Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Modem to router or combined unit advice please?  (Read 3603 times)

cosrush

Modem to router or combined unit advice please?
« on: May 20, 2021, 07:40:14 PM »

I have been using my own DSL equipment on every ISP I have been with since day one. Back in the day my first modem/router was a Netgear DG834.
I have stayed with Netgear throughout this period with my current Modem/Router now many years old and getting a bit flaky (Netgear D7000) with more and more disconnects. I've currently plugged in my Plusnet Hub one but lost nearly 15 Mbps download.

I am now looking to replace the modem/router but as I've not been dabbling with these devices for a few years I suspect I may be out of the loop a bit.

I have been online and looked at reviews of modem/routers and what appears to be issue is that there are many many routers from all different manufacturers but a lot less Modem/routers.

Because of this I am considering switching to a separate Modem so that I have a greater choice of routers but also see there are not to many of these around either.

Is this a good idea or should I look for a combined unit again? My thinking is that if I get a reliable modem then further down the line if I wanted to upgrade the router I would have more choice than a combined unit.

I am currently on VDSL through the BT network.

Appreciate any advice.  :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Modem to router or combined unit advice please?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 10:28:03 PM »

True, pure, xDSL modems are very rare beasts. Even the DrayTek Vigor 120/130/160 devices are modems-plus.

Most people who prefer a multi-box solution will use a modem/router device with an appropriate, reliable, chip-set and will configure it as a pure bridging modem.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

cosrush

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2021, 05:15:00 AM »

True, pure, xDSL modems are very rare beasts. Even the DrayTek Vigor 120/130/160 devices are modems-plus.

Most people who prefer a multi-box solution will use a modem/router device with an appropriate, reliable, chip-set and will configure it as a pure bridging modem.

Many thanks for the reply. :)

What do I need to know about the Chipset?

If I therefore look at buying a modem/router to use in bridge mode only, anything I need to look out for or avoid?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2021, 04:16:29 PM »

The chip-sets to avoid, at all costs, are those from MediaTek. Devices incorporating chip-sets manufactured by Broadcom are the ones to consider.

Take a look at the ZyXEL VMGnnnn-B10x series (where nnnn is a four digit number and x is an upper case alphabetic letter). You will find many references to ZyXEL devices throughout this forum . . . The ZyXEL device I have always recommended, the VMG1312-B10A, is no longer manufactured and is becoming a rarity on the second-hand market, often at an inflated price.

I'm sure other members will be willing to suggest easier to source ZyXEL devices.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2021, 05:28:47 PM »

As per "b*cat's" advice, modem Broadcom chip sets are best on most lines and will provide the added bonus of the ability to harvest line stat's via utilities such as "DSLStats" if so desired or required in the event of any issues.

I ran a single box, modem/router setup for many years using a ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A, always worked very well on my relatively long VDSL-2 line giving the best possible reliability and stability on 40/10 service.
Decided to move to a separate modem/router (2 box) setup because:
The VMG1312-B10A only had 100Gb LAN ports and 2.4GHz Wi-Fi.
Gave the ability to "play around" with the router without dropping modem DSL synch and annoying DLM.

Have retained the VMG1312-B10A as modem as this has always produced the best results on my line.
First tried a Asus RT-AC68U router as highly regarded by many forum partons, however, I appeared to be unlucky and got a bad unit from Amazon (sold as new) which continually dropped PPP session for no apparent reason, had to return.
As a "stop gap", bought a S/H Zyxel VMG3925-B10B modem/router on e-bay for a very modest outlay which I set up as router in bridge mode, has worked so well that I've retained the setup to date.

Can't comment on 3925-B10B modem performance, sure others will advise, only used in router mode.
Wi-Fi is adequate for my needs (both bands) as most of my LAN is hard wired.
I believe some parties have reported possible 5GHz Wi-Fi drop out issues but have never had any such.

"skyeci" currently has a number of VMG3925-B10B's for sale in the "BB Hardware Swap Shop" at present and they are quite common on e-bay at very reasonable cost, believe they were free issue with at least one ISP so quite a few around.
There are quite a few other ZyXEL modem/router options available in the VMG range as "b*cat" has already advised, getting quite old now but usually still capable of giving good VDSL-2 service, some models have better on board "filtering" and usually perform better when being utilised as modem, this is well documented in many forum posts.

Edit: Typo correction
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 11:32:07 AM by tiffy »
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

cosrush

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2021, 08:37:31 PM »

Many thanks all for the replies :)

I'll look into the ZyXel modem routers you mention and what I can find.

I have used both Routerstats and DSLstats for many years now (in fact since my first DG834!). I like to keep a check on my connection stats.

cosrush

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2021, 07:55:32 AM »

Ok so I have looked at the ZyXel modems and can see what has been mentioned already that they are expensive at £140+. This is a lot more than I was factoring in spending.

To highlight a few things in the hope that some of you nice people may be able to advise more here are some extra details.

My current setup is a Netgear D7000 DSL modem/router. This has been providing me with a stable connection for many years now until recently when I started getting some random disconnects and figured the unit is now getting quite old, maybe time for an upgrade.
I also have an R7000 (router only) which I had from when I first went to Fibre (as when it came out BT gave to a modem). The R7000 is now used an as AP in the part of the house the WiFi doesn't reach well and is connected via Ethernet.
I have a plethora of old DSL modem/routers ranging from a F@st2504n, Sky SR101 and an original ECI BT Modem VB.

I like to monitor my line stats to keep a check on them (I've had many many issues over the years with numerous BT engineer visits) but as far as I can tell I cannot get any info from the ECI modem.
I believe my cabinet is a Huawei one as externally it looks just like the Huawei ones shown on this site. I believe that I could get less performance using an ECI modem on a Huawei cabinet.
Is that still true?
I know the HG612s were configurable to access stats but these are all old and used units now too.

Ultimately I would like to have a modem connection and then have a router controlling everything from there on.

I did look to see if I could put any of the old modem routers (SKY) into Modem only mode to use them but not been able to find if it is possible.

With regards to the ECI modem, do you just connect it to the phone line and then run the LAN1 cable to the WAN port on the router and then have all the connection settings in the router or do you have to log in somehow to the modem?

I also read about the BT HH having a hidden menu for 'Bridge' mode but alas it doesn't appear to be in the Plusnet hub one unit.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 09:15:12 AM by cosrush »

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2021, 01:30:08 PM »

Hi Cosrush,

If you search eBay for zyxel vmg https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=zyxel+vmg&_sop=15

Prices are around £10 for a zyxel that can be used in bridge mode.

There's a vmg8924 for around £15.

The vmg3925 is perfectly decent, still has firmware update from zyxel and is often underpriced on eBay.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2021, 01:34:19 PM »

Ok so I have looked at the ZyXel modems and can see what has been mentioned already that they are expensive at £140+. This is a lot more than I was factoring in spending.
Not sure which ZyXEL models or where you have been looking but yes sound a lot more expensive than I would have thought?

From a modem point of view, was thinking more along the line of XyXEL VMG1312-B10A, 8324/8924-B10A, all are modem/routers but have a good reputation in modem service with their internal front end filtering, yes, they are all old models now but still giving good VDSL-2 service to a lot of forum patrons and can still be aquired at very reasonable cost by shopping around.
Believe the ZyXEL VMG3925-B10B modem/router does not have the internal line filter.
Would also avoid the VMG1312-B10D model, budget Broadcom chip set, tried on my line, very poor results.

Can't comment on the original OR issue ECI modems have never used, I'am sure others can advise.
Have used an unlocked Huawei HG-612 modem which worked really well on my line and provided full DSLStats access, quite a few are still using these on their lines, appear to work very well with Huawei DSLSM's, would not write them off just yet and they are certainly very cheap and readily available.

Once you decide on a modem then the router is very much your choice, I get the impression that your current preference is a 2 box setup?

I also read about the BT HH having a hidden menu for 'Bridge' mode but alas it doesn't appear to be in the Plusnet hub one unit.
Have a PN Hub One, which is a re-badged BT HH 5A as far as I remember, was terrible on my line, can't advise on bridge mode configuration, would never wish to use.

With regards to the ECI modem, do you just connect it to the phone line and then run the LAN1 cable to the WAN port on the router and then have all the connection settings in the router or do you have to log in somehow to the modem?
Can't directly advise on the ECI modem bridge setup but would think it's just the same as any bridge configuration.
With my VMG1312/3925 modem/router setup I use an additional ethernet connection from the modem to LAN to access the modem GUI, obviously with different modem/router IP address allocations.
A RPi 3B running DSLStats is also ethernet attached to a router port for 24/7 stat's harvesting.

Cross post from "meritez" while compiling acknowledged.

cosrush

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2021, 04:49:45 PM »

Hi Cosrush,

If you search eBay for zyxel vmg https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=zyxel+vmg&_sop=15

Prices are around £10 for a zyxel that can be used in bridge mode.

There's a vmg8924 for around £15.

The vmg3925 is perfectly decent, still has firmware update from zyxel and is often underpriced on eBay.

Thanks for the reply. Looking at Tiffys response it would appear the B10A versions are the better ones to go for?
The link you posted list many VMG modems but they are all bar 3 different models. :(

Not sure which ZyXEL models or where you have been looking but yes sound a lot more expensive than I would have thought?

From a modem point of view, was thinking more along the line of XyXEL VMG1312-B10A, 8324/8924-B10A, all are modem/routers but have a good reputation in modem service with their internal front end filtering, yes, they are all old models now but still giving good VDSL-2 service to a lot of forum patrons and can still be aquired at very reasonable cost by shopping around.
Believe the ZyXEL VMG3925-B10B modem/router does not have the internal line filter.
Would also avoid the VMG1312-B10D model, budget Broadcom chip set, tried on my line, very poor results.

Can't comment on the original OR issue ECI modems have never used, I'am sure others can advise.
Have used an unlocked Huawei HG-612 modem which worked really well on my line and provided full DSLStats access, quite a few are still using these on their lines, appear to work very well with Huawei DSLSM's, would not write them off just yet and they are certainly very cheap and readily available.

Once you decide on a modem then the router is very much your choice, I get the impression that your current preference is a 2 box setup?
Have a PN Hub One, which is a re-badged BT HH 5A as far as I remember, was terrible on my line, can't advise on bridge mode configuration, would never wish to use.
Can't directly advise on the ECI modem bridge setup but would think it's just the same as any bridge configuration.
With my VMG1312/3925 modem/router setup I use an additional ethernet connection from the modem to LAN to access the modem GUI, obviously with different modem/router IP address allocations.
A RPi 3B running DSLStats is also ethernet attached to a router port for 24/7 stat's harvesting.

Cross post from "meritez" while compiling acknowledged.

Thanks Tiffy for the info,

You're right in your assumption that I more inclined to go to a separate modem router setup. This way further down the line if I want to upgrade the router I only need a 'router' as opposed to a combined modem/router.
All of the upgraded routers I have been looking at are 'routers' only hence why I'm looking to separate the 2.

cosrush

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2021, 05:01:59 PM »

Is the recommendation for ZyXel over other brands due to feedback on forums like this? Are they preferred over other brands such as Billion, D-Link, Netgear etc due to feedback from users?

If there's any other brands/models comparable please let me know. It'll help widen my search.

Looking at a ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A for £48 which is used but comparing it to a TP-Link WD9970 which also has a Broadcom chipset which is £35 new.

Is the ZyXel worth the extra cost?
There's also a Billion 8800NL which also has a Broadcom chipset and is £40 used.

I'm referring to this list
https://wiki.kitz.co.uk/index.php?title=BCM_routers

Appreciate your thoughts.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 05:19:20 PM by cosrush »

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2021, 05:48:41 PM »

Is the recommendation for ZyXel over other brands due to feedback on forums like this? Are they preferred over other brands such as Billion, D-Link, Netgear etc due to feedback from users?
ZyXEL models, I would say yes and from my own personal experience.

I use a Billion 8800NLr2 on my daughters 40/10 VDSL-2 line, Huawei cabinet, have always had good results on her fairly long and noisy line, I run a RPi Zero W on the modem/router with DSLStats remotely monitored via VNC so certainly in a position to judge performance.

Also ran a Billion 8800NLr1 on my sons VDSL-2 line, Huawei cabinet, same setup with a RPi Zero W, never had any issues on his 80/20 service either, however, much shorter and noise free line.
The general consensus of opinion on this forum I believe is that the "r1" model is a better unit but as I was not comparing like for like with line quality not in a position to offer an informed opinion.
My son has recently gone FTTP so his line stat's are no longer in the equasion.

No experience with TP-Link modem/routers but fair to say that they get very mixed reviews on this forum, I'am sure others will be able to offer a more informed opinion.

You have likely looked at this already:
https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0.html
Quite old but may still offer some food for thought on some of the models under consideration.

skyeci

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2021, 06:37:27 PM »

I have a couple of vmg 3925-b10b's for sale. Pre configured for bridge mode and provided with supervisor password. My ad's in the for sale section if its of interest.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2021, 07:18:41 PM »

I have a couple of vmg 3925-b10b's for sale. Pre configured for bridge mode and provided with supervisor password. My ad's in the for sale section if its of interest.

"skyeci" currently has a number of VMG3925-B10B's for sale in the "BB Hardware Swap Shop" at present and they are quite common on e-bay at very reasonable cost, believe they were free issue with at least one ISP so quite a few around.

Did mention this to "cosrush" in reply #4 but thank's for confirming that units still available, I'am sure he will be in touch if interested.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2021, 07:37:46 PM »

I agree with the recommendations given. The ZyXEL VMG 89xx and 39xx are good devices. I use three VMG 1312-B10A units on my ultra long (7300m) ADSL2 lines. You can find VMG 1312-B10A units on eBay cheap but you have to wait a while and being willing to buy from Europe too helps. The devices are indeed getting old now, so the newer models recommended by others are a safer bet.

Some ZyXEL models, such as the VMG 1312-B10A, have a performance-enhancing front-end analog filter unit which makes them superior on difficult lines. Another model, the VMG 1312-B10D, does not have this but this may, I don’t know, not be relevant on some (good?) lines.

I use custom firmware developed by one of our users, ‘Johnson’, because this gives enhanced features if you are using a device as a straight modem. Available for the 1312 and 8924 models.
Pages: [1] 2 3