Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: How do I get FTTP in the next 5-10 years?  (Read 9387 times)

aesmith

• Kitizen
Re: How do I get FTTP in the next 5-10 years?
« Reply #90 on: December 27, 2022, 01:57:47 PM »

The question was posed, 'What does the 'R' mean on 'R100 Scotland'.
The reply was 'Reach 100%, but it's currently looking like approximately 95%, at the moment.'
They claimed 95% coverage at "Superfast" speed in 2017. That was 24meg back then, whereas it's 30meg now. Does the current 95% mean 95% FTTP, or 95% getting at least 30meg?

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #91 on: December 27, 2022, 02:17:32 PM »

The target is >30 Mbit. Sounds like this will be delivered to about 95% of the remaining properties that don't have access to this right now.

The build is to 112,232 premises of which 110,815 will be FTTP: 98.74%.
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #92 on: December 27, 2022, 02:23:49 PM »

See above, Alex - I do not live or work in Scotland, so only get info when it is made available to the wider OR audience.

I was thinking across the whole UK, there must be a tipping point, just could be a decade away or more.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #93 on: December 27, 2022, 02:26:08 PM »

Cheers. Looking up my address on Digital Scotland they say
"Based on the current engineering schedule your address is in scope to receive its superfast connection in 2025"
But from what you say that could just mean 30meg 4G or satellite, ie nothing we don't have already. I'm kind of resigned to this, but I wish they'd be a bit more honest.

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #94 on: December 27, 2022, 02:29:32 PM »

If you're in the North or South region it'll be FTTP. If you're in Central 95.6% chance of FTTP.
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #95 on: December 27, 2022, 02:33:25 PM »

I wonder if we'll reach a point where DSL is no longer possible to maintain so 100% FTTP becomes the only option to keep a broadband service provided?  How expensive do we think it is to maintain ADSL for just a couple of customers in remote locations?  Will they just let that fall on 4G/5G?
I thought I'd seen an indication of how long ADSL (SOTAP) was supposed to be offered after 2025. Can't find it now but the word "Transitional" suggests not long.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #96 on: December 27, 2022, 02:52:11 PM »

Cheers. Looking up my address on Digital Scotland they say
"Based on the current engineering schedule your address is in scope to receive its superfast connection in 2025"
But from what you say that could just mean 30meg 4G or satellite, ie nothing we don't have already. I'm kind of resigned to this, but I wish they'd be a bit more honest.

As XGS points out 100% of the R100 work by Openreach in Lot1 (North and Highlands) and Lot3 (Southern Scotland) will be FTTP.
Most of Lot2 (Central Scotland) will be FTTP with under 5% being FTTC.

So if in Lot1 or Lot3 and R100 shows plans then you're getting Openreach FTTP.

Not everyone is currently being covered by R100. Those that haven't been scheduled to be covered so far (which is pretty much just the Openreach contract for now) will likely receive alternative technologies like 4G or satellite.

I thought I'd seen an indication of how long ADSL (SOTAP) was supposed to be offered after 2025. Can't find it now but the word "Transitional" suggests not long.

SOTAP will only be available to anyone with no FTTC/P availability. There's no current deadline on when SOTAP will end, or it will become unavailable if you have FTTC/P rolled out to you.
It doesn't even look like they have ironed out the final details on it yet.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 02:54:16 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #97 on: December 27, 2022, 10:35:27 PM »

Great news for those in Rural Scotland then, very high chance of R100 coverage been FTTP.

Inverness etc. pray they get 100% commercial coverage.

Dwight

• Reg Member
« Reply #98 on: January 26, 2023, 10:15:48 AM »

We’ve discussed this before and we’ve talked a bit about R100. Is there anything I can do to get gigabit-capable FTTP installed here? Somewhat to the north of IV49 9BN, which is No. 6, quite a way south, whereas I am at Torr Gorm, the first, northernmost house in Heasta. I’ll have to wait at least five years for FTTP and then probably nothing will happen at the end of that; we’ll all just still be left out.

Any suggestions about politics, pressure, money I could throw at it, but don’t have ?
Late to the party as usual!
Have you looked into Hebnet, currently on Egg doing wireless and fibre system around the Hebrides?
Regards.
Dwight.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #99 on: January 26, 2023, 04:22:17 PM »

Hi Dwight, that system is used by many of my neighbours now. Not remotely for me, not for business users, and zero maintenance my wife has lead me to believe.

I have recently started seeing what I can do to get FTTP right here. Far too early for any estimates of the chance of success.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 04:33:16 PM by Weaver »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #100 on: January 26, 2023, 04:31:25 PM »

I have recently started seeing what I can do to get FTTP right here. Far too early for any estimates of the chance of success.

I'd imagine nothing (at least from OR), if you are indeed already covered under the scheme.  As we know FTTPoD orders are rejected if you are already "in plan".
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #101 on: January 26, 2023, 04:52:32 PM »

As we know FTTPoD orders are rejected if you are already "in plan".

That is interesting. I am in a position to able to place an order and am told it's available to order... I guess if I attempt to order it (because OR claim to be in my area within the next 12 months) then this would get rejected and I won't have to fork out any money for civils, simply sit back and wait another year... I think that has just decided it.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #102 on: January 26, 2023, 05:05:45 PM »

Do your local authority (Highland Council?) have access to any information?  This is what I received from our LA's "Digital Engagement" when I asked whether cancelling our existing landline and DSL could mean we're excluded from R100 builds. Note the comment about access to an R100 mapping system.  But also note that "the majority" rather than "all" nearby properties appear to be included.
Many thanks for contacting the Digital Engagement Team.  My apologise for not coming back to you sooner. I can confirm that the status of your landline has no impact on the R100 full-fibre deployment plans.

The R100 programme was designed to improve digital connectivity on a premise-level basis, improving on older Government programmes which aimed to get a percentage of households connected to better broadband.  Because of this setup, your property was included in build plans, which have been created and agreed between BT/Openreach and Scottish Government.  In addition, using a mapping system we have access to for the R100 programme, I can see that the majority of properties around you are all also included in build plans.  BT/Openreach would actually do themselves a major disadvantage to exclude properties when they are building the network out into the area anyway – as they will have to go back and improve the connection at some point anyway, so they’d be as well doing when Scottish Government are paying them to do it.

Additionally, if you choose to cancel your phone and fixed broadband services delivered by your phoneline, your connection still exists – it just remains unutilised.  Therefore it still shows as a ‘live’ connection to your property on Openreach systems, and awaits upgrade.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #103 on: January 26, 2023, 05:08:24 PM »

That is interesting. I am in a position to able to place an order and am told it's available to order... I guess if I attempt to order it (because OR claim to be in my area within the next 12 months) then this would get rejected and I won't have to fork out any money for civils, simply sit back and wait another year... I think that has just decided it.
You used to be able to get a desktop survey with an indicative price, without commitment. Then I think it would be a non-refundable deposit to get a fixed price.  I kind of lost interest because at home, or my colleagues' homes, or our business premises, all got rejected at the desktop survey stage.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #104 on: January 26, 2023, 05:15:33 PM »

I can't speak for if its the same now, but certainly I saw quite a few posts on forums about people who tried to apply for FTTPoD after say their exchange was marked as Fibre First, and even though it was years away the orders were rejected.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

anything