Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: crc errors  (Read 2142 times)

biro

• Just arrived
crc errors
« on: October 08, 2008, 07:28:38 PM »

I have had many crc errors and have a program that fixes them. I would like to make a very small file with a crc error in it. can anyone tell me how to do that? My thought is if I have a real small (the smaller the better) file with a crc error in it I could put it on a cd or dvd that I make and it would stop the average user from copying my disks! I mostly create dvd video disks would anyone know how I could get that on the disk? maybe put it in the AUDIO_TS folder? again I need to keep this file rather small.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: crc errors
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 08:15:36 PM »

Sorry I dont know.

Simplified

If adsl data is corrupt through some part of the packet having been lost, the packet is requested and retransmitted. 
CRC is a way of checking if all the received data contains all the information that was sent. Different technology is used for requesting the data once an error has been identified.

With storage mediums CRC is used to check if all the data that was being recovered (played) from the storage medium is the same as when the data was stored.  Youd have to find a way of corrupting the data after it was burned... then another method to be able to replace it. 
CRC is a method of error detection. - I would imagine you need to be looking at either encryption or parity/redundancy rather than error detection.
Reed solomon is the usual method thats used in both adsl and cds.. which has some sort of redundancy, but how youd make that work the way you want Ive no idea.  Back to encryption I think.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything