Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: MAC Codes  (Read 8737 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
MAC Codes
« on: July 28, 2008, 07:50:57 AM »

Hi,my contract expires with BT on 2nd November,do I have to wait for the exact date before I can apply for a MAC code or can I apply before hand.How long does it take to get a MAC.
I have had an email from BT telling me if I renew for another 12 months they will knock me £2 a month off. :no:

Broadband1

• Reg Member
Re: MAC Codes
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 08:44:33 AM »

Hey UB my contract with BT ends on that same day. as for MAC codes you can call BT up and get one off them before your contract ends but they may imply a charge as you are on contract. I'm not sure which BT number you need to call but it should be on their webby-site  :)

PS. For the love of god do not I repeat do not renew your contract  ;D

Best of Luck BB1

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 11:08:38 AM »

Just had a reply from BT saying my 18 month contract expires on 10/10/2008.I can't understand this date as my BT broadband went live on 02/05/2007.Also you cannot apply for your MAC code until this date has expired(without penalty I assume)

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 11:39:38 AM »

true you can't get a MAC code mid-contract without putting silver in BT's palm. Which option are you on anyway ??  :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 11:41:03 AM »

Option 1

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 11:51:22 AM »

I wonder if the date, 10/10/2008 is the date of your last advanced monthly payment before the contract expires.
If that was the expiry date then you could finish up with no broadband until a new provider gets your MAC code to transfer you and as most transfers are done on the web, you would not be able to get changed over.

I suspect that you can get your MAC code after that date because you will have paid for the next (and final) month on your contract and can then change ISPs anytime in that month.

This is the online form and info for BT MAC code request:
http://www.bttotalbroadband.bt.com/cancellation/

dave 

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 11:57:07 AM »

@ Dave,my bill is usually generated around the 2nd of the month and debited from my account around the 15th.

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 12:08:40 PM »

I would double check, on the form and by speaking to a human, when your account does actually end, because you need a MAC code before then to stay on line from the end-date or how are you going to set up a new account without a net connection? If they keep your account 'live' after the end-date then you will finish up with a further charge for the extra time.
My MAC code was issued by email to me about three weeks before my Plusnet account expired (They had been paid up to the final date) and iIrc they are valid for about 30 days from issue dates.

dave

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 03:06:20 PM »

A MAC key lasts 30 days.
It can take up to 7 working days for an adsl migration to go through.
An ISP can not charge you for issuing a MAC
However they can demand payment for any outstanding time that is still within the contract.
With some ISPs the issue of a MAC does not count as termination of the contract and you may have to cancel this separately.

If your contract expires on the 10th..  you could apply for your MAC key during the last week of the month preceeding the end of your contract.  It could take a couple of days for BT to send you the MAC key... you then have a few days with which to use this.. and then it will still take a few days for the migration to go through.

When signing up with your new ISP they often ask you which date you would prefer the migration to occur on and they will if possible stick to that date.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/migration.htm
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 03:22:04 PM »

Thanks Kitz,I will apply for my MAC around the 23/24 Sept then. :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 03:53:24 PM »

Yep if I were you thats what I'd probably do.

When I left BT there was a short period of time where I was still "in contract" and in effect I was double paying for about a week or so.

With an IPStream to IPStream migration it also happens on occasions that you may be able to access both your old and new ISP for a short period of time.  However if youre going to LLU, then theres no overlap of access.

When I migrated to an LLU ISP, then there was a few days where I still had to "pay" which was the few days before my contract officially ended with my old ISP, but  it was only a couple of quid I wasnt that bothered.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 04:07:18 PM »

Well I,m 99% certain of going with O2(my exchange is LLU enabled for Be/O2).Like you say if it means paying a little bit for the overlap so be it.  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 08:15:39 PM »

Yep IMHO its not always possible to time it exactly to the day..  so not worth the hastle of attempting to.
As long as you get it within a close time frame... within the MAC expiration and ISP contract period date :)
-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 10:59:40 AM »

Hi guys,took Dave .m's advice and phoned BT,who said the mac codes are valid for 30 days (as Kitz stated) and I could apply for the mac from the 10th of sept.Any outstanding charges will be calculated on the day I leave.
Just to add,our BT account is in my partners name but I want my new BB to be in my name ,I don't think this will be a problem (will it?) as its only the mac code I need.
The only reason it is in my partners name is because I can't hear very good via a landline phone(especially trying to converse with Indians)O2 support is UK based and free from mobiles (The clarity from a mobile phone is a lot better for me)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 01:28:46 AM »

I'm not sure how strict they are these days.. but the adsl used to have to be in the same name as the name of the landline phone bill.
If youre getting a mobile contract at the same time in your own name, then to be perfect honest Im not sure what the correct procedure is.
Dont quote me on this, but they may be a little more lenient, particularly in the case where there are "partners".
-----
Pages: [1] 2