Chat > Tech Chat

Why Starlink is doomed to fail

(1/11) > >>

Alex Atkin UK:
Depressing, but it doesn't take much critical thinking to realise this is true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vuMzGhc1cg

Been watching a lot of video about Elon Musk recently and its utterly alarming how much of a scam artist he is.

Weaver:
Superb article. Starlink is grossly immoral and I will not be going there. The space junk and threat to astronomy problems are horrendous.

Alex Atkin UK:
I honestly didn't realise it performed WORSE than a three-satellite solution, I thought the whole point of low-earth orbit was because it could be faster.  I suppose it might be, with enough ground units, but then you might as well use 5G and fibre.

It seems he takes the Apple mentality "think different" to the extreme in that all he ever does is propose doing something the absolutely worst possible way, that will never be financially viable, in order to claim it as some breakthrough in technology that nobody else ever thought of.

His whole business model seems to be a kind of pyramid scheme, start a project, run into financial problems, get funding to prop up that business then funnel it into a new venture, rinse and repeat.  What possibly end goal could he have?  Does he honestly think if he keeps throwing stuff at the wall eventually something will stick?

It just boggles my mind he has been allowed to carry on like this.  He's not even a good speaker, stammering all the time, like he's trying to think up the next lie to proclaim to wow the audience.

I guess there's one thing he has done (yet somehow so many can't see it), he's shown just how flawed basing someones wealth on shares is, when those shares are artificially inflated.  The bubble has to burst eventually and he'll be left at best with nothing, at worst in jail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91lxr3UD8ys

Chunkers:
I think it might be worth suspending judgement on this, I mean he has built rocket ships and a lot of cars hasn't he?

I think Elon Musk has become even more of a political target since he starting messing with Twitter which apparently enraged a lot people who use it, if you listen to the mocking tone of the narrator its clearly a hit piece and not at all objective.

To me he is certainly no worse than the other billionaires who own everything and as an engineer I would say he has a lot of a great ideas and innovations (and no doubt a bunch of bad ones as well).

Isn't the whole point of Starlink to provide internet access to remote locations? My guess is that most of us in the UK are not really the target market.

Alex Atkin UK:
You're missing the key point, he has done what he has through fraud and its not sustainable.  That would be bad enough if it just meant he ultimately wasted a bunch of money and were left back at square one, but its worse than that.

He made a fortune from PayPal through absolutely no skill of his own, merely holding onto his shares.  From then on he's used his influence to con people out of money to put into project after project that is not financially viable.  Look through some of the other videos, its absolutely astounding just how corrupt he is.  He makes solar roadways, free/wireless energy and other scams look like schoolyard pranks in comparison.

There's a lot of things we CAN do, if we throw unreasonable amounts of money at it with no hope of a return on that investment, but what do you do when the money runs out? At some point his entire empire has to come crashing down as its based entirely on smoke and mirrors, its just unfortunate that a lot of innocent people will get caught in the crossfire.

I'm not talking investors here, if you didn't bother to do your due diligence then its your own fault.  But people who come to rely on Starlink are going to be seriously screwed when it goes bankrupt and we could ALL be completely screwed if his stupidity takes out all satellites in orbit.

You can't give "the benefit of the doubt" to activities that literally are hindering our ability to detect asteroids heading for earth, may destroy our entire network of satellites and make space travel no longer possible.  Ironically what Starlink is doing is completely at odds with his supposed goals for SpaceX.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version