Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Bonding advise. AAISP or Sharedband or neither  (Read 7547 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Bonding advise. AAISP or Sharedband or neither
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2022, 12:07:03 AM »

I would ask AA before factory-resetting the ZyXELs to see if AA has included any special BT/OR- or AA-related stuff.

My VMG 1312-B10A modems have an AA-supplied config in them, which is in XML so easily editable. I adapted it where necessary for each modem (unfortunately my modems have unique admin IPv4 addresses) and wrote a quick program to write out a customised per-modem file for each.

> That's the first I've heard of this and it implies we should have been doing this with Broadcom units too to make sure they meet BT spec.

Well, I’m assuming that AA did this for my own VMG 1312-B10A modems so I should expect to be fine.

Can you post some of your AA CQM graphs - that will have been the first thing AA looked at.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 12:42:28 AM by Weaver »

bignose2

« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2022, 08:17:18 AM »

Hi,
Many thanks for your very detailed reply,

So far this morning working OK but do want to investigate & prepare while I have the time.

I factory reset whilst chatting to AA so they could resend the config immediately. (reminds me must save the config)
I can now log in & at least view the SNR etc before rebooting the T20B if it happens again.
Speeds OK this morning but before had been OK 3 out of 5 days

Is 70m away on quality Cat6, it appears to have been the local (7m away) modem that failed as powering on/off that fixed it but I guess perhaps could have been an in balance to the FB. AA did think this would be OK, but not ideal.
Trying to avoid moving the BT socket, this remote modem is in a separate office & originally backup if my house had power cut or this link was broken that it would continue to work, now bonded not so easy as of course would need to swap in a modem/router & AA would need to config at their end but they said this could be done. This is basically if I was away and my staff (non-tech) could recover.

What I would like to do it get my previous VR600 modem working to test if is slows down again, should be the easiest way to rule out the Zyxtel but just cannot get it to work with the FB.

Have it set up as far as I can tell the same as the T20B. same IP, range etc, Bridge mode, says has internet .. AAISP.
FB WAN1 Green flashing so think connected but just the odd flicker of the yellow.

Will look at the diagnostics of the FB but would really like telnet access so I can chart the T20B SNR & errors etc, use to use routerstats many years ago but does not seem to play nice with the T20B, the T10B is listed as compatible.

One thing I don't quite understand is how the modem & FB IP's link & how to change. My LAN is 192.168.2.0/23
both modems are 192.168.1.1, in the FB Interface/IP subnet on the interface/192.168.1.33/24
This is in the DHCP of the modem, does the FB simply use that 1.33 as specified.

As the other T20B is the same & I would like to view over my LAN & assume cannot connect it to the LAN as will conflict with the other. on same 1.1

What would be the smart way to change Modem B
as .2. & 3. is in use I would prefer to leave it & have both in the .1's especially as my main PC set up with a IPv4/Advanced/Secondary IP of 192.168.1.2 so I can access the modem from .2

Could I e.g.
leave Modem A as 192.168.1.1 reduce DHCP accordingly
Static Modem B 192.168.1.100 adjust DHCP 101 - 164
Would I then change the FB Modem Interface/IP subnet on the interface, to e.g. 192.168.1.133   - not sure what to put here though as can't have /24
I guess I might have to /26   255.255.255.192 for 63 Ip's or less
Perhaps Modem B needs to have it's own range .0 or perhaps .4 but not so keen, not sure if adding more IP ranges on a Windows PC makes a difference anywhere else.
This is where I don't quite understand

Would quite like you config if you can send, for the comments, not sure how you go about going that?

Sorry got rather long again.

DaveC

• Reg Member
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2022, 05:55:17 PM »

bignose2,

Another AAISP/FB user here.

Based on the config AAISP gave us for our Office firebrick (2 bonded ADSL lines), they configure the modems to all have the same IP address (to make replacement easy), but place them in different "routing tables" in the Firebrick's config.

This is the snippet from our firebrick:

Code: [Select]
<interface name="Modem_1"
            port="WAN1"
            table="1"
            comment="Interface to get to Modem 1">
  <subnet ip="192.168.1.33/24"/>
 </interface>
 <interface name="Modem_2"
            port="WAN2"
            table="2"
            comment="Interface to get to Modem 2">
 </interface>

It then has these firewall rules to NAT connections to them:

<rule-set name="Modems"
           source-ip="list of allowed source IPs"
           target-ip="81.x.x.x" <!-- An IP address belonging to your Firebrick -->
           target-port="81-82"
           no-match-action="continue">
  <rule name="Modem_1"
        target-port="81"
        set-source-ip="192.168.1.33"
        set-nat="true"
        set-target-ip="192.168.1.1"
        set-target-port="80"
        set-table="1"
        action="accept"
        comment="Get to Modem 1"/>
  <rule name="Modem_2"
        target-port="82"
        set-nat="true"
        set-target-port="80"
        set-table="2"
        action="accept"
        comment="Get to Modem 2"/>
</rule-set>

So you would then access modem 1 at http://81.x.x.x:81/ and modem 2 at http://81.x.x.x:82/

You could add similar rules for telnet/ssh/https (or whatever your modems support).

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2022, 06:17:17 PM »

I honestly didn't know you could do that.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2022, 05:15:21 AM »

I had vaguely heard of it, very clever stuff. Didn’t have a clue though and my approach was much more long winded. That’s how you do duplicate equal IPs.

I don’t like the per-port thing one bit at all. I had seen that thanks to (maybe) vic0239? I can address particular modems admin IPs straightforwardly (seemingly, even though the innards are longwinded). But for them, replacement has to not be a mess.

I have to label modems and then in order to do a replacement, I have to run a program to customise a per-modem ‘slot n’ config file and then load that into the new modem.

DaveC

• Reg Member
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2022, 09:06:36 AM »

I don’t like the per-port thing one bit at all. I had seen that thanks to (maybe) vic0239? I can address particular modems admin IPs straightforwardly (seemingly, even though the innards are longwinded). But for them, replacement has to not be a mess.

I wonder if you can just pick any random IP addresses (one per modem) and rewrite access based on IP address, rather than port.  e.g.

<rule-set name="Modems"
           source-ip="list of allowed source IPs"
           target-ip="192.168.200.0/24"
  <rule name="Modem_1"
        target-ip="192.168.200.1"
        set-nat="true"
        set-table="1"
        action="accept"
  <rule name="Modem_2"
        target-ip="192.168.200.2"
        set-nat="true"
        set-table="2"
        action="accept"
</rule-set>

If that works, you could then just access the modems at 192.168.200.1 and 192.168.200.2

EDIT: I've just tested the above, and it looks like it works fine.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 09:11:33 AM by DaveC »

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2022, 10:08:23 AM »

True, but begs the question why have them on a single IP address in different segments if you're going to NAT them to different addresses?

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2022, 10:27:21 AM »

I had vaguely heard of it, very clever stuff. Didn’t have a clue though and my approach was much more long winded. That’s how you do duplicate equal IPs.

I have to label modems and then in order to do a replacement, I have to run a program to customise a per-modem ‘slot n’ config file and then load that into the new modem.
It's been a while since I used this configuration on the FB, but this is the snipped from the config showing the WAN definitions. The .1 addresses refer to the ZyXel bridge LAN IP address if my memory serves me correctly.
<interface name="WAN1"
            port="WAN1"
            graph="WAN1"
            ra-client="false"
            comment="WAN interface 1">
  <subnet name="VMG1312-1"
          ip="192.168.2.2/24"
          gateway="192.168.2.1"/>
 </interface>
 <interface name="WAN2"
            port="WAN2"
            graph="WAN2"
            ra-client="true"
            comment="WAN interface 2">
  <subnet name="VMG1312-2"
          ip="192.168.3.2/24"
          gateway="192.168.3.1"/>
 </interface>
Lothian Broadband 300/300 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

DaveC

• Reg Member
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2022, 10:53:55 AM »

True, but begs the question why have them on a single IP address in different segments if you're going to NAT them to different addresses?

Not sure I understand the question, but the motivation is to allow all the modems to have identical configurations (including the same IP address).  So if you have a spare, you can just swap it in without needing to modify it.

