Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Openreach ONT enclosures  (Read 4783 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Openreach ONT enclosures
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2022, 05:11:46 PM »

Probably won't go to the trouble of POE powering the ONT as my existing switches don't support but it could be a future option.

I have two switches that do and still wouldn't do it, as that would mean wasting two switch ports as its only Gigabit to the router so you wouldn't want WAN and LAN going down a single port on Gigabit FTTP.  The ONT should connect directly to the router on its own port for simplicity and efficiency. ;)

So to PoE the ONT means needing an injector on one end and a splitter at the other, which makes both ends more bulky.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 05:24:23 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

DaveC

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2022, 05:22:31 PM »

Yes, possibly so, but in my case I had intended to fit a flush box anyway and very likely a second box for an ethernet point as the projected ONT install point is certainly not where I intend to situate the router/Hub, I can quite easily run a new Cat.6 cable up to the roof space (bungalow) and so eliminate an visable external loop to a new ethernet wall socket.
Probably won't go to the trouble of POE powering the ONT as my existing switches don't support but it could be a future option.
Do the current OR issue Huawei or Nokia ONT's actually support POE?

No native POE support, but you could use one of these (or similar) - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08HS4NT13 

If your switch doesn't support POE, then you could get a "POE injector" for the switch-end of the cable.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2022, 05:54:57 PM »

Thanks to all for the additional PoE information, a subject new to me.

One advantage that might justify the additional "injector & splitter" expense, the Hub/router will be UPS powered making the PoE power feed also protected.
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

DaveC

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2022, 07:47:24 PM »

So to PoE the ONT means needing an injector on one end and a splitter at the other, which makes both ends more bulky.

Yes, if only there was some kind of enclosure available for the ONT where you could hide all that gubbins ;D

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2022, 03:34:49 PM »

From Reply #3
They seem relatively large, compared to the ONT itself, and have ventilation holes on one side.  You would have hoped that Openreach thought about that.

Is overheating an issue for ONTs?

Having ordered and received the Huawei OR ONT enclosure complete with "useless ONT", have been running this for a few days PoE powered via the splitter/injector suggested by DaveC in Reply #16, can report that there is very little heat generated by the ONT, no detectable heat from the enclosure.
Of course as I don't yet have a working FTTP installation the ONT is "idling" as such with just an ethernet connection to my LAN and a red LOS indicator.

Still, happy with the enclosure, the PoE splitter will fit easily inside the double backbox and should result in a tidy installation.
The WAN data connection to HUB with PoE active has been verified by another source to work without issue on this particular PoE splitter.   

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2022, 05:28:26 PM »

. . . happy with the enclosure, the PoE splitter will fit easily inside the double backbox and should result in a tidy installation.

If you haven't already installed the double backing box, I'll suggest that you consider doing so with the long sides vertical. In that orientation the ONT within the enclosure will then be more conventional (i.e. Top up, bottom down, left hand side to the left, right hand side to the right.)  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2022, 08:48:51 PM »

You know that was so obvious and simple but had never occured to me, wood and trees scenario!
Many thanks for the suggestion which I will implement.

My house is timber framed so fitting a double back box in "portrait" orientation will be just as easy as fitting in the normal "landscape" orientation and probably better with respect to avoiding the vertical framework behind the plaster board.
I can normally run cables down the inner walls from the attic (bungalow) but will be more difficult on an outer wall with the insulation between the frame and the brick outer wall, still hope to get an ethernet cable run to the new box without having to resort to a surface cable run.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything