Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Placement of NTU and related FTTP gubbins  (Read 5800 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Placement of NTU and related FTTP gubbins
« on: January 10, 2022, 11:06:51 PM »

Kitz has a picture of a plastic box covering a battery and ONT which goes in the wall in an FTTP installation. I have a few related questions for those that have had FTTP installations:

1. Will Openreach be willing to park the kit wherever you wish? High up on a wall, as opposed to at skirting board level ?
2. What about an installation on an upper floor?
3. What if anything have you done to prevent evil finger-pokers from switching the ONT h/w off or unplugging it and plugging the vacuum cleaner in instead?

I’d appreciate a photo of where you sited your ONT.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Placement of NTU and related FTTP gubbins
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 11:51:54 PM »

Some time ago you instigated a related discussion on this topic. (Unfortunately b*cat cannot put his paw on the previous thread.)

In your case, based on current practice, I visualise an aerial fibre feed entering the office of the "Weaving Shed". (Just like the current two aerial drops.) I then see an internal customer splice point (CSP) in which the exterior drop is joined (fusion-spliced) to a internal grade fibre cable. That cable is then run to wherever in the office that Senior Management decrees to be suitable. My crystal ball predicts either a Nokia or an Adtran ONT but not one manufactured by Huawei.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 12:44:00 AM »

> Some time ago you instigated a related discussion on this topic

I am so very sorry. Apologies to all. I’m continuing to fall apart. :( ???

Would appreciate some pics of installations from current users.

Is Huawei out because of international politics now?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 03:27:39 AM »

Would appreciate some pics of installations from current users.

There's been quite a few posted, so far everyone with the external CSP and just the ONT internally.  The battery and related boxing no longer being an option, sadly.
https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,24827.msg417501.html#msg417501
https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,26507.msg447286.html#msg447286

Is Huawei out because of international politics now?

Pretty much.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 03:47:59 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 06:08:00 AM »

> The battery and related boxing no longer being an option, sadly.

Could you explain?

Another question then: Does one need to use the usual mains UPS?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 06:51:55 AM by Weaver »

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2022, 07:37:06 AM »

Openreach no longer supply battery backup for the ONT, so if you want it to work during a power cut you will need your own backup source such as a UPS.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2022, 09:08:45 AM »

Ah, I was looking at Kitz’ pictures on the main site, didn’t realise that thinks are now different -?

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2022, 10:13:18 AM »

Hi Weaver,

Here's a video from a new FTTP install via Telegraph Pole:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BHaKeT9xsQ

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2022, 11:14:18 AM »

Ah, I was looking at Kitz’ pictures on the main site, didn’t realise that thinks are now different -?

The BBU only powered the ONT, nothing else. You still need a router to access the internet.
It's only purpose was to power the ONT so customer could make voice calls via the ONT's voice port.

Openreach ONT's no longer have voice ports. They no longer sell the product that used the ONT voice port (FVA - fibre voice access).

Openreach want out of the voice business. They are retiring PSTN and WLR and voice is moving to the ISP's responsibility. That's why they are all launching VOIP products.

The newer ONT's are as small as a master socket. They come with no enclosure and no BBU.
Openreach haven't supplied BBU's for a few years now, though you can still purchase them on the likes of eBay.
Powering the ONT alone is useless though, just buy a UPS.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

adrenalize

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2022, 11:16:49 AM »

> The battery and related boxing no longer being an option, sadly.

Could you explain?

Another question then: Does one need to use the usual mains UPS?
I guess for the huge majority they have no want or care for a backup for their comms kit, hence openreach no longer provide the backup option.

I think if you inform your CSP that you are are vulnerable then they can provide a backup solution.

For the rest of us it is really personal choice as to whether you wish to UPS any of your kit. Rather than the small ONT backup solution I would suggest using a bigger/better UPS solution which you can plug in the ONT, router, VoIP phones, ATA adapters, switches, APs etc to meet your requirements.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2022, 11:20:26 AM »

I think if you inform your CSP that you are are vulnerable then they can provide a backup solution.

That was the plan OFCOM were consulting on

If you ask BT and tell them your are vulnerable they run a check on your address to check your mobile coverage.
If you are deemed to have indoor mobile reception you are seen as covered.

I've never seen UPS provided by any ISP or seen anyone else receive 1.
BT say they don't have any form of UPS.

BT and Sky give out mobile phones to vunerable customers with mobile reception who say they don't have a mobile.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 11:22:36 AM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2022, 03:45:13 PM »

Rather than the small ONT backup solution I would suggest using a bigger/better UPS solution which you can plug in the ONT, router, VoIP phones, ATA adapters, switches, APs etc to meet your requirements.

But those "big UPS" will only run that equipment for 15-30 minutes and need expensive batteries replacing every 3 years.

The beauty of the BBU is it used off-the-shelf cheap NiMH batteries and I suspect ran for a few hours.

Its just incredibly inefficient to use an inverter UPS when all the stuff you have plugged into run off 12v where a simple buck/boost converter could run it for hours off lower powered, cheaper batteries.

Its a shame the only readily available options for that are Chinese 12V UPS units of questionable quality, or the ones Weaver is using which have less capacity.

Belkin made a bigger unit but it seems to be discontinued as they're hard to find.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 03:47:49 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2022, 06:20:26 PM »

The 12V dc Li-ion UPSes from Powerinspired that I’ve been using have I see been joined by an "H" model with a higher charge capacity for £48 instead of £40. The H model is said to run the usual domestic wireless router for about an hour. I presume that OR would shoot me if I used one of those. But as you say, using a mains inverter UPS seems incredibly inefficient.

adrenalize

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2022, 09:12:54 PM »

Those are pretty neat - can you replace the cells in them?

I don't know your requirments or how much kit you want to run off them - if you want to run more than an ONT/Modem (which I guess you would) and everything is 12v you could maybe use something from the security/fire industry like this
https://www.securitytradeproducts.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=336&language=en&currency=GBP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsNjmv4St9QIVhO_tCh3eswTnEAQYBCABEgKz6vD_BwE

which would give a longer run time and only one unit although wall mounted.

Some of my kit isn't 12v - which is a pain e.g Asus router is 19v and switches are direct mains.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2022, 10:31:19 PM »

> can you replace the cells in them?

I think not.

I have two of the older smaller ones, one for each of my WAPs. I’m trying to find an excuse to get the larger H ones instead. I’m thinking about using them with my modems instead of the PSUs that ZyXEL supply - those are already on a mains inverter UPS which powers modems, router and two switches.
Pages: [1] 2