Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Zen FTTC to BT FTTP Migration  (Read 4910 times)

atkinsong

• Reg Member
Re: Zen FTTC to BT FTTP Migration
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2022, 12:37:36 PM »

Yes, that's exactly what I did. New FTTP service from A&A leaving my FTTC & landline with Zen. Once FTTP installed I migrated my landline number to A&A voice which caused an automatic FTTP cancellation with Zen. I think it leaves my landline number permanently with A&A voip, but at least I'm free to switch FTTP provider. I'm not sure this option will be available to people with BT, Sky or Zen Digital Voice i.e. switching both FTTP and voice.
ISP:A&A, FTTP 160/30, Router Fritzbox 7530

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2022, 12:48:13 PM »

@g3uiss:
Yes, the land line migration does seem to cause complications when changing ISP's.
My daughter migrated FTTC & phone with Plusnet to FTTP with BT dropping the land line last month, no issues, all went fully to plan on the day.

Once I manage to get everything cancelled with BT I will attempt to get a comparably priced deal from Zen for FTTP & phone, at least with the one ISP there should be much less chance of loosing the existing service before the new service is in place or indeed the long standing LL number.

@atkinsong:
Yes, may have to consider the 2 step migration process as outlined, will see if Zen can offer the simpler alternative first.
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

atkinsong

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2022, 12:56:54 PM »

As your landline is currently with Zen, I'm sure there will be no problem migrating it to their DV platform. The interesting question is would you be allowed to migrate it away from their DV at some point in future, and if not could you leave it there and just migrate the FTTP service away.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2022, 01:22:59 PM »

The interesting question is would you be allowed to migrate it away from their DV at some point in future

Why wouldn't he be able to? It's his number.

I think it leaves my landline number permanently with A&A voip

It does not. You can migrate it away any time you like.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

atkinsong

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2022, 02:44:37 PM »

I was convinced when I ordered VoIP from A&A that I had read that they could not port numbers out. I now cannot find any such statement. I now stand corrected so please ignore my previous post.

Edit
Found it. This is stated in the T & C sent with the VoIP port in order:-

VoIP Services: We have very limited porting agreements in place so it is unlikely you will be able to port any number to another provider of your choice, although you may be able to port it back to the original provider if it is not one of our numbers originally.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 02:50:05 PM by atkinsong »

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2022, 03:09:31 PM »

I ported my landline number to A&A in 2016 then in 2019 back to the fixed line (CIX) when I moved to FTTP. I've recently moved it back to A&A and have no broadband with them.
Lothian Broadband 300/300 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

atkinsong

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2022, 03:15:32 PM »

Yes, I’m well aware that VoIP and broadband are completely separate entities with A&A. Not sure that’s the case with BT, Sky, or Zen DV though.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2022, 03:47:22 PM »

You can migrate out BT Digital Voice numbers and Sky VOIP numbers.
Sky had early issues where they had to change a number to PSTN before a migration would succeed but have ironed out those issues.
I'd be amazed if Zen didn't allow migrations from their VOIP.

The t&c's you quoted don't say you can't migrate VOIP numbers. It says they have limited agreements in place so choice of provider who you migrate to may be limited.

It wouldn't be a very good service to migrate your 30 year old landline number to if you were stuck with them forever.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 03:49:33 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

atkinsong

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2022, 04:01:27 PM »

Thanks John, but I can read it myself.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2022, 05:33:27 PM »

The t&c's you quoted don't say you can't migrate VOIP numbers. It says they have limited agreements in place so choice of provider who you migrate to may be limited.

It wouldn't be a very good service to migrate your 30 year old landline number to if you were stuck with them forever.

That's a curious interpretation of:
it is unlikely you will be able to port any number to another provider of your choice, although you may be able to port it back to the original provider if it is not one of our numbers originally.

They seem unsure if you can even port it back to the original network (may be able, not are or even should), let alone anywhere else.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2022, 05:35:59 PM »

If there is a formal mandated process to migrate from FTTC to FTTP and switch ISPs at the same time (?), then it should include provision for installation delays..

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2022, 04:20:14 PM »

The saga continues.
BT have raised a "replacement" order today after they cancelled out the original order on 18/02/22 when the Zen cease was cancelled.
It's completely starting from scratch again with the associated 4 weeks delay for "predicted" install on 21/03/22.
The associated hardware has been re-ordered on the new order even though I've already received this from the first order.
I can't follow the new order progress on "my BT", can only view the now closed out original order.

Zen have already confirmed receipt of the new BB & phone cease date of 21/03/22, obviously automatically advised by BT.
So best I can hope for now is the new migration date is confirmed by BT/OR and the install proceeds, otherwise, back to the previous cycle where Zen will terminate on 21st regardless unless I cancel (again) and BT will claim they can't inform Zen of any delays!

Bit of a mess which I'am reluctant to land on an alternative ISP until sure of either being fully serviced or completely clear of BT.
Insult to injury, notification of a service price rise with BT effective 31/03/22.

Edit: Typo correction.   

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2022, 04:35:48 PM »

It reads as if you should, perhaps, order a new FTTP service (not a migration) whilst keeping your Zen FTTC service on a monthly basis. Once all is proven well and good with the new installation, migrate your telephony service to a VoIP provider. That will then cease the FTTC service.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2022, 04:59:36 PM »

It reads as if you should, perhaps, order a new FTTP service (not a migration) whilst keeping your Zen FTTC service on a monthly basis. Once all is proven well and good with the new installation, migrate your telephony service to a VoIP provider. That will then cease the FTTC service.

Yes, could certainly come to that as indeed has been suggested by a number of forum partons.
It's become such a mess now!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2022, 05:03:46 PM »

It's become such a mess now!

Yes, indeed. <b*cat nods>
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4