went via loopback.

Although its a good test of how much bandwidth your router can do for NAT.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

stevebrass

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2022, 10:15:50 AM »

On which devices are you running the Hive app?

stevebrass

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2022, 10:25:46 AM »

I use Hive with the App on Apple devices. The router is a Netgear Orbi mesh connected to a FTTP ONT.

gingerangles

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2022, 10:29:08 AM »

If you login to your Orbi, can you see the Hive Hub connected on the attached devices table?

Hi, yes... it gets an IP address fine. I've also fixed its IP.

gingerangles

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2022, 10:31:37 AM »

It's not going to be the hg612 as that's in bridge mode, and it's a local network fault.

As it's happened on two Netgear devices, it could be a NAT or ALG issue.

Are you willing to try Openwrt on the R8000?
https://openwrt.org/toh/netgear/r8000

I had hoped that in terms of the HG612... absolutely no chance this is at fault then?
I've put the R8000 up for sale now I've got a really expensive orbi system with the same issue  ??? :lol:

gingerangles

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2022, 10:32:31 AM »

No, absolutely not. As meritez has mentioned, the HG12 is setup as a bridging modem. As you have no problem accessing the Hive heating remotely but experience problems when attempting access from local, LAN side, devices the problem must originate with the router(s) in use.

Good to know, thank you 👍

gingerangles

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2022, 10:33:48 AM »

It might be worthwhile restarting the Hive Hub.

Thanks... I'm no means extremely knowledgable in this area but I had got a little beyond the turn on / off stage 😉

gingerangles

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2022, 10:34:59 AM »

Sounds like it might be a NAT loopback issue.
That's like when you can't connect to an IP/domain on the same interface but you can from an external source.

A quick Google suggests the Netgear Orbi's support NAT Loopback though so I'm not sure.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/NAT-loopback-on-Orbi/td-p/2153874

Thanks, I'll give that a read and see if it sheds any light. 👍

gingerangles

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2022, 10:36:42 AM »

I use Hive with the App on Apple devices. The router is a Netgear Orbi mesh connected to a FTTP ONT.

I've got the problem across multiple apps and devices and also on browsers, Windows machines via WiFi and ethernet connections.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4