Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Calling any YouFibre End Users  (Read 784 times)

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
Calling any YouFibre End Users
« on: July 15, 2022, 12:07:09 PM »

[Moderator note: This topic has been created by splitting off the following posts from displaced's "YouFibre Install Day!" topic.]

Any youfibre end users care to share single thread tbb speed tests please ? Interested to see some results as you fibre going live shortly in our town so when my zen fttp contract is up I might go with youfibre.
Thanks
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 07:04:56 PM by burakkucat »

Mark07

• Reg Member
Re: Calling any YouFibre End Users
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2022, 12:53:12 PM »

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1657185852651620555

Generally more "real world" results will be around 950/950

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2022, 01:05:58 PM »

...and one on the 500Mbit service:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1657886599505390755

No complaints whatsoever in real-world use.
YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2022, 02:14:52 PM »

Thanks. Thats good enough for me  :)

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2022, 03:34:11 PM »

Yep, can't wait to order!
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2022, 06:24:46 PM »

I keep getting pre order now but I won't as its been 6 months already since they started works in the town.
If the 6 months free offer is still live when my area is actually live I might go for it early as it won't incur further costs whilst waiting for the zen 900 to end..

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2022, 02:22:30 AM »

@Mark07 Notice the TCP backoff- temporary speed drop - in the TCP upload. It’s presumably due to packet loss which is either natural -  that is overfilling in routers that are intermediate nodes or packet loss due to corruption or badness. Whichever, the receiving end analyses what’s going on and always assumes that there’s a congestion problem in the network and that that is causing packet loss, so it slows down. This assumption, that a problem is congestion, is chosen to be one the safe side and protect the internet, even though the receiving o/s doesn’t really know exactly what’s going on. This temporary slowdown is a real damned nuisance as it takes time to recover cautiously to full speed and that really mucks up your download time. If your sending TCP implementation is too aggressive and sends way too much data, so that there’s no room to store it in all the intermediate routers or it overloads the receiving machine at the remote end, then you get penalised by the speed drop discussed before. It’s better to get the max speed right and get up to it quickly but accurately to the max rate but no more.

Sometimes with some speed testers I see a massive initial tx throughput peak, which only means that I’m filling up a huge capacity pipe, not actually getting all the data to the far end. Then the pipe becomes overloaded, a router drops packets and I get a big TCP speed drop, as discussed, which is bad news.

This is why speed testers should never test using TCP; they are testing a particular implementation of TCP’s behaviour, not the link and the ISP. A TCP test should be a secondary extra test, not a primary one.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2022, 01:04:20 AM »

Traditionally I think speed testers used TCP because TCP is mostly what the end user will be using.

Also if like TBB they do both single-thread and multi-threaded, it can show a problem where a UDP test might not.  It may have been impossible to spot the issue on this thread if the tester wasn't using TCP.

Arguably I think there probably shouldn't be a default at all, you should be asked if you want to test the clients ability to download files over TCP or try to determine the maximum your broadband can handle.  A default will always leave someone confused if its not made clear what you're testing.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2022, 02:27:19 AM »

I understand Alex’s position. Suggestions for design: The speed testers state that they are measuring the speed of your internet connection so that’s what they should do precisely, and that, imho means that tests of TCP software performance, which are simply that and not accurate tests of your internet access link, should be displayed as an important secondary figure. That should probably be entitled ‘file download test’ or ‘file upload test’ or ‘web performance test’ maybe, not just entitled ‘TCP’ because ordinary users won’t understand that at all. The primary figure should be a carefully written UDP-based timed download the upload test that slowly increases the rate until saturation is detected. There should first be separate careful flat-out and non-flat-out tests that are not there to measure throughput but to detect packet loss due to congestion and packet drop in routers in the first test of the pair and then to detect link unreliability and packet loss due to corruption, these have to be quite long unfortunately but without them packet loss could mess up the results of the main throughput speed tests, would confuse the UDP speed test algorithms and give an artificially low result for the TCP tests where packet loss is causing temporary speed drops during the transfers.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2022, 03:42:26 PM »

The problem with any speed test is no matter what methodology you use, you are only testing how fast that client can utilise your Internet connection.  You can never be certain you are testing the actual Internet connection limit, especially given Windows has some weird random networking bugs these days and a lot of PCs come with speed-limiting software the users are not even aware of.

Are you testing the limit your motherboard vendor has put on your client in their "gaming" software?
Are you testing the bottleneck on WiFi?
Are you testing the bottleneck on the routers NAT?

So at the very least it needs to be make clearer that these tests do not necessarily reflect the actual speed your Internet connection is capable of.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors