Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: getting a network loop with 2nd connection for diagnostics (ZyXEL_VMG1312-B10A)  (Read 3190 times)

Skinnersplace

Bit of a stupid problem, I am sure I have just failed to set something up properly.....

Under normal conditions the modem and router (er-x). followed the guide (https://kitz.co.uk/routers/zyxel_VMG8324-B10A_bridge.htm) inc section 5 and https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=20901.0

My interface groups are set as "default" LAN 2 - 4 and "Bridge" LAN1
My default interface has the address 192.168.0.100 and Bridge has 192.168.2.1 (both have 255.255.255 netmasks)

The LAN Information MAC address is reserved in the ER-x as the 192.168.0.100 address

All works normally and I can get diagnostics using dslstats ok.

However, if I reboot the router, sometimes it does not reconnect to the WAN but I think gets served a DHCP address served from itself (via the diagnostics connection). It will then ultimately go into a boot cycle.
If I pull the diagnostics connection out of the modem, the router will boot up as expected.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 07:52:49 AM by Skinnersplace »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors

Did you specifically set an IP address for the bridge as AFAIK it shouldn't have one and there is no mention of configuring one in the guide?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Skinnersplace

I believe that is the defult value set when creating the IF

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen

If so it should be fine, as the guide doesnt mention changing it so I never looked.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Skinnersplace

I still have this restart issue though, where the ER-X gets a 192 address on the WAN port (with the diagnostic connection plugged in). It's like the two ports of the modem are still connected to the switch.

Is anyone using the VMG1312-B10A with an Edge router for a VSDL connection?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 04:07:14 PM by Skinnersplace »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen

I think most of the people using it are on PPP based connections which would explain why they never saw this problem, although anyone on Sky should have I'd think.

anything