Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Help: ZyXEL VMG8924 as Modem and ASUS AC87U as Router.  (Read 3023 times)

Uwain

• Just arrived
Re: Help: ZyXEL VMG8924 as Modem and ASUS AC87U as Router.
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2022, 11:44:57 AM »

That is, unfortunately, just a generic image which was used. In those instructions, if there are any discrepancies between the words and the images, the words take precedence.

I have struck out the incorrect implication.

Yes, both Ethernet cables should remain in-situ.

Yes, that is correct.

No, that is incorrect.
Thanks... that explains why I couldn't make it work this way with a single cable (without a static route)!!

The words for section 1. on that link just say any lan port... might it be prudent to suggest using port 1 in that section so that it matches subsequent instructions? Just to remove this possible confusion?
It doesn't matter to me - I wont be doing it this way... just trying to make it easier for others.

There is a static route set in the Zyxel

Should I delete it?

I dunno if you just mis-typed? But for clarification... the screenshot is of a static DHCP lease (mapping a MAC address to an IP address)... a static route is quite different.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2022, 01:46:07 PM »

I do use the 8924 in bridge mode, and you're absolutely right. The guide I've always followed is here: https://kitz.co.uk/routers/zyxel_VMG8324-B10A_bridge.htm
  Eric

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2022, 08:22:27 AM »

Now I'm confused as I thought the WAN port was only for when you are not using the modem in the Zyxel device.
I'm pretty sure the picture in the instructions is correct.

I dug out my VMG8924 yesterday and configured it in bridge mode temporarily.

The Blue port is for when you are using the 8324 or 8924 as a router with an external modem and shouldn't be used when used as a bridge modem.

On my connection, I just set it up as per the Kitz link and have it set up under the default group in the home networking settings with the LAN IP address set as 192.168.1.1

I don't have a Bridge group set up (mine operates off the default group with an IP address setting of 192.168.1.1, so apologies to j0hn and majnu if I created any confusion with my previous responses.  I had completely missed that the 192.168.2.1 local IP address was for the bridge setting.

I attach some screenshots of my settings in case it helps (but recognise that the likes of j0hn have far greater knowledge than me in this area.

majnu

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2022, 11:37:50 AM »

I do use the 8924 in bridge mode, and you're absolutely right. The guide I've always followed is here: https://kitz.co.uk/routers/zyxel_VMG8324-B10A_bridge.htm

I ended up reseting the modem and the router and starting from scratch again. Everything seems resolved now big thanks to everyone! @Uwain Just for clarification I didn't have a static route, it was a DHCP static lease, sorry about the confusion.

To me it seems there isn't a Double NAT because the first hop is a private IP address and the second hop is public so everything in the tracert looks normal.

Open a Command Prompt (on a Windows PC that’s connected to the internet, click on the Start menu, type “cmd,” and hit Enter) and type “tracert 8.8.8.8“ to see the traceroute to Google’s DNS server. If you see two private IP addresses listed in the first two hops then you have double NAT. If you see only one private address and the second hop shows a public address, then you’re all good.

Private addresses are usually in the 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255 range, the 172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255 range, or the 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255 range. Addresses outside of these ranges would be public (internet) addresses.

This is the setting I used.

Where my confusion came from is when you setup the Zyxel in Bridge mode it is assigned an IP in another subnet 192.168.2.1 so how on earth is it communicating with the router when it is outside of it?  ???

I guess that is why when I setup Time on the modem it doesn't work following this. (But that is another issue)

https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,21620.msg373613.html#msg373613
Pages: 1 2 [3]