Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: fttp provision/ordering query  (Read 1434 times)

skyeci

• Kitizen
fttp provision/ordering query
« on: February 22, 2022, 11:54:27 AM »

Hope someone can offer some advice please. Today I was chatting to the Openreach contractor who was connecting the fibre to the CBT's on our estate. He told me all the estate has been covered.

I'm sure its been asked before but how long from this point does it take until a service can be ordered. Can't wait to get this.

thanks

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: fttp provision/ordering query
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 12:04:44 PM »

Its been covered a fair few times yes and its as you'd expect, can be anything from weeks to months depending on many factors.  Of particular note is just because all the fibre is there, doesn't mean all the equipment is in the exchange as like everything else its suffering from the silicon shortage.

Even once you've placed your order the delay from there is all over the place, depending on your local engineer availability.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2022, 12:06:54 PM »

Pretty much in the lap of the Gods, with no hard and fast timeline I'm afraid.

What should happen is once all the splicing is completed, it should then be tested, quality checked, sanitised and then pushed through to commissioning. The commissioning team then usually apply a 'Customer Ready For Service' (CRFS) date approx 2 weeks from receiving the commissioning request, this is for the service provider though ... not you.

Once the providers have that info, god only knows what happens, I've seen folk get service immediately and others wait months. I think Exchange cable-links play a part in this sometimes, but this is not my forte, j0hn is pretty clued-up with this side of the coin. Either way, you're a damned site nearer than me to getting it.  ;) ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2022, 12:07:34 PM »

Pretty much same time post as Alex - with similar content.  :)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2022, 12:08:59 PM »

Pretty much same time post as Alex - with similar content.  :)

Given that all I know is what you've posted before, being our resident authority on such things. ;)

Things are progressing here too, the DIG maisonettes across the road from me have now had ducting and ropes installed.  Although the ducting is wide open so so it should be nicely flooded by the time they pull fibre with the weather how its been.  Good job they re-joined all the cabling a few years back so its unlikely to get into the existing wiring.

I was impressed though that they installed them during the storm, with snow on the ground.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 12:12:00 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

skyeci

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2022, 01:00:45 PM »

Thanks to all for the info. Will keep everything crossed.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2022, 01:01:45 PM »

Given that all I know is what you've posted before, being our resident authority on such things. ;)

Things are progressing here too, the DIG maisonettes across the road from me have now had ducting and ropes installed.  Although the ducting is wide open so so it should be nicely flooded by the time they pull fibre with the weather how its been.  Good job they re-joined all the cabling a few years back so its unlikely to get into the existing wiring.

I was impressed though that they installed them during the storm, with snow on the ground.

Resident nosey sod, more like  ;D

Yeah, for more than obvious reasons, we don't climb in high winds but there's nothing to stop us going in UG chambers.

But, for what is the first time that I can ever recall, the company sent out a blanket e-mail asking their workforce to stand down from all work, if living/working in the MET office's 'red zone' during these latest storms. Sandbags wont hold pedestrian safety barriers in place with those kind of winds.

Other than that and local lightning storms, the guys just crack on regardless. Try climbing a 11mtr stick in cold temperatures, with the rain hitting you sideways, then having to fault-find as well. Not for the feint-hearted  :)

craigski

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2022, 11:55:42 AM »

I'm sure its been asked before but how long from this point does it take until a service can be ordered. Can't wait to get this.

My advice is don't rely on an email from Openreach (if you have registered your postcode email address) and/or your ISP for FTTP availability, just keep checking the bt wholesale availability checker, I did this daily as soon as I saw the CBT connected.

I never received an email from Openreach saying FTTP was available, even though I had received email confirming I had registered interest to 2 different email addresses.

I received and email from my FTTC ISP (TalkTalk) 3 weeks *after* I had been activated with FTTP (Zen, new install not migration) advising FTTP was available.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2022, 01:21:03 PM »

I don't see the 'after' product where I sit within the whole build process.

But is it really down to Openreach to contact you ?? We are not a service provider, we merely inform the ISP's of its availability. Maybe your 'registration of interest' also gets passed to the ISP's for them to contact you, as they did ??

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2022, 01:46:45 PM »

Cerebus advised me one day after it became available on the Openreach web site as available. I expect that varies between suppliers.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

craigski

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2022, 01:55:47 PM »

In my case, the OR build and install was brilliant. The build was ahead of schedule. The install was 2 stage, OR engineer turned up less than 23 hours after placing order for stage 1, stage 2 was 3 weeks later, but xmas was 1 of those 3 weeks.
But is it really down to Openreach to contact you ?? We are not a service provider, we merely inform the ISP's of its availability. Maybe your 'registration of interest' also gets passed to the ISP's for them to contact you, as they did ??
I don't know exactly how it is supposed to work. The email I got from Openreach suggest they would contact me, it says "We'll keep you updated"

#WeAreOpenreach <info@info.openreach.co.uk>
Great news!
Your address is part of our Ultrafast fibre rollout programme. We'll keep you updated throughout the process as your address progresses through our build plan.

These are the details we have passed on to our technical team to get started.

You’ve registered your interest in updates for a property in [AB123CD] If you need to change your marketing preferences regarding this site, click here.

I was just making point not to rely on being contacted by OR and/or ISP, as you may be able to order sooner, I'm not complaining they didn't contact me.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 02:00:09 PM by craigski »

skyeci

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2022, 07:15:50 AM »

Anyone have an example of how the bt wholesale checker would look when non fttpod  is available to order?

Have had this for some time

FTTP on Demand 330/50       Available

Thanks

skyeci

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2022, 10:00:36 AM »

My advice is don't rely on an email from Openreach (if you have registered your postcode email address) and/or your ISP for FTTP availability, just keep checking the bt wholesale availability checker, I did this daily as soon as I saw the CBT connected.

I never received an email from Openreach saying FTTP was available, even though I had received email confirming I had registered interest to 2 different email addresses.

I received and email from my FTTC ISP (TalkTalk) 3 weeks *after* I had been activated with FTTP (Zen, new install not migration) advising FTTP was available.

Be interesting to see but openreach made contact with me as I contacted them due to my fttc contract being up and was considering moving so didnt want to tie myself in if its coming soon. They came back to me and said I should be able to order withn 6-8 weeks...  :fingers:

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2022, 10:44:54 AM »

Anyone have an example of how the bt wholesale checker would look when non fttpod  is available to order?

https://ibb.co/RP6PBbp
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

skyeci

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2022, 11:09:27 AM »

Cheers!
Pages: [1] 2