Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FTTP and FTTC replacement  (Read 1744 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: FTTP and FTTC replacement
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2022, 12:28:29 AM »

ONT and ONU are synonyms.

I'd guessed that, Optical Network Terminal/Unit.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2022, 05:05:47 AM »

In rare cases, mainly very rural areas, there are SHE's (subtended Head-Ends). Think of them as mini OLT's. They are bolted to the side of a PCP with their power and fibre coming from the PCP's fibre twin.

Stupid questions, just to check whether or not I’m understanding correctly :

1. Am I right in assuming that there’s no power in a PCP (normally)?
2. That is, is it the case that where there’s no FTTC then there’s no power in a PCP? (told you they were stupid ;) )
3. If FTTC with the fibre twin is introduced, is power always run to the PCP as a matter of course?

The pain killers are making my brain a bit fuzzy so please forgive the dopey nature of my enquiries.

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2022, 07:14:41 AM »

Only power to the PCP if there's a pod attached to it. This power is taken from the feed serving the neighbouring FTTC cabinet.

The low voltage feed in the street is tapped and delivered directly to the FTTC DSLAM. A combination fibre and electricity cable is run from the FTTC cabinet to the pod via the PCP.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2022, 12:26:52 PM »

I'll add to Reformed's answer with an image of Hunslet PCP number 82.

The cabinet in the middle is the PCP. It contains no active electronics. Just copper pairs and IDC blocks.

This cabinet has 2 "pods" attached, 1 on either side.
The unvented pod on the right with the numbers 82 written on it contains no active electronics. They are mainly used to provide more space for IDC blocks, possibly for the tie cables for 1 of the fibre cabinets.

The vented pod on the left contains active electronics.
In this case it's Huawei G.Fast DSLAM.
These vented pods can also contain VDSL2 DSLAM's or the S.H.E's (mini-OLT's) mentioned above.

This particular cabinet is very busy so it has 2 fibre twin cabinets. This is where the VDSL2 DSLAM is placed. It had reached capacity so a 2nd cabinet/DSLAM was installed.
They tend not to install 2nd fibre twin cabinets now and instead attach a pod like above to the PCP to increase VDSL2 capacity.

Power is fed directly to 1 of the DSLAM's in the fibre twin cabinets. From here power and spare fibre is fed through the ducts, up in to the base of the PCP and then on to the left hand side G.Fast pod.

So the PCP has no powered/active equipment inside it but it has a power cable running through it to the reach the attached DSLAM pod.

The pods have only been around a few years.
As mentioned above they are used for VDSL2 (expansion), G.Fast and SHE's.
I believe the pods require the PCP to already have a serving fibre twin cabinet, from which they share power and fibre.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 01:02:31 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM
Pages: 1 [2]

anything