Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Transferring from Plusnet to Shell Energy and failing  (Read 1433 times)

Jaggies

Transferring from Plusnet to Shell Energy and failing
« on: November 11, 2023, 01:07:20 AM »

I've recently tried transferring my VDSL service from Plusnet to Shell Energy. My PN contract expires next month, and Shell have a special offer on and only require a 12 month contract.
They rang me to say they were unable to port my number, and would have to issue me a new one. My phone number has been in the family for decades, and I don't want to change it, so I cancelled the order.
I've posted on Plusnet's forum, but don't expect a reply over the weekend, but I wonder if anyone here has ported a number to Shell Energy successfully?

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Transferring from Plusnet to Shell Energy and failing
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2023, 09:59:07 AM »

5th September was the Copper Stop Sell:
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2023/09/openreach-stops-selling-new-uk-analogue-copper-phone-lines.html

Are you converting to Full MPF LLU and VDSL or trying to keep the PSTN service?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2023, 12:09:52 PM »

Shell don't seem to have updated their number porting page to reflect PSTN stop sell, it still mentions changing exchanges breaking porting which clearly is not relevant to VoIP.

So it may be they have left everything to the last minute and don't have a way to port numbers yet.

Unfortunately this is a pain as the only foolproof way to not lose your number, is to port the number first to an independent VoIP provider, losing broadband in the meantime.  Ofcom are really dragging their heels getting ISPs to make this easy for customers.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Jaggies

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2023, 12:00:23 AM »

Here in Inverness I do not have access to full fibre, so it should just be a straight transfer, surely?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2023, 02:49:04 AM »

The analog telephone service is being discontinued regardless of how your broadband is delivered.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 03:04:17 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2023, 09:11:21 PM »

Here in Inverness I do not have access to full fibre, so it should just be a straight transfer, surely?
it should if Shell support Full MPF migrate

Jaggies

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2023, 11:44:46 PM »

it should if Shell support Full MPF migrate
I was told on the Plusnet Forum that Shell Energy use Talk Talk LLU, which may explain the problem.
I'll have to look elsewhere for a new supplier. Any recommendations for a company only giving 12 month contracts? I don't really want to get in to a 24 month contract with the possibility of getting CityFibre at some point in the not too distant future, hopefully...

anything