Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What tier level do people mostly buy?  (Read 2948 times)

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: What tier level do people mostly buy?
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2022, 01:19:41 PM »

BT guarantee 700Mb/s in some areas but only 450Mb/s in other areas.

Openreach guarantee the ISP 110Mb/s on the 1000/115 product.
It's only BT giving that guarantee off their own back. They have no way to force Openreach to improve things if the PON dropped below 700Mb/s and BT would simply pay compensation for not meeting the guarantee.

If you take 2 FTTP packages then you will get a 4 port ONT.
The Openreach 4 port ONT's have a 1Gb/s optical to Ethernet backplane.
They aren't capable of running 2 x gigabit without dropping half the traffic.
You're going to have to settle for a single 1000/115 package or multiple lower packages.

If your main worry is upstream for Apple cloud backups then my god 115Mb/s is more than sufficient. It's absolutely overkill for that purpose.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 01:22:03 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2022, 03:59:38 PM »

If you take 2 FTTP packages then you will get a 4 port ONT.
The Openreach 4 port ONT's have a 1Gb/s optical to Ethernet backplane.
They aren't capable of running 2 x gigabit without dropping half the traffic.

That doesn't seem right as its not delivering the product you paid for then.  We also have @CarlT who seemed to not have that issue.

That said, I think dual FTTP from the same PON is kinda silly anyway.  For me the point of having dual would be diversity, so Openreach and CityFibre is something I might consider in the future.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2022, 06:05:45 PM »

There's also the fact it would be nice to be able to add cloud backups to my setup, which needs as much upload bandwidth as you can get.  Its just not practical right now with 15Mbit upload.
You might want to try Idrive https://www.idrive.com/  There's a free 5Gig just to test the function, or first you for $7.95 for 5TB.  I find it works perfectly well on our 8-10meg upload in LTE.  It actually worked OK on ADSL It did max out the upload for nine hours straight when I tested it, but that was a years photographs all at once.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2022, 06:29:10 PM »

That doesn't seem right as its not delivering the product you paid for then.  We also have @CarlT who seemed to not have that issue.

CarlT doesn't run an Openreach ONT for this very reason.

https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,25816.msg434189.html#msg434189
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 06:47:40 PM by j0hn »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2022, 08:56:58 PM »

That just seems really odd, I would have thought an ONT would inherently need to be able to handle line-rate on the PON.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2022, 10:59:54 PM »

You might want to try Idrive https://www.idrive.com/  There's a free 5Gig just to test the function, or first you for $7.95 for 5TB.  I find it works perfectly well on our 8-10meg upload in LTE.  It actually worked OK on ADSL It did max out the upload for nine hours straight when I tested it, but that was a years photographs all at once.

I've migrated the NAS drives a couple of times already.  Just moving 8TB to a new drive takes two days, and those are large files so best-case scenario on speed.  With Gigabit upload at best it would be twice as long, and that's just one drive. ;)

So even on FTTP with only 110Mbit up I'm going to have to be very selective about what I backup to the cloud.  Probably makes more sense to tar.gz my home directory so its one big file, the same way my VPS is configured to auto-backup to my NAS monthly.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2022, 09:32:47 AM »

@Weaver, I'm puzzled why you would be looking at taking 2 x FTTP services as I'm sure one would give you all of the speed you need. If it's for resilience then I don't think it'll make a lot of difference where you are as the most likely failure modes are physical: digger or tractor etc. As both fibres would almost certainly be supplied in the same physical 'cable' then it'd be highly unlikely to lose one and not the other.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2022, 10:53:46 AM »

As both fibres would almost certainly be supplied in the same physical 'cable' then it'd be highly unlikely to lose one and not the other.

There is no both fibres though. It would be a 4 port ONT with a single fibre entering the property.

He could of course get 2 different services from his provider, 1 via BTw and the other via TTB for resilience beyond the exchange but that's a very very expensive backup option when there's 4G failback available already.

I would have thought going from Weavers current less than 9/1 that 1000/115 would be more than sufficient!

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2022, 02:09:54 PM »

So it got me thinking are people going for the maximum they can afford, or the highest speed available?

Those are the same thing in some cases and I'd hope no-one is contracting for more than they can afford. FTTP in many cases now is being taken via the 160 product or higher. Price differences are minimal, 160 or 550 is the sweet spot for many, with 160 being the majority.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2022, 06:18:06 PM »

If you are going to have the opportunity to install FTTP, will you be changing ISP?

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2022, 06:20:32 PM »

Yes certainly
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2022, 09:55:37 AM »

There is no both fibres though. It would be a 4 port ONT with a single fibre entering the property.

Yes of course, silly me!

He could of course get 2 different services from his provider, 1 via BTw and the other via TTB for resilience beyond the exchange but that's a very very expensive backup option when there's 4G failback available already.

I would have thought going from Weavers current less than 9/1 that 1000/115 would be more than sufficient!

Fully agree with both of those points. @Weaver, what are your thoughts please?

adrenalize

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2022, 10:44:06 PM »

Those are the same thing in some cases and I'd hope no-one is contracting for more than they can afford. FTTP in many cases now is being taken via the 160 product or higher. Price differences are minimal, 160 or 550 is the sweet spot for many, with 160 being the majority.

It's a shame more ISPs aren't selling the 330/50 product - that would have been the sweet spot for me as I was looking for a reasonable increase in upload speed as when working from home I do utilise the upload a bit and the 160 didn't give me much more than my old FTTC.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2022, 08:16:40 AM »

Right now, Andrews and Arnold (aa.net.uk) offers a choice of BT or TT backhaul for DSL users who are on the right exchange, don’t know what the story is with FTTP though. And so if you have a bonded pair, with one line of each, then that would give you enhanced resilience.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2022, 09:13:15 AM »

Right now, Andrews and Arnold (aa.net.uk) offers a choice of BT or TT backhaul for DSL users who are on the right exchange, don’t know what the story is with FTTP though. And so if you have a bonded pair, with one line of each, then that would give you enhanced resilience.

Agree to a certain extent but the resilience you'll get is on a part of the network that very rarely fails. In my opinion you'd be paying a heavy price for resilience you'd be unlikely to ever need.
Pages: 1 [2] 3