Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: What tier level do people mostly buy?  (Read 2947 times)

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
Re: What tier level do people mostly buy?
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2022, 09:45:09 AM »

I’m not sure it works the same as copper there is no separate “line” for want of a suitable word back to the head exchange so the redundancy may only be over a very short part of the circuit
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2022, 01:55:41 PM »

I also wouldnt bond unless you need the performance specifically, as you dealing with packet ordering and other complexities.

When you get FTTP weaver, it probably would be good enough to have 4G as a backup with a lower routing priority so it still kicks in if the FTTP goes down automatically.  That would be better resilience as its actually over different infrastructure.

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2022, 03:19:40 PM »

Like others, I’ve signed up to an FTTP service that costs about the same as my existing VDSL.

Currently on Vodafone, getting 55/10 for £24

Will move to YouFibre, 500/500 for £25.

That’s a special offer though — that price would normally get 150/150.  I’ll see what happens after the 18-month contract’s up and see what’s available for a similar price then!
YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2022, 04:32:25 PM »

Unfortunate that the LAN devices are using A&A public addresses. Issues with them are a point of failure that true provider diversity would mitigate.

Anyway the backhaul itself isn't that big a deal. BTW will be resilient in its own right, part of a ring. TalkTalk having anything there is dubious, having a resilient ring more so.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2022, 04:51:02 PM »

I was only reading last night someone in Florida who lost their FTTP twice, and it took out cell service both times too to his property.

It seems they have a problem with drunk drivers hitting poles and taking out the fibre and the theory was that the same poles also feed his local cell site, so both would fail.  If he went outside his property, cell service would resume, presumably as he moved into range of a different tower.

So yeah, I think mobile backup is always going to be more practical, as there is at least a chance it wont be the same fibre route.  Makes me a little sad as mobile backup, at least on pfSense, is kinda sketchy because packet loss can cause the whole firewall to restart, even if nothing is using it at the time.  The alternative being to disable gateway action, which then means if it fails for some reason it wont automatically try to re-establish the gateway, which kinda sucks too.

I assume the Firebricks are more intelligent somehow, seeing as Weaver has already had a solid experience with mobile backup.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 2 [3]