Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: AVM Fritzbox 7530-AX slower and CRC errors vs 7530 faster and no errors  (Read 2977 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: How to interpret these DSL spectra?
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2022, 05:36:05 PM »

Here the DSL is down and we can see there is zero signal for the send direction. Question - what could be causing this?

As the VDSL2 link is down, there can be no interchange of (the link telemetry) data between the VTU-C (the DSLAM/MSAN) and the VTU-R (your CPE). At the time your CPE produced those images, it had no data to display for the US direction. Data which is normally reported by DSLAM, for the VTU-C has no means of transferring that data to the VTU-R. It's just a quirk of your CPE that the buffer was emptied before it created the plot.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

jamesbob

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2022, 07:19:31 PM »

What I find interesting is that in your case, you have no pilot reference, but it occurs on my spectrum.

Also, what version of Fritzos are you running?

How odd - no pilot reference. What does that mean?

FRITZ!OS:7.39-101540 BETA (latest)
I had to install the beta because the stable editions don't collect debugging stats fro AVM to analyse.

jamesbob

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2022, 07:25:43 PM »

As the VDSL2 link is down, there can be no interchange of (the link telemetry) data between the VTU-C (the DSLAM/MSAN) and the VTU-R (your CPE). At the time your CPE produced those images, it had no data to display for the US direction. Data which is normally reported by DSLAM, for the VTU-C has no means of transferring that data to the VTU-R. It's just a quirk of your CPE that the buffer was emptied before it created the plot.

Thanks for the explanation. Sadly it means I can't use it as a clue as to what's happening.

jamesbob

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2022, 07:30:11 PM »

You may have already done a quite line test? 17070 option 2, is there any noise on the line? test again when raining.

I will try it when it's raining. I currently don't have voice package on my broadband from Zen - will the test work anyway from the master socket?

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2022, 09:16:37 PM »

How odd - no pilot reference. What does that mean?

FRITZ!OS:7.39-101540 BETA (latest)
I had to install the beta because the stable editions don't collect debugging stats fro AVM to analyse.

Maybe you should report to AVM that there is no pilot reference. I don't know what that means in terms of Fritzos. Probably just it's not showing, but it's odd and you'd think they'd have picked it up in previous beta versions of Fritzos.

The new version of Fritzos that is currently being beta tested has a better operability between remote sites, which in practice, I presume, means a better connection on longer lines.

However, if you wanted to compare both Fritzboxes in terms of performance, you should have the same version of Fritzos installed on both 7530 and 7530ax models, especially that you're using beta on one of them.

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2022, 09:18:49 PM »

I will try it when it's raining. I currently don't have voice package on my broadband from Zen - will the test work anyway from the master socket?

These voice tests are only good if there is noticeable noise. On my line, for example, there's some noise (electrical impulses of 1s duration) that creates problems yet the line sounds ok. Unless I'm getting deaf as I age...

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2022, 09:40:24 PM »

These voice tests are only good if there is noticeable noise. On my line, for example, there's some noise (electrical impulses of 1s duration) that creates problems yet the line sounds ok. Unless I'm getting deaf as I age...

Not actual correct. The line should be absolutely quite on a QLT. Any noise indicates a issue on the metallic pathway.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
Re: AVM Fritzbox 7530-AX slower and CRC errors vs 7530 faster and no errors
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2022, 11:11:14 PM »

But 'absolutely quiet' is very non-scientific, isn't it, as it depends on lots of factors like the quality of your phone, whether you're finding it difficult to hear, whether you're in a room that is near a busy road, whether your neighbour has chosen to hoover the rooms and all that.

People just repeat stuff about the quiet line test without actually critically engaging in how accurate such statements are. If you want to test the quietness of the line, you should do it in a lab and in controlled conditions and using appropriate equipment.

Other than that, you may just have a vague idea that the line is quiet.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 03:58:50 AM by Edinburgh_lad »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2022, 04:04:30 AM »

A quiet line test should be quiet. End of.
If you have a phone that makes noise when none exists then get a new phone.
Conduct the test in a quiet area. If you can hear traffic or a hoover then conduct the test at a quieter time of the day, or simply listen for noises on the QLT that you can't hear prior to making the call.

A cheap £5 corded handset from Argos is absolutely quiet during a quiet line test. Not a buzz, hum, click to be seen. If any buzzes, hums, clicks (or any Electrical noise) can be heard then it suggests an issue and should be reported to the voice provider.

That's why it exists and why it's called a quiet line test. No lab necessary.

If you have hearing difficulties then obviously a quiet line test is a useless exercise.

You aren't conducting scientific experiments. You're listening for a noise during a call that you couldn't hear before the call.
Issues/noises that show up on a QLT are usually distinctive. Persistent buzzing, repetitive clicking, crackling noises, etc. You aren't listening for tiny noises that require an anechoic chamber.

To add, the pilot tone being missing is a red herring. It can also move tones as well as not show at all.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2022, 04:31:54 AM »

Interestingly, my line was NEVER silent, it always had a buzz on it even back when I had full 100/35 VDSL service.

I did try reporting it once but they never found a fault.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2022, 09:58:39 AM »

Interestingly, my line was NEVER silent, it always had a buzz on it even back when I had full 100/35 VDSL service.

I did try reporting it once but they never found a fault.

What do you say to that @j0hn? Are there exceptions? You also misunderstood my point about labs. Obviously I'm not asking for lab experiments here but highlighting the nonsensical nature of the 'absolutely quiet' statement.

Doing a test might be indicative that there is something wrong, for example noticeable crackling, but the idea of 'absolutely quiet' is absurd.

(Mind you, burakkucat will come here any minute and say how they can't be bothered this or that, and will lock this thread: gone off topic. Heed my words.)

jamesbob

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2022, 01:35:58 PM »

It has been raining heavily (and windy) for more than 24 hours, I'm sure all the outdoor equipment is soaked.

My spectrum now looks like this, not too bad?

And the error rate goes up and down but right now is ok, despite it raining heavily - so can we conclude it is not the rain?

I've not yet dug out an old phone handset to plug into the master socket to perform a QLT.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2022, 02:19:51 PM »

What do you say to that @j0hn? Are there exceptions? You also misunderstood my point about labs. Obviously I'm not asking for lab experiments here but highlighting the nonsensical nature of the 'absolutely quiet' statement.

Doing a test might be indicative that there is something wrong, for example noticeable crackling, but the idea of 'absolutely quiet' is absurd.

(Mind you, burakkucat will come here any minute and say how they can't be bothered this or that, and will lock this thread: gone off topic. Heed my words.)

The Oxford dictionary quotes several definitions of Absolutely. One is “perfectly “ so to my mind “ Perfectly Quiet” is hardly absurd
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2022, 04:25:32 PM »

And the error rate goes up and down but right now is ok, despite it raining heavily - so can we conclude it is not the rain?

Yes, I will agree with your conclusion.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 [2]