Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: DLM Banding on the line  (Read 3737 times)

parkdale

• Reg Member
Re: DLM Banding on the line
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2022, 11:03:48 AM »

DLM is just a sticking plaster for a much bigger problem.... Copper networks were never originally designed for high speed digital telecoms. DLM is what it is! until we are all on full fibre optic.

Most cheap Xmas lights imported from the far east would probably fail radio emissions regulations..... but hey who cares as long as it's cheap.

ADSLMax should try living on an ECI cab, i've lost 1/3rd of my speed in 5yrs, with no hope of ever getting it back. And it's very finicky, slightest disturbance will get you banded and interleaved for weeks if not months as I have been. 
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2022, 11:17:09 AM »

DLM is just a sticking plaster for a much bigger problem.... Copper networks were never originally designed for high speed digital telecoms. DLM is what it is! until we are all on full fibre optic.

Absolutely right, the original infrastructure (especially the aluminium cables), struggle to cope with high frequency products. Hence the absolute need for the 'plaster' (Dynamic Line Manager) to maintain stability.

I've said this a thousand times over, the vast majority of the public won't even notice banding, interleaving, retx, errors blah-de-blah ....... it's only on the geek forums that heavy scrutiny of a circuit takes place.

Yes, of course there are situations that are damned frustrating (especially intermittent cable faults and/or REIN), and as an engineer who has worked on both for well over 30yrs, I understand the frustration on both sides ..... OR and the EU's.
So, until the FTTP network is completed, the DLM will always be there working its magic. 

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2022, 12:37:21 PM »

Mate - what planet do you live on ??

Do businesses splash out millions of pounds on awareness campaigns for something that is not attributable to them, on this planet of yours ?? I can just imagine the share-holders reaction to that.

Before you start to lay your own thoughts down, how about you read up on REIN, educate yourself .... then you're not making embarrassing comments like the one above.
Couple of links below from our glorious leader and Ofcom.

https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/rein.htm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34964847

I quoted REIN stuff from an email from your boss, Mr Selley. So, any complaints - drop him a message. That BBC article you quoted talks about WiFi and it's by Ofcom, not Openreach. Then you hear about that village whose broadband was dropped every time a pensioner put her TV on. Nothing else, though.

Scottish Water, for example, runs a campaign on why people shouldn't flush wrong stuff down the drain. NHS Scotland ran a campaign on how not washing hands can spread Covid. So, it looks like Openreach is the odd one out here. It's like a sect that has lots of members but you hardly hear anything about it, apart from their raving about FTTP because everything else is a diaster and nothing to rave about.

I'm going to ignore your question about what planet I live on, as it's rude and inappropriate.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2022, 01:00:15 PM »

I quoted REIN stuff from an email from your boss, Mr Selley. So, any complaints - drop him a message. That BBC article you quoted talks about WiFi and it's by Ofcom, not Openreach. Then you hear about that village whose broadband was dropped every time a pensioner put her TV on. Nothing else, though.

Scottish Water, for example, runs a campaign on why people shouldn't flush wrong stuff down the drain. NHS Scotland ran a campaign on how not washing hands can spread Covid. So, it looks like Openreach is the odd one out here. It's like a sect that has lots of members but you hardly hear anything about it, apart from their raving about FTTP because everything else is a diaster and nothing to rave about.

I'm going to ignore your question about what planet I live on, as it's rude and inappropriate.

??? I don't have any complaints ... you're the one doing all the complaining.

I'm so sorry that that the 40,000 strong workforce don't contact you every time a REIN case is discovered, incredibly rude of them not to keep you in the loop.
Plus, your water/NHS analogy is ridiculous - those two industries you mention have to act upon the publics wrong-doings ..... OR are under no obligation if your neighbours Xmas lights are causing havoc !! What do you not understand about this simple logic ???

Please - ignore whatever you choose too, you don't have a grasp of how things work in my industry and when folk try to educate you, you try and find something else 'wrong' to have a go at.
Don't particularly like folk like yourself - negative, mis-informed, trolls.

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2022, 02:15:34 PM »

While I really want to move to CityFibre for symmetrical, I strongly suspect Openreach are a more robust network.  Also less prone to failure as their active equipment is back in a protected environment (an exchange) hopefully with a generator back-up, vs alt-nets that are using cabinets out in the elements, at risk of vandalism and car crashes and with at best a few hours battery backup.

Speaking for the two I know of neither CityFibre or Netomnia have active equipment in cabinets. Netomnia colocate in Openreach exchanges and CityFibre use a combination of existing sites and, more commonly now, standalone fibre exchanges with UPS and generator backup.
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2022, 03:51:59 PM »

I’m glad @blacksheep has made these comments. I don’t fully appreciate the incredibly difficult logistics of keeping infrastructure like the copper network running and in 99.9% of cases I think it does just fine. Hats off to the guys working on cabs or overhead in atrocious conditions that most of us wouldn’t venture out in.

However I’m not sure how anyone can hate a company? What’s in a company to hate, it’s name, it’s employees, it’s branding or it’s existence or just it’s financial performance.

Disappointing on a forum that is here to help people with genuine problems, for it to become a mud slinging forum.

Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2022, 06:49:11 PM »

Surely openreach should updated dlm system to take no noticed of every years Xmas Lights

Its the DLM that keeps many peoples lines stable during the festive season.  The DLM isn't there to annoy Max...  the DLM is a system used universally to keep millions of lines stable.   Its just rather unfortunate that there are a few near perfect lines that do get caught up when perhaps it isnt needed.   My own is probably one of them, but I'm not stressing out about it.  There are DLMs that are far stricter and have less modifications than Openreach's.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2022, 07:00:59 PM »

BT should have invested in fibre optic networks in the 1980/90's when the price/shortage of copper was a major cost (Aluminium was used instead!!!!) . Conservative gov of the time decided that fibre optic networks should be setup and run by new network companys... not BT. Hence we had Nynex etc putting in Co-ax cable in Citys and large housing estates first. BT were not allowed to compete, even though they knew going fully fibre optic, was going to be the future of networks.
Cable company's don't want any rural networks as there's no money in it. 
//snip

Aye, not many people realise that BT wanted to invest in fibre way back in the 80's but the gov put the blocks on that.  The "competition" thing never works, they only cherry pick the more profitable area's....  but in a way who can blame them when organisations are at the end of the day governed by their shareholders :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2022, 07:07:48 PM »

I think it was Margaret Thatcher that doesn't want full fibre from BT at the time under Conservative Party government. So, I blame the government not openreach.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2022, 07:09:24 PM »

Speaking for the two I know of neither CityFibre or Netomnia have active equipment in cabinets. Netomnia colocate in Openreach exchanges and CityFibre use a combination of existing sites and, more commonly now, standalone fibre exchanges with UPS and generator backup.

That's very good to know, gives me more confidence in switching to them when I can.

Do we know if Virgin Medias XGS-PON rollout is still cabinet based like their RFoG is?

Aye, not many people realise that BT wanted to invest in fibre way back in the 80's but the gov put the blocks on that.  The "competition" thing never works, they only cherry pick the more profitable area's....  but in a way who can blame them when organisations are at the end of the day governed by their shareholders :(

Its even worse than that, they already had developed the infrastructure when Thatcher scrapped it.

In 1986, I managed to get fibre to the home cheaper than copper and we started a programme where we built factories for manufacturing the system. By 1990, we had two factories, one in Ipswich and one in Birmingham, where were manufacturing components for systems to roll out to the local loop.

There's a good article on it here.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2022, 08:37:03 PM »

I think it was Margaret Thatcher that doesn't want full fibre from BT at the time under Conservative Party government. So, I blame the government not openreach.

Did'nt want to name an shame ;)

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2022, 08:52:10 PM »

Careful. Say it three times too quickly she reappears and steals your milk  ;D
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2022, 08:56:17 PM »

There's no magic incantation Black Sheep can wave with his wand (Test gear) to make a DLM behave.... "It is what it is" Unless he has a ESP (Extra Sensory Perception) device. When he puts his finger on the pad it tells him exactly where the radio interference comes from :lol: https://telephonesuk.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/esp_377a_top-1.jpg

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2022, 10:29:10 PM »

There's no magic incantation Black Sheep can wave with his wand (Test gear) to make a DLM behave.... "It is what it is" Unless he has a ESP (Extra Sensory Perception) device. When he puts his finger on the pad it tells him exactly where the radio interference comes from :lol: https://telephonesuk.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/esp_377a_top-1.jpg

Didn't you know?  He's supposed to personally come and install FTTPoD.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2022, 11:20:08 PM »

??? I don't have any complaints ... you're the one doing all the complaining.

I'm so sorry that that the 40,000 strong workforce don't contact you every time a REIN case is discovered, incredibly rude of them not to keep you in the loop.
Plus, your water/NHS analogy is ridiculous - those two industries you mention have to act upon the publics wrong-doings ..... OR are under no obligation if your neighbours Xmas lights are causing havoc !! What do you not understand about this simple logic ???

Please - ignore whatever you choose too, you don't have a grasp of how things work in my industry and when folk try to educate you, you try and find something else 'wrong' to have a go at.
Don't particularly like folk like yourself - negative, mis-informed, trolls.

You're very irascible, Black Sheep. I recommend camomile tea to keep cool. It's just a forum, you know. And Openreach just an employer that is not worth having a heart attack for. 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 11:23:08 PM by Edinburgh_lad »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4