Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Packet discards when uploading, and engineer visit notes  (Read 2697 times)

cbdeakin

• Reg Member
Re: Packet discards when uploading, and engineer visit notes
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2022, 02:53:47 AM »

So, I think it might be worth trying  to flash new firmware to my other router (TP-Link Archer VR200), which supports a custom firmware called OpenWRT.

It's also a more powerful router overall, as it has 2 CPU cores clocked at 500mhz.

This firmware includes a special feature called SQM, that is specifically designed to address router bufferfloat / local network congestion.

I did find though that I could minimize this problem by prioritizing ICMP packets using QOS with a DSL-N16 router.

EDIT- Looks like there's no easy way to flash the OpenWRT firmware to this router...

« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 05:46:38 AM by cbdeakin »
Aluminium line. ECI cabinet. Fun times.

cbdeakin

• Reg Member
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2022, 12:38:44 AM »

We're thinking of getting a Asus RT-AX56U, it's a quad core (1.5ghz) router that supports SQM (I will probably use the custom Asus Merlin firmware). Do you reckon that would be a good choice for FTTC (and FTTP, in a couple of years)?

Note - Not bothered about WIFI performance.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 12:48:13 AM by cbdeakin »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2022, 01:06:00 AM »

Can confirm SQM works really well though if you do manage it, assuming that CPU is up to the job.

I have an Archer C7 with OpenWRT SQM enabled on my friends Virgin Media connection, it tops out around 120Mbit with a 720Mhz SoC.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

cbdeakin

• Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2022, 02:36:09 AM »

I think the main problem is that my current router can't handle heavy UDP traffic well. I tested this by running 2 tests at the same time at this website:

https://packetlosstest.com/

I set the packet size set to max, for both tests to increase the bandwidth (over 10mbps in total). One of the tests reported download packet loss of ~70%. With latency times of 4-5 seconds, rather than milliseconds.

I think Geforce Now is probably pretty heavy on UDP traffic.

EDIT - Or, the connection doesn't have enough upstream bandwidth.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 02:48:25 AM by cbdeakin »
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything