Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: killed my own network with an effective ddos, read more (openwrt)  (Read 579 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF

So I applied a misconfiguration to my local proxmox server which caused (I think) both lan ports to go in a loop talking to each other rapidly.

This is what displayed on the console rapidly.
Code: [Select]
vmbr0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address (addr: <mac>, vlan:0)
Initially I thought my net died, but then I also lost connection to all lan devices, and notied on the archer C7 next to me, all lights flashing rapidly, flipped the wifi switch (handily even works on openwrt), it didnt stop, then tried each lan one at a time, and it was the one connected to my other switch in the living room, and when I went in there I discovered it was the proxmox box.

The eye opener was that this misconfiguration took down my lan, when I logged into the archer c7, ran 'top' then plugged in the cable again it was maxed out with interrupts, so lan processing overwhelmed it.

When I regained access to my firewall it had 13% packet loss on wan temporarily so it seems the packets went all over the lan.

Now I do remember years gone by reading up on something called spanning tree protocol, am I right this is what would have protected me here? Or am I off the beaten track?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: killed my own network with an effective ddos, read more (openwrt)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 11:15:58 PM »

Earlier this year I made a simple mistake with the physical interconnection of a pair of Adva FSP150CCs that are located in "The Cattery". Having recounted the tale, STP was mentioned in the very first reply.

I'll be interested to know what others make of your recent mishap.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 11:22:52 PM »

Maybe a giggle I dont know. :)

The C7 also had to be rebooted, the 5ghz just wouldnt come back up, and my laptop refused to see any wifi until I disabled the wifi device and enabled it again in device manager.

At the moment everything else seems ok.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2021, 12:15:21 AM »

Ouch. Regarding Spanning Tree, I'm not sure. I hope the problem didn't take too much time to identify the cause of. Amusing though that you managed to effectively DoS your own network locally by such a misconfiguration :D.

Regarding wifi, I know my Netgear Orbi's disconnect me after a somewhat short time period if there's no apparent internet connection (or at least they appear to). It's annoying if I happen to deliberately be making changes to my local network.