Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DLM Re-Synch's Today  (Read 1026 times)

tiffy

• Kitizen
DLM Re-Synch's Today
« on: July 03, 2020, 11:40:59 AM »

Noted on the 3 VDSL lines I monitor, same exchange, different Huawei cabinets, they all had a DLM re-synch this morning within 15 mins of each other at around 02:00 hrs.
The DSLAM FW revision has not changed, in all cases there has been an increase in DS & US synch speeds with associated decrease in SNRM's, my line had the most significant change with a US synch speed increase from approx 5 to 7 Mbps. (40/10 package)

Certainly not complaining, with no change in DSLAM FW noted just wondering if there is any other significance associated with the DLM action ?

Edit: Typo correction.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: DLM Re-Synch's Today
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 05:03:04 PM »

There might have been changes to the head-end OLT, from which the fibre links to the cabinets originate, and thus a re-start of all associated DSLAMs was deemed prudent.

I'm sure that other scenarios, which would fit with your observations, are also possible . . .
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 06:17:51 PM »

Yes, makes sense, there has to be two ends to every comm's link !

I know re-connections to end user modems can be a bit of a lottery after a DSLAM outage depending on which user synch's first and so limits the cross talk factor, however as all 3 lines on different cabinets showed US synch speed improvements thought there might be some common factor ?

My line has certainly synch'ed at the fastest US speed I have ever seen which I would suspect will be very likely to return to "normal" on the next re-synch.

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 07:45:45 PM »

in all cases there has been an increase in DS & US synch speeds with associated decrease in SNRM's,

So what are the SNRm values now?

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2020, 08:14:14 PM »

SNRM values before & after DLM re-synch's:

My line, PN 40/10 service:
DS, 3.3 to 2.8 dB
US, 6.2 to 2.9 dB

Son's line, BT 80/20 service:
DS, 3.2 to 2.5 dB
US, 5.5 to 4.8 dB

Daughters line, PN 40/10 service:
DS, 8.3 to 8.3 db (no change)
US, 5.6 to 4.8 dB

My line is the longest of the 3 and showed the biggest impact, ie., increase of close to 2 Mbps US synch speed.

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2020, 09:19:59 PM »

This is confusing to get such low SNRm for US also it is common to see the "before cross-talkers sync." effect on DS and SNRm would be around 1.xdb so yeah the line will resync. in no time but the DS SNRm is not bad really and the lines can keep in sync, the US part is the puzzling with such drop on your line in specific do not know if this can cause a resync. unless there is a 3db SNRm profile for upload that is applied to your line  :hmm:

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2020, 02:10:44 AM »

None of the SNRM targets in the examples above were changed, just the current SNRM is lower than the target.

This is because the whole DSLAM rebooted and some lines came back on before crosstalkers.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

anything