You can, of course, just give them different IP addresses if you don't care about that.

bignose2

« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2022, 01:22:24 PM »

Hi,
AA have spent a huge amount of time trying to help but weirdly I asked the same questions 7 or 8 times & never got an answer, in the end I assumed the setting was not relevant in bridge mode but yesterday had a nightmare where pretty much my whole network went down, could not ever access the FB.
Perhaps you could advise so I don't end up in the same situation.
I have IP range 192.168.2.0/23   so .2 & .3
<interface name="LAN"
            port="LAN"
            graph="LAN">
  <subnet ip="192.168.2.1/23 2001:8b0:dcf3:4eed::/64"
          ra="true"
          nat="true"/>
  <dhcp ip="192.168.2.101-254"
        lease="2:00:00"/>
  <dhcp ip="192.168.3.101-254"/>

The modems both were on 1.1 with DHCP On,
I moved to 192.168.2.8 No DHCP & to 192.168.2.9 static & No DHCP
I left the FB setting the same 192.168.1.1 & 192.168.1.33/24 - this is what I kept asking, Do I change!!!

Later on network went crazy as above, no access, IP's were being dished out in the 1.1 range ??
Few things I thought might have caused.
AA actually mistakenly put the modem subnet in 255.255.253 but DHCP off but still thought that might be a problem?
I actually think my problems were caused by a 3rd erroneous LAN Server Settings ..
under the first 2 correct ones was a blank 0.0.0.0/24
I put the modems back to 1.1. & disconnected the LAN cable in a desperate attempt to fix, seem OK at the moment.

BUT if I want to put the Modems back on 2.8 & 2.9 static & No DHCP.

What do I put in the Modem settings on the FB
I actually don't understand the 192.168.1.33/24 - how is this any relation to 1.1 & why the 24/

<interface name="Modem_1"
            port="WAN1"
            table="1"
            comment="Interface to get to Modem 1">
 </interface>
 <interface name="Modem_2"
            port="WAN2"
            table="2"
            comment="Interface to get to Modem 2">
 </interface>
 <interface name="LAN"
            port="LAN"
            graph="LAN">
  <subnet ip="192.168.2.1/23 2001:8b0:dcf3:4eed::/64"
          ra="true"
          nat="true"/>
  <dhcp ip="192.168.2.101-254"
        lease="2:00:00"/>
  <dhcp ip="192.168.3.101-254"/>
 <rule-set name="Modems"
           target-port="81-82"
  <rule name="Modem_1"
        target-port="81"
        set-nat="true"
        set-target-port="80"
        set-table="1"
        action="accept"
  <rule name="Modem_2"
        target-port="82"
        set-nat="true"
        set-target-port="80"
        set-table="2"
        action="accept"

Basically if static & no dhcp as on my already DHCP'd by the FB
I guess the set-target-ip="192.168.2.8" & 2.8
What about the the  1.33's

Really struggling here

Thanks I/A

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2022, 01:43:08 PM »

Need to keep it very simple, and use the auto-rollback feature in the FB so that when you make a dubious config change, it times out and undoes it if you don’t confirm that it’s ok within the time limit. Can’t remember the details just now. My config is a lot more straightforward, easier to understand than the AA one, but I don’t have their voluminous wisdom regarding the subject. Did we already once discuss my config in an earlier thread somewhere? Am too exhausted to snip out all the pieces from my own huge XML config file just now unfortunately but will try later.

DaveC

• Reg Member
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2022, 03:24:40 PM »

@bignose2,

I think this thread is getting a bit confused, with various people offering configuration advice, all with different approaches, and I'm not sure I understand what the problem is any more...

Maybe you could post your entire existing config file (with any private information redacted), and then we can take it from there? 

If I was you, I would try and keep the config as close as possible to how AAISP have initially configured it, at least until you've gained more firebrick experience.

Dave.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2022, 06:31:22 PM »

Good advice, from Dave.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2022, 08:47:14 PM »

I think this thread is getting a bit confused, with various people offering configuration advice, all with different approaches, and I'm not sure I understand what the problem is any more...

A mod report requested that we split this off, but after reading the whole thread neither another mod nor myself can find a logical point to start splitting off posts without it disrupting the flow and causing further confusion.

As suggested the best course of action would be for the OP to follow Dave's suggestion.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2022, 08:48:28 PM »

I agree that this topic is getting rather difficult to follow.  :(

If I am understanding correctly, there are a pair of lines providing a VDSL2 (ITU-T G.993.2) based service from A&A. The lines are bonded.

Surely, therefore, at bignose2's end the two ZyXEL VMG1312-T20Bs should just be configured to be VDSL2/PTM/VLAN end-points and nothing more? I.e. consider each one of them to be a media-convertor.  ???
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

anything