Broadband Related > Broadband Technology

FTTP questions

(1/7) > >>

GigabitEthernet:
Hi all,

FTTP has been ordered now we've got it in my area - I'm very excited (how's that for sad!).

I had a few curious questions.

The 900Mb package, is the maximum achievable speed 1000Mbps? As far as I understand it 1 Gb ethernet port can't actually achieve 1Gb, it's 940Mb, is this right? Is the Ethernet port out of the ONT 1Gb or is it 10Gb?

What is the maximum achievable upload speed?

Thanks.

burakkucat:

--- Quote from: GigabitEthernet on July 20, 2022, 02:58:43 PM ---The 900Mb package, is the maximum achievable speed 1000Mbps? As far as I understand it 1 Gb ethernet port can't actually achieve 1Gb, it's 940Mb, is this right? Is the Ethernet port out of the ONT 1Gb or is it 10Gb?

--- End quote ---

A circuit provided over the Openreach GPON infrastructure can transfer bits at a maximum rate of 1 Gbps. However that bit stream includes all the overheads that are required to transfer Ethernet frames between an ISP and the end user. Hence the end user will not see 1 Gbps when performing a "speed test" (whatever that may be) but something in the region of 940 Mbps. Therefore you will typically find that ISPs will sell such a service as 900 Mbps.

Which service provider have you chosen?

gt94sss2:
The Openreach ONTs are 1Gps and would need to be swapped to support higher speeds

GigabitEthernet:

--- Quote from: burakkucat on July 20, 2022, 05:42:59 PM ---A circuit provided over the Openreach GPON infrastructure can transfer bits at a maximum rate of 1 Gbps. However that bit stream includes all the overheads that are required to transfer Ethernet frames between an ISP and the end user. Hence the end user will not see 1 Gbps when performing a "speed test" (whatever that may be) but something in the region of 940 Mbps. Therefore you will typically find that ISPs will sell such a service as 900 Mbps.

Which service provider have you chosen?

--- End quote ---

TalkTalk.

gt94sss2:
Talktalk are offering you a 900Mbps service?

As you know, I am on the same exchange as you but am only offered their Fibre 35 and Fibre 65 products..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version