Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Modem to router or combined unit advice please?  (Read 3668 times)

cosrush

Re: Modem to router or combined unit advice please?
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2021, 07:19:05 AM »

@cosrush

Happy to run through the config, I can post my settings from my vmg1312-b10a in bridge mode if it helps?

Many thanks Meritez,

That would be extremely useful! I am somewhat overwhelmed by the amount of options available in the Modem.

To start with, maybe you could tell me what I definitely do need on or off in bridge mode?

SE

• Reg Member
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2021, 10:58:22 AM »

Hi cosrush
All in ones are less hassle, But there is an advantage to a modem at the socket
That being that say your line comes in to the front door passage, it may not be the best place for WiFi or a USB HDD

So you could have a modem there with a short rj11to socket and a cat5e or cat 6 to your cable or DSL router (wireless router mode in wan port)
That way your router can be moved much further away giving better WiFi and a safe place for your HDD

The HDD is for backups, films, TV shows and so on and let's everyone see what the TVs recorded or playon from most internet shows

You can do this with two DSL routers too, or AP with WiFi and a USB if needed :)
Just make sure you have a firewall on at the modem or router
go to Shields up full port scan when done
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 11:03:43 AM by SE »

cosrush

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2021, 07:50:59 PM »

Many thanks Meritez,

That would be extremely useful! I am somewhat overwhelmed by the amount of options available in the Modem.

To start with, maybe you could tell me what I definitely do need on or off in bridge mode?

You have PM

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2021, 09:01:09 AM »

@cosrush,

Cant attach anything via pm, attached below

cosrush

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2021, 06:08:05 PM »

Many thanks Meritez :)

The first screen is the same as min, the 2nd in your 802.1p you have '1' and I have '0'. Not sure what this is but I'll see if I can find out. 3rd screen I have only 1 line "Default   ptm0.1,atm0.1,eth4.1,pppo3G0   LAN1,LAN2,LAN3,LAN4" where you have 2 separate ones .
Any idea why that is?

cosrush

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2021, 06:10:23 PM »

This is my firmware version too 1.00(AAKL.18)C0

I've seen mention of a V28 version but I cant find it and also a custom one by somebody on here. Any recommendations on whether I should upgrade and if so to what?

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2021, 07:37:21 PM »

Many thanks Meritez :)

The first screen is the same as min, the 2nd in your 802.1p you have '1' and I have '0'. Not sure what this is but I'll see if I can find out. 3rd screen I have only 1 line "Default   ptm0.1,atm0.1,eth4.1,pppo3G0   LAN1,LAN2,LAN3,LAN4" where you have 2 separate ones .
Any idea why that is?

802.1p = https://www.openreach.co.uk/cpportal/content/dam/cpportal/public/images-and-documents/home/help-and-support/sins/documents/SIN_506_v1_8_jun_2020.pdf for fttp or https://www.openreach.co.uk/cpportal/content/dam/cpportal/public/images-and-documents/home/help-and-support/sins/documents/SIN_527_v1_1_apr_2020.pdf for g.fast

Apparently it's in SIN 498 for FTTC, but I'm struggling to find the document, got this kitz forum thread though: https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=20093.0
Code: [Select]
2.2.3 Upstream priority marking
CPs can (optionally) select the priority for each Ethernet frame via a VLAN PCP field sent into the Openreach modem from CPE.
 PCP = 2 or 3 (4-7 will be treated as 3) → High priority
 PCP = 0 or 1 or unmarked (no VLAN) → Low priority

V28 custom firmware here: https://github.com/johnson442/custom-zyxel-firmware/releases

I use tel-stats1.1-cmd.bin firmware

Lastly I demark my ethernet ports into two separate networks so that I can plug my LAN into ports 1 2 or 3 of the zyxel to retrieve stats on port 9000, as documented over here: https://kitz.co.uk/routers/zyxel_VMG8324-B10A_bridge.htm

cosrush

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2021, 07:42:36 PM »

802.1p = https://www.openreach.co.uk/cpportal/content/dam/cpportal/public/images-and-documents/home/help-and-support/sins/documents/SIN_506_v1_8_jun_2020.pdf for fttp or https://www.openreach.co.uk/cpportal/content/dam/cpportal/public/images-and-documents/home/help-and-support/sins/documents/SIN_527_v1_1_apr_2020.pdf for g.fast

Apparently it's in SIN 498 for FTTC, but I'm struggling to find the document, got this kitz forum thread though: https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=20093.0
Code: [Select]
2.2.3 Upstream priority marking
CPs can (optionally) select the priority for each Ethernet frame via a VLAN PCP field sent into the Openreach modem from CPE.
 PCP = 2 or 3 (4-7 will be treated as 3) → High priority
 PCP = 0 or 1 or unmarked (no VLAN) → Low priority

V28 custom firmware here: https://github.com/johnson442/custom-zyxel-firmware/releases

I use tel-stats1.1-cmd.bin firmware

Lastly I demark my ethernet ports into two separate networks so that I can plug my LAN into ports 1 2 or 3 of the zyxel to retrieve stats on port 9000, as documented over here: https://kitz.co.uk/routers/zyxel_VMG8324-B10A_bridge.htm

Thanks again Meritez,

I'll read and digest all the information you linked to.

:)

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

cosrush

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2021, 02:05:42 PM »

Hi again Meritez,

Can you possibly answer the following question regarding the modem setup?

Having the DHCP being done on my router, do I set the Modem DHCP to Disabled or DHCP Relay?

The reason I ask is because I would have thought on the modem network screen I would just see the router but I also see some of the devices on the router network too. Is this wrong?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 02:08:14 PM by cosrush »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2021, 03:13:30 PM »

Just a quick comment on things DHCP . . .

You can have both a DHCP client and a DHCP server. Your router will (most likely) be running a DHCP server on its LAN. I.e. it is handing out IP addresses, etc, to those systems connected to your LAN. Depending upon your ISP/CP requirements, your router may also be running a DHCP client on its WAN.

With a two box solution, you would disable DHCP on the device being used as the modem bridge. I.e. on a modem/router device, which has been configured to operate as a modem bridge, DHCP should be disabled.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

cosrush

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2021, 09:35:49 AM »

Just a quick comment on things DHCP . . .

You can have both a DHCP client and a DHCP server. Your router will (most likely) be running a DHCP server on its LAN. I.e. it is handing out IP addresses, etc, to those systems connected to your LAN. Depending upon your ISP/CP requirements, your router may also be running a DHCP client on its WAN.

With a two box solution, you would disable DHCP on the device being used as the modem bridge. I.e. on a modem/router device, which has been configured to operate as a modem bridge, DHCP should be disabled.

Thanks for the reply burakkucat,

As far as I can tell i have the router operating DHCP and as you described with the modem in Bridge mode DHCP should be disabled (but I also selected it as disabled).

Should I therefore be seeing devices that are on my router Lan in the 'modem network'? (I hope that makes sense!).

I would have expected the modem to see only one device i.e. the router

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2021, 04:37:14 PM »

Thanks for the reply burakkucat,

As far as I can tell i have the router operating DHCP and as you described with the modem in Bridge mode DHCP should be disabled (but I also selected it as disabled).

Should I therefore be seeing devices that are on my router Lan in the 'modem network'? (I hope that makes sense!).

I would have expected the modem to see only one device i.e. the router

Possibly, if your modem is on the LAN in any way (eg so you can access the stats) then it will know of other clients on the LAN via ARP.  The page you are looking at may be displaying the ARP table rather than the DHCP leases table.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2021, 05:01:38 PM »

On my ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A modem, VMG3925-B10B router bridged setup the modem GUI does not display the router (connected to the WAN port of the router) but does display all LAN, ethernet connected devices which have been configure for fixed IP addresses from the router.
DHCP server and Wi-Fi are disabled on the modem as per normal bridging practice.

Never really thought much about this, after initial setup only ever access the router GUI to find device IP addresses with no real reason to access the modem GUI.

Ref. Alex Atkin's reply posted while compiling this reply:
My modem ARP table displays the same LAN devices as the network map display. 
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

cosrush

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2021, 09:14:27 AM »

Thanks for the replies.  :thumbs:
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything