Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What tier level do people mostly buy?  (Read 2949 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
What tier level do people mostly buy?
« on: February 24, 2022, 01:26:56 AM »

I was wondering what speeds do the people who have FTTP buy, or for the people planning to get FTTP what do you want?

I ask because I've been looking up FTTP prices as I'm thinking about the tier I'll eventually get. I'm not sure of the exact prices of FTTP. But I'll get the package similar to what I'm currently paying for FTTC, which I'm doubting will equal the top tier FTTP speed.

So it got me thinking are people going for the maximum they can afford, or the highest speed available?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: What tier level do people mostly buy?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2022, 05:55:40 AM »

I've gone for a package that costs roughly the same as I was paying on FTTC.
I managed to get a half decent promotional offer from Talktalk so get 550/75 for £30 a month..

I'll likely downgrade or migrate away at the end of the contract. I don't need anywhere near this speed and only took out because it was around the £30 figure that I can justify for broadband.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2022, 07:37:34 AM »

I've gone for 150/20 which is well more than I need!

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2022, 09:37:58 AM »

Work gave me 330/50 for free, so I went for that.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2022, 01:52:46 PM »

It's a long way off for us, if ever, but if it was available today I wouldn't pay for more than 40meg or whatever was the cheapest.  It's the reliability of fibre that would be a benefit us rather than the speed.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2022, 02:33:28 PM »

GIVE ME ALL THE INTERNETS!

Admittedly I'm in a unique position as spending most time at home and my mum being pretty much entirely housebound, I'm a real bandwidth hog.

There's also the fact it would be nice to be able to add cloud backups to my setup, which needs as much upload bandwidth as you can get.  Its just not practical right now with 15Mbit upload.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2022, 04:14:17 PM »

If it ever gets enabled here, it will be 900/900 for me so basically the full gigabit.

My main reason will be I have had enough of dealing with downloading QoS issues even though 99% of the time I wont be using anything near the capacity.  Plus games will download much faster.

There is a chance I may take 500/500 as that might be enough for the issues I mentioned.

craigski

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2022, 06:13:23 PM »

So it got me thinking are people going for the maximum they can afford, or the highest speed available?

My approach is look at cost over 24 months minimum contract. eg non discounted BT is £35 pm for 150Mb/s vs £55 pm for 900Mb/s, not just the monthly cost.

If you go with the 150Mb/s, that's a saving of £480 over the 2 years, could that £480 be better spent on something else, eg improving your local network/wireless, upgrade PC/laptop, etc, or anything else!

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2022, 07:17:03 PM »

I was wondering what speeds do the people who have FTTP buy, or for the people planning to get FTTP what do you want?

I am pretty sure most people (not necessarily those on this site!) with FTTP opt for slower speeds which are also available on FTTC.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 09:52:37 PM by gt94sss2 »

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2022, 09:34:44 PM »

I’ve ordered 450/70
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

SlimJ

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2022, 10:38:35 PM »

Went for EE Fibre Max 100 (145/30). Being installed on 1st March. £31pm, £82 cash back. There’s only 2 of us in the household so no need for anything faster.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2022, 08:32:23 AM »

I can justify £100 a month (paying that now for 2xFTTC) - so whatever that'll buy me whenever I can get FTTP.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

skyeci

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2022, 10:23:00 AM »

Full gigabit and nothing less  ;D hopefully in 6-8 weeks that will be the reality...can't wait to get of the eci cab, it has had a number of issues over the years.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 10:26:03 AM by skyeci »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2022, 11:33:07 AM »

It's a long way off for us, if ever, but if it was available today I wouldn't pay for more than 40meg or whatever was the cheapest.  It's the reliability of fibre that would be a benefit us rather than the speed.

So 330 Mbps downstream is indeed a long way off for us too. A factor of × 133 off in fact, per line, and god knows what the upstream is like. It would be nice to have × 133 faster downstream but as Mr Smith said, total reliability is the goal.

Upstream speed is very, very important to me so I would be thinking about two 900 Mbps downstream / xx Mbps upstream links just in order to get the associated upstream. In fact what is the upstream? Doing backups to the Apple cloud is a nightmare at the moment; it can take 40 mins for one of my Apple devices to do a backup sometimes!

I don’t understand the implications of ordering two PON links. I can of course ask AA.  I don’t know about the speed implications for contending ‘with myself’ and the avoidance of disappointment might be one of the many reasons why AA might want to talk me out of ordering two links. I don’t understand the reliability equation for PON, and am assuming that the improvement in reliability from ordering two FTTP links might be very poor. Carl is the man to ask of course.

Threats to FTTP that I can see are:
  • death of ONT
  • loss of mains at my end (I have a UPS and a generator though)
  • digger attack
  • attack by lorry or tractor
  • lightning strike on whichever exchange (Caol Loch Aillse not Broadford who knows?).
  • BT failure further upstream
  • AA failure / maintenance as always
The other day the electricity substation in Port Rìgh got hit by a direct lightning strike so everyone was without power in the town; we were unaffected here south of the mountains. I realise that optical links are immune but presumably there is still a threat to one’s FTTP service from (i) a direct hit on an exchange, although they are presumably heavily defended, and (ii) there is a threat from loss of mains at the exchange but again I assume there’s either a UPS and or generator backup for the exchange

If someone orders two FTTP links, I don’t understand whether or not there is a choice of an ONT with two ports on it or two separate ONTs.

I read somewhere that if one orders the BT 900Mbps / xx? PON service then the contention means you get a guaranteed 450 Mbps downstream. Please do tell me if this is wrong. So one advantage of buying two links is a guarantee of ‘full 900Mbps’ downstream.

I would have other practical problems to sort out, such as wireless bottlenecks, Firebrick bottleneck, gigabit ethernet bottleneck before I could get the full benefit of twin FTTP.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 12:09:40 PM by Weaver »

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2022, 12:38:04 PM »

I read somewhere that if one orders the BT 900Mbps / xx? PON service then the contention means you get a guaranteed 450 Mbps downstream. Please do tell me if this is wrong. So one advantage of buying two links is a guarantee of ‘full 900Mbps’ downstream.

My BT 1GB service is 900/110 (estimated). Actual is normally around 890/110. The download guarantee is 700Mbs.  I don't know how this would be affected by having 2 FTTP links.
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything