Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Router SNR -1db and still holding up :o  (Read 26124 times)

supercooper

Re: Router SNR -1db and still holding up :o
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2008, 03:24:00 PM »

Router stats lite does not seem to like the Linksys that is on site now.  The normal Routerstats works ok but wont track the downstream sync for some reason  :-\

Anyway back to the BT visit, did he arrive on site??? hmmm no!!  I spoke to my customer this morning and asked him if the Engineer had attended site, who told me no one has been at all.  I did see the spike as per usaual and called the customer straight away to ask him if anything was just switched on.  It turns out he had switched on 2 heaters and the kettle around the time of the dropout, he switched off and on again several times while i watched the stats, "nothing" :no:

The interesting thing is that the connection has been spiking all day, which i presume maybe the engineer at the exchange doing this but cant say for sure.  My provide has informed me that he was dispatched this morning, no idea why he didnt go to site to check this.

When the spikes hit the connection it seems to take a long time to recover, stepping up slowly per db, normally (looking back at the graphs) it jumps fairly quick back to the 15db target noise.  This could be the Engineer but i really wont know untill he hands his notes in.

Router stats:
DSL Status:   Up     
      DSL Modulation Mode:   GDMT     
      DSL Path Mode:   INTERLEAVED     
      Downstream Rate:   2272 Kbps     
      Upstream Rate:   448 Kbps     
      Downstream Margin:   15 db     
      Upstream Margin:   24 db     
      Downstream Line Attenuation:   46     
      Upstream Line Attenuation:   29     
      Downstream Transmit Power:   0     
      Upstream Transmit Power:   0

Latest RAD log:  Yesterdays 17:18 reconnect was me re-syncing (hit 5mb)
2008-10-14 08:33:39  <>  <>  Login OK   
2008-10-13 17:18:38  <>  <>  Login OK   
2008-10-09 08:38:51  <>  <>  Login OK   
2008-10-07 09:05:30  <>  <>  Login OK   
2008-10-07 05:04:09  <>  <>  Login OK   
2008-10-07 04:52:40  <>  <>  Login OK   
2008-10-07 04:40:12  <>  <>  Login OK   
2008-10-04 06:46:29  <>  <>  Login OK   
2008-10-04 06:13:37  <>  <>  Login OK   
2008-10-03 12:19:32  <>  <>  Login OK 

Take a look at the graphs posted, really wierd.  (Dont forget the customer has not touched the router)

Thanks, Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2008, 05:49:38 PM »

Don't know what to say on this, I had one this morling where I couln'd get to the end user as i found a fault with the equipment in the exchange.

Unfortunately due to a certain practice caused by the isp-bt wholesale, openreach chain trying a lift and shift is taking longer and longer,I stuck by the frame on the phone for about 2 hours.

A case preidentified as REIN is one of those where I would go to the end user first myself.  :hmm:

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2008, 12:00:13 PM »

Chris I've left you a pm about this one as I got this job today.  ;)

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2008, 08:40:38 AM »

Chris, when your on line, I'm on site at the moment waiting for the effect to occur, all fine so far

supercooper

« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2008, 10:47:30 AM »

Hi Ezzer :)

Sorry i have been off with FLU for a few days :(

Wow whats the odd's of you attending this site??  It's a small world to say the least but im so glad that you did attend this one. 

In my absence my router stats trace was switched off so i have no idea on what has happened with the connection since Wednesday.  I have checked the Router this morning and the connection looks fine as far as i can tell. 

As you said there appeared to be some noise up untill 10:37AM that maybe causing the issue, on the customers site and a close by unit.  Interesting to see the other connection he has does not seem to suffer but does have an NTE2000 installed.   

I spoke to the customer today and he said since you attended, no problems have been experianced at all and his VOIP call quality is spot on.

The connection has not had a dropout since the 16th which looks very promising.

I will run a trace again on RouterStats to see what differance it has made :)

Thank you so much for attending to check this one out for me. 

Chris :) :) :) :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2008, 11:00:09 AM »

>> Wow whats the odd's of you attending this site??

At least you know Ezzer will try his darnedest to get this sorted. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2008, 11:26:42 AM »

Thats good to hear, I hate jobs where the fault dosn't come up while I'm on site as you have to walk away thinking is it going to go belly up again.

Curious that theres a 2nd dsl line in exactly the same position which has been ok all this time the only difference was that one had a dsl ssfp fitted (it had an extention for the fax machine) and this one didn't (didn't have an extention comming off it either)

I would still like to know was it a REIN issue whch has now gone (permanently I hope) or was it a quirk where a standard microfilter picked up the interference where as the ssfp was ok.

Pass my regards to Sam (I think, sorry I'm terrible for names) in your office.

I know there was another dsl fault reported in a nearby unit, but I didn't get that one and havn't heard any thing about it although if that one is suspected REIN I'm bound to  ???

2 units down was a REIN fault from just over a year ago. 2 of us had to be on site at night as it only occured between 9pm till 6am. took 4 hours before we spotted the event. Told them it probably was the UPS on the 1st visit (need smug icon  ;)) at least the overtime was welcome  ;D

supercooper

« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2008, 10:47:07 AM »

Hi,

Ok the connection overnight and throughout the day is spot on, however this morning again there was a huge spike :(

The good news is looking back at this the connection it was very messy and suffered daily dropouts which no longer takes affect.

Hmmm im not sure if to contiune with it was the Router/connection does seem to tolerate the daily spikes.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2008, 11:04:34 AM »

A single deep spike like that is almost certain to be due to something being switched on or off. Your 15 dB noise margin has saved the connection this time, but it would be nice to discover the origin of these spikes.
  Eric

supercooper

« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2008, 11:24:04 AM »

I agree after all this time i would also like to know what is doing this.

Maybe Ezzer would like some more overtime  :lol: It is getting close to Xmas after all.

I shall pass this back to my provide to see if we can get back .

Chris

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2008, 11:27:15 AM »

Found the source........

Was assisting a collegue this morn' with a suspected REIN at a unit about 100m away, same problem, drops of sync between 8-8:30 till 9-9:30. this time a very distinct hum was comming from a neighbouring property who as it turns out suffer from the same problem.

After quite a bit of hunting round found the noise comming through a LAN socket back via there hub. 2nd pc that was shut down, noise went, pc back on, still no noise, monitor back on "Hello!" They also confirmed this in that their dsl drops at about the same time this pc is switched on.

About the 1st time where the 444b tester was better in locating the source than a MW radio

Hopefully they'll replace the monitor as the cable still had a ferrite collar in place.

I went to your customer and so far they havn't noticed their system dropping out so it seems the ssfp had detuned their circuit from the REIN somewhat

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2008, 10:48:38 PM »

>> Found the source......

Sorry Ezzer - just to clarify for my own curiosity. 
The monitor - was it in the premises of the 2nd property (100m from chris's customer).. that was knocking out the both of them?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #72 on: October 22, 2008, 08:46:04 AM »

Chris customer was in a unit by the road, the customer we had the other day was accessable via a drive between 2 neighbouring units. It was as you drove between these 2 units I could hear a loud blast comming through the radio

Fortunately this 3 unit let us in (the workers were bemused by our appearance on site) and it was there we traced the problem. they'd been living with the broadband problem without ever reporting it. the other unit (4th one) had a rein fault last year due to a ups  ???

"confused? you will be after this edition of soap"

thought I'd start a little earlyer today, flat batteries everywhere, must be the cold  :(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2008, 08:52:20 AM »

ahh... thanks kindly for the explanation - understood now.
Another monitor to add to the REIN list then :/

>> "confused? you will be after this edition of soap"

lets hope this one was the final episode  ;D

>> thought I'd start a little earlyer today,

have a good one :)

-----

supercooper

« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2008, 10:50:08 AM »

The couple of days the problem still happend, but this morning nothing :)

It all looks great at the moment with no drops since the 16th.

I'm made up with the outcome on this, thank you very much Ezzer for your efforts on resolving this problem.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6